Hiss/Fuzz constantly

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Pr0spect, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pr0spect

Pr0spect New Member

I've searched every where for the answer to this question.

I plug my speakers and microphone in to my mixer (studio monitors and a RODE NT2-A condenser microphone) All my equiptmentis brand new.

I then plug the output of microphone and speaker in to the computer.

BUT

whatever I plug in to my computer goes fuzzy hisses for instant

If I plug the speaker output from the mixer in to the computer theres a fuzz in the speakers

If I plug the output from the microphone in to my computer there is a constant fuzz when I record with the microphone..

I have a soundcard that came built in with the computer so I think the problem might be the basic soundcard cannot handle all these digitial signals?

HELP PLEASE!
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

You answered your own question.. your soundcard must be capable of what has become standard 24 bit / 96khz recording.. stock sound cards are not designed to handle these amplified signal.. the hissing is a combination of overload and interference.. if you have an extra pci slot in your pc then you can install something like an emu soundcard.. they work great for low cost.. if you have firewire on you computer then you can get a firewire interface.. there are also usb interfaces as well at lower cost.. though I dont recommend usb.. it has come a long way in audio, but is not quite as capable as the preferred firewire on up to HD connections.. good luck.
    test
  3. Pr0spect

Pr0spect New Member

Thanks for reply, I was pretty sure it was the soundcard but I needed re-assurance.

I have firewire on my computer so i'm going to have to look for a firewire audio interface for around £100-150
    test
  4. chilo1994

chilo1994 New Member

It may not be just the soundcard homie you said you have a condenser mic you using phantom power too? I know your units gotta have phantom power if you're using a condenser mic.

Other than that mr. Roush nailed your diagnosis I think. Just don't forget- the more expensive the better;)
    test
  5. Pr0spect

Pr0spect New Member

Na it was the soundcard I emailed the company who made my computer and he said this

"As standard the X2 Project doesnt come with a ASIO souncard, that is to be added as an extra. There is an onboard Soundcard that we disable in the BIOS but you can enable it to use it if you wish for standard music playing of mp3's etc."

I rang them up and they suggested I get a firewire audio interface and it will almost definetly take the hiss/fuzz away..

Thanks peeps!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.