HELP! purchasing audio equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by m0dus, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m0dus

m0dus New Member

Ok... so not to many people are into making music where I'm from so I've always just learned shit on the fly. Now... as I'm investing money into a set-up I need help figuring out what I should get.

Before... I was using a UB502 Behringer mixer to hook my Studio projects condenser mic to my laptop (mic had phantom power) and that was essentially it for equipment.

Now, I have a new custom made desktop. Same mic, what should I be using instead of the mixer (keep in mind im on a budget). Also, when I was DJing a concert last year I got drunk and had some shit stolen. most importantly was the shock-mount for the mic. So now I have to buy a new one.. are they 1 size fits all? or where could i find one that'd fit the Studio Projects b1 mic?

Thanks in advance
    test
  2. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Can't begin to give you any direction without knowing your budget.. but some general suggestions I can give you... #1.. if you're not married to that mic then I would look at stepping it up to something better.. before you ask which one.. keep this in mind.. nobody should be telling you a certain mic without at least knowing your plans.. so if you want mic suggestions.. will you be recording just yourself primarily or will you be recording others frequently too? Getting the right mic is not easy.. you could get the best mic made and it just might not match your voice.. let alone the preamp you are using...

#2.. forget the mixing board.. instead get a good audio interface.. before I could suggest anything specific you'll have to tell me the specs of your computer.. sounds like a pc.. is it firewire?

What recording software are you currently using?

Monitors are essential to obtain a professional mix... good monitors are expensive but will pay off

really your setup is only ever as good as the weakest link.. so there is no place that is really acceptable to skimp on.. not even cables.. you can eliminate non-essential parts of the chain to save costs without losing quality

so anyway, first thing first.. what is your budget.. if it's not very much then put it in an interest bearing savings account and start saving to get higher end gear.. no point in blowing your money on something you're still going to want to upgrade again later.. save yourself the money now until you can go straight for the kill.. if you can save $5-$10 large then that will put you in the game.. in the basement.. but in the game.. good luck.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.