hmm help plz

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by General Concrete, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

is it bad if your poems are more descriptive of surroundings and events than the emotions entangled in these surroundings and events.

I ask this because somehow I can't bring myself o write about emotions of any kind, keeping that a subject hinted at rather than somethign I write on

any ideas?
    test
  2. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

well hmm i really aint looked at your poetry but i am a good person to have critique your work if your open to my criticism.. i can tell you the answer more exactly when ill see a poem (reply and post a poem if you wanna see more than what im bout to say).. basically its like this emotion is the deciding element in who comes out on top when comparing any type of artists whether it be painting poetry music whatever.. you have to put emotion into what you describe if you want it to come out good you have to have emotion that is KEY.. now whether it has to be personal emotion well thats different you can write about something that makes you feel a certain way without actually feeling like that you just describe it but dont suffer over it, its a skill youd need to learn an im practicing doing that myself, this improves the quality of how much people goin feel you when you write emotional, cuz if you get good at appearing emotional when your not, when you are emotional your gonna come that much harder you know.. theres also another emotion when you feel not for yourself but for someone else, like world peace, children in africa, taking a view on ghettos 3rd person.. shit like that 3rd person perspective and you feel for the people or subject but its not personal, but there has to be emotion in that, if people dont do that they fuck up.. emotion is all about being human because if you only had a mind you wouldnt be able to experience things the same way so try to understand that whoevers gonna read your work they need to experience what you feel on somethin whether its your life or a more 3rd perspective thats the way it is a mind only comes as an add on to emotion in my perspective.. you experience the world through senses, the minds jus an add on to analyze what you experience so pictures first message behind the pictures if you want thats how you should write.. let the person determine what the message is the message doesnt have to be straight up in yo face like this is what the fuck im tryin to say.. you know.. basically writing you mightve associated as unemotional before i said this is probably emotional in one form or another.. all the best art includes emotional ties of some sort, theres no way to avoid this but putting feelings into a 3rd person subject is the closest youll get to goin around that, the perfect example of that is Nas.. talib kweli whoever else do that sort of abstract style wit jus words an no real picture fuck up cuz they dont come close to nas cuz they do message first pictures 2nd.. nas is the best example of a good 3rd person i can think of.. also doing "twist" poetry like puttin yourself into anothers shoes an then somewhere in the poem twisting it like switching from 3rd to 1st or from 1st to 3rd, like you live someones life an then just poof wake up like from a dream, that can bring emotion if you try to understand that person an that is a good way around emotion if you cant do emotional writing.. dont know what else to tell you.. live life an try to experience as much as you can your senses will kick in sometime an once you get that emotion write off that sometime itll really help your writing abilities.. some sort of emotion is inevitable if you wanna write well.. thats what a lot of people lack, an thats what distinguishes an artist or a good artist from the best of the best, they lack enough emotion.. try to compress emotion do not have too little words but dont overdescribe it jus kills poetry.. leave room for the imagination.. realize that people who are in the spotlight aint nothing more than artists and that their in the spotlight doesnt make them good artists.. that can go for poets rappers whoever you look up to.. see that recognize that an learn from it.. ok an last.. hinted subjects.. well this is metaphorical writing to me though not in the true sense of the word but thats what it is to me.. this is extremely bad if anyone can relate anything to what you have described.. you can tip toe around the subject but you have to describe it in a way that only a few limited situations can be applied to it and that people cant jus relate any sort of bullshit to it, and dont be overly metaphorical.. the best metaphorical poet on this board is utsikushikumegami (somethin like that.. forget the spelling).. i think shes the only one that does it completely right, second best is allnakey thats also very good metaphorical writing right there.. well thats all ive got.. look for inspiration an try to write emotionally.. thats key.. ofcourse maybe im takin this way more serious than you are..
    test
  3. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

thanks a bunch, i think i can relate to some of that especially writing in the third person, I'm more of a story teller than a poet
    test
  4. Feme Sole

Feme Sole Mrs. _Evil

nope thats not bad......just get comfortable in your own skin as a poet and when you are it will show......i write very metaphorically.....mind soul is good at imagery.....just do you and dabble with other things as well.....
    test
  5. ClydeSmiley

ClydeSmiley educate yourself

surroundings can express emotion indirectly, which is often more effective than coming right out and describing how you feel
    test
  6. Surreal The A.D. Prophet

Surreal The A.D. Prophet Wondrous Poetic

write prose to expand on that facet of your writing.

then you can get sharper with what you like. different form but you can change it and form it to what you want.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.