History Repeats: Sony Cutting Back On PS3 Launch

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by -Oz-, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

LOL @ Only 400k units in the USA. There is like 70 million ps2s wordwide, and they launching in USA with 400 thousand units.

If an Xbox 360 was out of reach last year, prepare to clutch air if you try to grab a PS3 when it launches near the end of 2006.

Wednesday morning (September 6), Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said the company will halve its worldwide shipments of PlayStation 3 this year to 2 million and will launch the system in North America on November 17 with 400,000 units. In Japan, just 100,000 units will be available at launch.

Kutaragi blamed the drop on manufacturing woes, according to an interview with The Associated Press. Sony is also delaying its launch of the PS3 in Europe, Australia and elsewhere.

The Xbox 360, which became the stuff of frustrated customers and drastic eBay markups, sold about 326,000 units in its first nine days of release last November — a sellout that represents only a marginally tighter supply than what Sony is now promising.

Sony spokesman Dave Karraker painted a more optimistic scenario to MTV News, comparing the PS3 launch figure to a more proven console.

"The supply we have at launch is comparable to what was available for the PS2, not Xbox 360," he said. "That being said, people shouldn't fixate on the day-one allocation number. They should instead be more interested in the overall units available through the holidays, which will be 1 million to 1.2 million, which are significant amounts that will provide retail supply week over week with no dips in available stock."

The PS2 launched in America in October 2000 with a shipment of 500,000, a figure downgraded from 1 million due to manufacturing woes. The system has since sold more than 100 million units worldwide, handily outnumbering the competing Nintendo GameCube and the original Xbox.

Getting an Xbox 360 last year was a near-impossible quest. Many retailers began taking pre-orders for the system in the late summer, only to discover that Microsoft was not shipping enough systems to fulfill even those earliest of adopters. Shops have been more cautious this year with the PS3 and Nintendo Wii. Major game retailer GameStop isn't taking pre-orders yet. One retailer told MTV News that stores in that chain won't learn their shipping allocations for another couple of weeks.

Those who want to get a PS3 will have a handful of options: line up at stores the day pre-orders begin, line up at stores not taking pre-orders on November 16 or prepare to bargain for the inevitably sky-high eBay auctions.

As for Nintendo's next console, the Wii, a company spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that the company will ship 6 million systems between launch and the end of March (see "Wii Surprise: Nintendo Controller Lets You Bend The Rules — To An Extent"). Sony has pledged to do the same. But the spokesperson said Nintendo is not ready to announce exactly when in the final months of 2006 the Wii will ship, nor how many will be available in stores in North America when it launches.

The PS3 will launch in the U.S. on November 17, priced in two versions at $500 and $600 (see "PlayStation 3 Unveils Big Price Tag, Surprise Controller"). The launch game lineup is expected to be announced at the Tokyo Game Show, which kicks off in two weeks.

I thought Sony and Microsoft were about even, but this has got to tip the hat in the favor of microsoft. At this rate it might take a year to get a system, plus you know if they having problems, its gonna be alot of fucked up systems out there.
    test
  2. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

and on top of all that.....they delayed it for the rest of the world till 2007.......

sony is not looking good at all
    test
  3. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

yeh thats crazy....well...by defualt sony will be in 3rd place cuz u know MS will have millions of 360s since they had a year head start...and the wii is so cheap to produce that nintendo will prolly have a nice amount of those...and that'll leave millions of unhappy gamers without a PS3 prolyl until march or , which im sure lots will either pick up a wii or a 360 in place of...or until the ps3 is in regualr stock..so..sony is REALLLY screwed here...is this the beginning of the end..?
    test
  4. Pistol Petee

Pistol Petee Pussy Eater

and they bragged about how its going to be out for everyone
    test
  5. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

Just sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Assuming its being manufactured already +2 months to release date, they say theyll have 500k units for sale. So from Nov16 to Jan1 they plan to be sending 500-700k more. So in a month and a half they plan to release more units than what they will have stockpiled for its release. Just makes it sound like they are holding back units to me so that when Christmas comes and demand skyrockets they will have better chance. I just wish i had the money and connections to get a few because Ebayers are gonna make a fortune.
    test
  6. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

yea man. i could give a fuck about sony. i like my 360 just fine. i just want to get my hands on one so i can make a fortune on eBay.
    test
  7. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

nah.....not marketing...

the cell processor and blueray are giving them a lot of production yeild problems.....
    test
  8. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

I believe 360 has a 12 million headstart. Anyway this will be the SECOND holiday season where Xbox360 will be on the shelfs, and essentially PS3 will not. Granted they will come into stores 2 or 3 at a time, only fucking nuts will be able to get them. Microsoft would be smart to do something here, I know they dont wanna do a price drop, but they have a huge window of opportunity now.

All in all, Nintendo is either gonna bomb, or do about as much as Microsoft. I kind of think shits going to be a 3 way tie. One of the reasons PS2 is so popular is because 200 bucks really aint that much money, there is no way the PS3 will ever go below uhhh 500? Maybe in 3 or 4 years.

I considered doing that as well. I dont think it would be possible to get 2 systems, might be, but itd be difficult, but im thinking a PS3 could go for 1500 online. Maybe more, who knows? I dunno how to sell shit on Ebay or id do it, and it dont help im too lazy too learn.
    test
  9. cyphamasta

cyphamasta New Member

i don't want 2. i know i won't be able to get my hands on 2. i just want 1. i won't be surprised if they go for 2000 on ebay.
    test
  10. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Damn this is great news for me.

Buy 2.. sell 1 or shit sell both of them bitches, make a hell of a quick profit. Hmmmm yup sounds like a good Xmas for me.

I can't wait to see the upper middle-upper class suburban mother's and father's spend out the fucking ass cause lil Johnny wants a PS3 for Xmas... hahaha... sh!t I might even bang the mom in the process... this is great!
    test
  11. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Nah, its the hardcore gaming nerds, and people who think they are too good to sit in line and get one that will be spending the big bucks.
    test
  12. V E R B

V E R B Guest

ps3 is too worried about xbox360 hahaha

thanks god i always liked xbox better than any ps2 console
    test
  13. Tigre

Bet.. 10 to 1.. this shit will be selling for about 1200 on ebay during Xmas.
    test
  14. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

nah more than that...the 360 was goin for 800-1200 so the ps3 whould reach over that easy....but still..u will NEVER be able to get your hands on 2 unless u pay someone to wait in line for 24 hrs with u lol...
    test
  15. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Yeah, I guesstimated them going for 1500-2000 dollars. I just dont see parents trying to pay that for a system for their kids, its a different kind of desperation that makes someone do that shit.

Ive had virtually every single system ever, except Xbox. Im by no means a fanboy either, but I got the 360, and im more than happy. I had the Gamecube and Ps2, and I bought more games for Gamecube than PS2, and Gamecube has a tiny catologue. Im not really a big fan of Ps2 either, the more I think about it. Outside Metal gear (which even so, has let me down), and GTA (which im also bored with), I dont think PS2 is even worth owning. Sony should be worried about Xbox, Xbox got GTA now, and they got their own franchises that are getting bigger and bigger. I think Halo might be the biggest franchise there is now, and Gears Of War seems to be on its way. Splinter Cell shits on metal gear too.
    test
  16. Tigre

hahah man.. I already have it planned. And it doesnt involve 2 ppl standing in line.
    It involves one of my clients father's owns 3 EG Game stores, along with other commerical property. It's all in the bag, shit this is the same way I did with the 360..lol.
    test
  17. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Nintendo is the only next Gen console and it's more of an alternative to the same fps, rpg that Sony and MS fight over. Putting it in this race is unfair because it's a pop contest. It will probably win hands down on the tecnological side. One day they will leave behind this stupid family image they seemingly keep trying to hold on to and actually return to the forefront of gaming culture.

And why people give a fuck about Sony is beyod me.

Between fixing their Wega TV's, their fucked up MP3s and their exploding laptop batteries, it's any wonder why anyone thinks this shit is going to work. I have no doubt I'll buy one in years to come, but why wait on something that probably wont even work?
    test
  18. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

You guys have to think about this...this is a marketing ploy. The current Blue-ray technology is "NEW" and it hasn't exactly caught on to the public eye yet. As with any new piece of technology...you have to iron out the kinks and imperfections. Noone ever thinks that the price of the PS3 is so high for the simple reason that it is expensive to produce. If a price is not particularly attractive, then why would you spend MORE money to produce and ship out more units when the return won't even come close to actually making a profit. Not to mention that some of the new systems will most definately have technological bugs..so Sony would lose even more money when they'd have to fix, replace parts or replace entire consoles. So, what do you do? You release less of your product and just sit and watch for a coupleof months. If bugs occur, you fix them. In time, as the people who have bought the game system brag to their friends about how "dope" the PS3 games are etc, the demand will begin to rise sharply. By then, the engineers would have figured out how to make more effective lenses and smaller silicon chips to support the blue-ray technology...thus..they can reduce the price and flood the stores with a higher shipment rate. What is the result of this? A system that has grown very attractive over time....a system that has let the 360 hype die down significantly...and lastly....a nice profit for Sony. It's all about economics people. Sony will prevail once more...and just in case alot of you have been sitting in the dark...Sony is a Japanese software giant. I'd trust japanese electronics over ANY microsoft/american made product anyday....yes it may be sad but Sony is playing it SMART & SAFE..and the PS3 will cripple nintendo(possibly for life)..Xbox will die slow for the simple fact that most of the titles for available for X-Box will be available for the PS3 and with new blueray technology...it will be a sweet deal.

You all can chant about your X-Boxes now...but...in about a yr....those things will not be worth anymore than a cement brick. Watch and learn....

By the way...Microsoft will have it's hands full dealing with all the problems that they will have with the new operating system coming out. Microsoft sucks complete ass. Having videogame glitches is one thing...but if you f*ck up mass amounts of computers with faulty operating system software...then you are out of BILLIONS of dollars from lawsuits..etc. Not to mention that hackers are ALREADY trying to find loopholes in the new OS software. And these hackers work for microsoft's quality control labs.....the world depends on computers.
    test
  19. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Ummm, i highly doubt Sony is putting their video game industry on peoples word of mouth. They are too fucking cocky, they think people gonna be waiting for their system, but they aint moving no where near as many units as they did with PS2.
    As for Microsoft, they got different departments. I highly doubt they will have their hands full. They aint gonna take someone working on 360, and be like "fix this computer!"
    Just like sony wont tell an engineer, leave that PS3 alone and fix this TV!

Sony thinks people love their PS2's so much, when PS3 comes out, they gonna drop 600 no question, and wait a year for it to hit shelfs.
    test
  20. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Sony is putting their video game industry by word of mouth. Microsoft is doing it, Nintendo does it..etc. And yes..people will wait for it..just like people waited and got hyped up for 360. 360 is really no stronger than PS2 to be honest. As for departments...I know that they have departments...but I am talking about total financial gain for Microsoft as a company which comprises the sales of all of their products. In terms of software engineering....Sony owns Microsoft.....hands down. In terms of being cocky, you'd be cocky too if you could design a dope system that causes people to: stand in long lines early in the morning....spend lots of money and start riots. I'm sorry but 360 may be hot shit right now...but wait about a yr....you will be playing PS3 like everyone else here.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.