Hey. I want to start making beats. What do I need?

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by perplex, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perplex

perplex on dat hippy hay

Okay fellas, this question has probably had its share, but please bear with.

I am looking to go back into making beats. What exactly will I need to make good high quality beats? I understand the fundamentals, however the technical aspect I am lost

I know I am going to need a keyboard, but what else?
    please I need a crash course.
    test
  2. KSoundz

KSoundz New Member

these are the three key ingredients to making a hot track. without em you just wont.

MIND

BODY

AND SOUL
    test
  3. Dskillz

Dskillz aka MG The Future

Time Patience And Alot Of Reading
    test
  4. Rasta

Rasta New Member

Get some basic, waves as a mastering program, and a daw if you want to do it on computer
    test
  5. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

keep in mind if youre not ready to invest your whole life into this
    you wont get far

im talkin about doin this shit every day for 10 yrs and not having a placement
    im sayin if youre not ready to have ur beats stolen and placed on a major album while u get no credit or payment
    if youre not ready to sleep on floors or load up a van with 10 of your people goin out of state to try and make some moves

dont even start.

if you can seriously accept the chances of those situations popping up
    you then need to figure which type of music interests you most

what certain sound are you going for

what exactly are you trying to do

once you figure that out you can narrow down which equipment will help you the most
    test
  6. perplex

perplex on dat hippy hay

thanks for the indepth reply^^^^

I use to make beats back in the day with MTV MUSIC GENERATOR

I play the piano so I can compose melodies pretty good
    I want to make beats on a kanye type of flavor. god knows im not on his level or anything i just mean the sound that he resembles

i dont want to make no beats that sound like booty shake shit

anyway, im just looking for the basic setup, like keyboard drum machine shit like that.

I need to know what i need so i can understand how to use these things, and where to buy them

Thanks for all the input. And for the record I am VERY serious about this and wouldn't have asked other serious people if I weren't.
    test
  7. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i would start off with a sequencer like fruity loops thats realy easy to use and sample with. and get our self a fantom 61 key...that should be a good start and should take you pretty deep into the beat making learning process, plus both are pretty easy to use.
    test
  8. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

well
    try out the mpc, kanye uses the mpc.
    basically youlll need something to play samples from (turntable + mixer)
    and the mpc to load the sample from your turn table and chop it up

at the same time you could make his style of beats with some samples and some software that lets you import files
    and u could most likely jus get trigger finger or what ever akai's anwer to that is
    that will let u play samples or sounds on it by hitting the pads
    jus like an mpc ..but using your pc

i use acid pro & reason
    which i think is pretty basic to learn
    but whats basic to me might be difficult to you

so try everything out if u can
    ask questions and get ur hands on some stuff before you settle down with it

and like my dude said
    you should start off with quality equipment, this way you dont have to go back and re-buy all the shit ull need

so if u know you need a 5,000 keyboard
    and cant afford it

dont get the 200 dollar casio cuz when u get that 5 stacks ur gonna come back to get what u wanted, and u wasted the 200 already.

wait until u can get exactly what you need
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

good post. id just like to add that Kanye generally makes his beats with the asr10 and only sequences on the mpc from what I understand. I could be wrong but thats my understanding. Anyway I think before you can really decide what you need for a setup you should come up with a budget of some sorts. You say you want to play keyboards and you want that kanye sound well a big part of kanye's sound is the fact that he samples. if you want that kanye style and sound you really cant get around it. I would say get yourself a budget and decide how you want to work and go from there. Try everything if you have to don't make your decisions based on what others think just do you and what you like.
    test
  10. Jyedigitech

Jyedigitech Member

man my setup is so basic it's not even funny. I got a beat machine, psr-540 keyboard, sampler, digital track recorder, 2 laptops(one acts as a linux file server, the other I use with the sampler to chop up samples on the go), one pc that gets the tracks from the digital recorder and I can make organize the beats with software, and then another system with more sound software where I clean up the beats and store them.

If you saw my setup you'd think I was off my rocker. But it's really my ideas that brings everything together. I have to say, my beats don't sound like anyone else's and maybe one day that'll pay off like it did for Rza- starting all that fast soul sampling and having it other copy it and evolve it like kanye did.

What I'd suggest is learning how certain things are done then finding equipment that can do them. *For instance, I got an older and dust dr-sp202, and I kept watching videos of how cats chop up a sample, so I broke it out a couple of nights ago and starting choppin up samples. In a nutshell, if you want it, you'll find ways to get it and do it.
    test
  11. Krazyjay da Rapper

Krazyjay da Rapper I'm the best there is....

all you need is the will to want to learn, the love for music, and the money to back whatever it is you're trying to do. At first, I was primarily into being a rapper, but as I got educated, I realized that production was where the money was, and I'm also a pretty well rounded musician. Just make sure this is what you want to do. I have yet to get a big placement with a company or anything like that, but I have done small things with Indie artists, and a little cash here and a littler there really starts to add up.

Personally, I would just try to feel your way through production like a lot of people here have done. Get a sequencer like FL Studios and just play around with it. When you come to a problem, it's no problem to ask anyone in the forums for help. Everyone has had to do it at one point or another. Congrats on your decision!

Krazyjay
    test
  12. MrKnitty

MrKnitty B. Dre

never get comfortable but once u get comfortable u get lazy!

which means u will get comfortable doing on thing only and not open to more ideas.
    test
  13. kojo

kojo New Member

Right now, if I had to start from scratch id go with:

1. Yamaha Motif XS6 - has awesome sounds and mix templates, comes with Cubase software so you can track out your beats into it or sequence your motif with it along with some Virtual instrument plugins.

2. M-audio Interface - I recommend a firewire 410 or firewire 1418, just in case you want to get Pro Tools for home use later.

3. Monitors - i recommend Wharfedales or Event TR-8s

4. headphones - i recommend the AKG K series

5. Motif DVD - Teaches you the ins-and-outs of using the motif if you dont like reading, along with some cool tricks.

6. Turntable - they got the USB based ones that are pretty good, my partner owns one. I have a Stanton direct drive myself. you can record/chop up your samples in Audacity which is free or do it on the motif or cubase.

7. Mic - Rode makes good ones like the NTLs (what we use)

8. Piano lessons - amazing how much this will help you out, definitely strengthens your ears and rhythm which are your most important tools in your arsenal.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.