Help picking out a good sub... details inside

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by style-rip, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

i got a 95 corolla, a 12" xplod, and a 301S rockford fosgate amp which can get 300 rms watts. any of u kno of the perfect sub to compliment this amp in the price range between 70 - 200 ? preferably 12" sub and if this amp is not big enough to accompany a new sub and my xplod, im willing to discard the xplod for 1 good sub that will make my car rumble... any help?
    test
  2. trifle

trifle New Member

image dynamics idq

you could also do an elemental designs k series sub, or o...
    test
  3. Sawred

Sawred New Member

^^very good subs,

also recommend adire shiva<---excelent sub

respl.com <--1 12" se would be perfect for that amp as well...
    test
  4. My boy's got 2 12 inch alpine type R's in his 2003 Celica GT. That shit thumps...
    test
  5. Seqwel

Seqwel New Member

Yea 108, alpine 12's are good for clarity.. but not for power. Besides his 301S rockford amp isn't gonna power those alpine subs :)

If you want real nice clarity AND power I would go with Kicker.

Right now I have two Kicker L7 15" Solobaric's powered by a Xtant 1001D 1000Watt Amp(1000 Continuous watts, not peak) Unfortunately With the one amp pushin both subs Im only getting 500 continuous to each. They can handle 1000 a piece.

Im also waiting on Kicker K40 4's, k693 6x9's, and audiobahn 2-Farad digital power capaciters to arrive.. hoping these will give it that extra clarity and kick.
    test
  6. trifle

trifle New Member

uhmmmm.....kicker, clarity, same sentence? without the words lack of within?

and why in the hell couldn't a 301s power an alpine sub? but a kicker would be better?

you worry me kid
    test
  7. Seqwel

Seqwel New Member

lol, if you havent heard the new kicker subs then you have no room to talk, and i said his amp couldn't power the alpine SUBS meaning plural.. as in both subs?

You need better things to worry about then me.
    Like learning more about new car audio equipment for instance, not subs that have been out of date for 2 years.
    test
  8. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Ok i will be the first to admit I know shit about audio systems.

Soooo wouldn't that rattle the fuck out of a little celica. Especially since it has a spoiler and shit. And why 2 12s in a celica. Isn't that overkill?
    test
  9. trifle

trifle New Member

Kid, if you really knew what the fuck you were talking about, this wouldn't be happening. I could really get you owned if you wanted me to, I'll do a bit on my own part. And by the way, having heard or known about certain products means
    JACK SHIT when it comes to knowing audio.

Heard new Kicker subs? Sure have, but guess what? The only new sub in Kicker's lineup over the past few years is the SoloX right? And that by no means is an SQ sub, so what fucking subs are you talking about kid? And why did you just say Kicker subs? Which ones are you talking about?

Let's break this down simple and plain kid...we'll go with an average size, the 12 inch for each model:

Kicker Comp - entry level sub...doesn't even need mentioning

Kicker CompVR - high entry level sub, sounds pretty much like ass, lots of cone breakup in the older ones, the newer ones have that rigid cone, but that only helps with the cone breakup sound, not the sound quality of the woofer, it doesn't even get that loud, couple a low surface area due to that oversized surround with an xmax that i've seen woofers of the 8 inch variety outdo easily, and soon to be 6.5 inch woofers beat by a FULL 4 mm and you've got you one quiet sub...not to mention the sensitivity is lower than that of a paralyzed person...

Kicker SoloBaric L5 & L7 - a sub meant to get loud, not sound good, once again, let's look at our stats, we've got a woofer that needs a special suspension due to it's square shape...that's going to be pretty limiting...

SoloX - spl sub, enough said..

You must have an untrained ear, most newbies to sound quality do, don't get all butthurt about it kid. Start learning your recordings, learning your equipment and how to tune it, and demo some nice equipment, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

I've NEVER associated Kicker with sound quality, and to imagine picking Kicker over Alpine for sound quality? I'd have to be on crack with peanut butter shoved into my ears.

Ok, get ready to get owned again....Why in the hell would the amp NOT power the alpines? Not enough power? If that's the case, you're retarded, 150w is enough for a type r, it'd be smarter to only go with one and give it the full 300w, but that's not what we're getting at.. If you're talking about impedance...

first of all, the kid only wanted ONE sub...
    He could get the dual 2 ohm version and series wire that to 4 ohms, bridge the amp, voila, 300w on his type r

Let's say he still wanted 2 subs, get 2 dual 4 ohms, series wire the coils on each sub, then parallel the coils, voila, 4 ohms, bridge the amp, good to go....and no I would not just parallel the coils and run one off of each channel, there ARE right and left variases in lower frequencies, while bass is much more of a mono signal, you wouldn't really want those differences showing up in your music, they would be a lot more directional that way as well..

So you want him to get a Kicker? What sub would work well with that amp? The Comp, you've left him with an entry level sub that sounds like complete ass...good job...underpower the CompVR? Sure why not, once again, a shitty sounding sub...congratulations on that one homey.

Now I'm really going to make you look like a real fucktard, you say subs that have been out of date for 2 years? Ok, the Elemental K, turns 2 this month, was it out of date as soon as it was created? And let's see, it's been completely redesigned since then, with a few reissues once better parts became available and they could continue to push the performance envelope. The O series sub is probably under a year old.

The image dynamics idq....let's see...the version 2 of that came out not too long ago...and even if I was talking about the first version, that's a great sounding sub. The IDQ is the best sounding out of the whole bunch listed on here, and way better than any Kicker. You could also try out the ID v.3s Your system may get loud, but how would it sound to someone with a trained ear? I've never heard a Kicker setup I was satisfied with, even when setup for sound quality, it's just not going to happen kid. Not until they introduce an sq oriented subwoofer at least, better write to Stillwater Designs and request that one kid.

I can't believe you run L7s and want to talk about subs that are 2 years out of date, what a fucking joke....

New or not has nothing to do with it, a lot of new gear sounds like shit, a lot of old gear sounds great, and vice versa...get your head out of your ass kid, new DOES NOT mean better.

I can argue this shit all day long, time permitting, where will you be?

And by the way, honestly, have you EVER heard an IDQ, or any Elemental sub, my guess is no...
    test
  10. BlkX

BlkX New Member

Holy shit that was amazing. I've never even posted on this forum before but my boy tryfuhl was kind enough to show me this little piece of entertainment. Normally i don't feel the need to make replies to posts as dumb as this one, but you are an exception my friend. If you think Kicker subs sound good, you've obviously heard nothing but pyramid. pyle, legacy, etc.

I had a pair of IDQ's that would rival the the SPL of the L7's and sound worlds better...i know this for a fact, a friend of mine has 2 12" L7's.

I would continue to explain why you are so very wrong, but i think tryfuhl has pretty much taken care of it.

If you want to learn about car audio come to www.caraudioplanet.com or www.elitecaraudio.com . I'll warn you though, if you think you got flamed in this post, don't make comments like that on either of those forums as you'll get flamed like never before.

I pity the ignorance.
    test
  11. flawlesskid

flawlesskid New Member

Hey smart guy, i bet 10 bucks to your 1 that i can dig up a woofer from 6+ years ago that will ass rape any woofer you've ever heard. Up for that bet? JL w1's and w6's come to mind. Boston Acoustics Pro .4 series. Hrmmm. I'm sure you've never heard any of those though...

Some of the best car stereo equipment out there has been around for years on top of years.

BTW, why wouldn't he be able to drive 2 Alpine Type r's with that amp? Oh, maybe because underpowering subs blows them.... Riiiiight..... Trust me my friend, you got a whole lot more to learn yourself before you can start mouthing off about shit. Oh, and can you give me an explanation of this statement "alpine 12's are good for clarity.. but not for power." Thats about dumb... Oh shit, there's more. Ha! Gonna run 4" coaxials and 6x9's heh? Yea, thats gonna be real nice. Especially with that 2 farad AB cap, we all know thats gonna make it more clear, well, maybe not CONSIDERING IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW YOUR SPEAKERS SOUND. Yessir, you're a regular Richard Clark buddy.
    test
  12. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Jesus Christ Trifle... that was a novel.

Damn you are 10x more detailed with that, than I have ever been about any car setup..lol.
    test
  13. Commenting on the Toyota Cellica sound system (I'm not sure exactly which components he has in it):

trunk -

Two twelve inch Alpine type r subwoofers / powered by
    two thousand watt Audiobahn amplifers
    a quartet of alpine speakers and tweaters
    and I'm pretty sure the price on his head unit was around 600 bucks. Alpine as well...

He also dynomatted as much of the car as he could. It's so loud I can hear the lyrics and feel bass in my car if I'm four cars behind him sitting in traffic.

Other specs:

TIMING ADVANCE CHIP
    INJEN COLD AIR INTAKE
    G-REDDY EVO CAT-BACK EXHAUST
    and some kind of generic brand for headers....not sure what could be pace setter.
    sitting on toyo ultrahigh performance (in the summer) 17 inch 8 spoke alloys

It's a sick car is all I'm saying...
    test
  14. Seqwel

Seqwel New Member

lol, glad you took the time to write that 2 page reply trifle.. you obviously were offended by something I said, which wasnt my intent. I was merly pointing out the facts that you failed to mention when you tried to "own" me as you so sadly put it..

You obviously have a bias opinion. As do I.
    But once again your facts aren't straight.. the SoloX is part of the Solo series.. as are the L5 and L7 Solobaric subs. So no, the SoloX isnt the only new sub to come out of kicker in the past few years.. and yea if we were talking about the best all around sub I would take a JL W7 over a kicker L7 anyday of the week.. but we weren't we were talking about the best sub in a given price range in YOUR OPINION. Which you obviously feel the need to push onto others.. in any case I could care less what the rest of your post concerned since it was chalk full of info that really had no relevance.

So you can keep your alpine subs and Rockford amps..(Im sure theres a reason Audio king/Ultimate Electronics stopped carrying Rockford)
    Just please think before you talk in the future..if you get this heated over someones opinion of a sub on an online forum.. well I wont say more.
    test
  15. BlkX

BlkX New Member

His facts are straight.

Sure the SoloX is a new sub, but is it a 10-15" sub with the same design features as an L7? I don't think so. You can group it in the "solo" category if you like, but the SoloX is entirely different from any of the L7's (except for being square).

Nowhere in his post did he mention having a liking for the Alpine and RF subs/amps. I'm in agreement with you there in that you can keep that stuff. The subs he mentioned, which you apparently didn't see....were made by Image Dynamics and Elemental Designs. These are the subs he was comparing to your beloved L7's, not Alpine. The L7 stands a pretty good chance against the Alpine, but won't hold a candle to most of the subs made by ID or Elemental.

Contrary to what you believe, he thinks before he speaks. I suggest you read before you speak.
    test
  16. trifle

trifle New Member

Hey man, that reply came in no time at all, this is the shit I love, and don't take well to kids mouthing off on shit they don't know and trying to correct me. As for it being so long, I'm sorry if you cannot comprehend, I can break it down for you if you'd like. And you easily got owned, you tried to come in all badass, and now look, you're trying the whole "I'm too cool for the internet" technique, you're a common everyday sucka kid.

I have no brand bias at all. If Kicker put out a great sounding sub, I'd be the first to admit it. I don't play favorites, a good sounding speaker is a good sounding speaker. And the L7 and L5 have been out for awhile man, they're not new, not at all. And by the way, if we wanna play devil's advocate, it's "chock full of info" not chalk buddy.

Sound Quality is not as subjectional as you'd think, there are very firm guidelines, there are preferences which vary, but that's a whole different story. If we were arguing over which sounded better, an IDMAX (well bad example since I haven't heard one) or whatever supersub, versus a W7, that would be fine, both are extraordinary sub, but fact is, we were comparing apples and oranges. When it comes down to having 300 watts, I don't know anyone who's heard BOTH SUBS that would pick the Comp, or even CompVR over the Alpine Type R, unless they have a VERY untrained ear, were listening to horrible recordings, and only cared about loudness.

Not your intent to offend??
    I wasn't offended by YOU, and in the nicest way possible, I was offended by your ignorance. Here on public forums some people take first advice given to them...I've seen this happen all too often, when everyone jumped on the Audiobahn subs bandwagon, etc etc etc...

Oh, and I fucking hate to be corrected, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch and I WILL drive my point across, if I end up being wrong, I'll admit to it, but if I'm right, it's a blazing hellpath to victory.

Alpine subs, Rockford amps? Never owned them.... I didn't even recommend them... The kid already has the RF amp, and someone else suggested the Alpine subs, I just merely had to save the poor kid that posted this from misinformation when you came in with your recommendations, and that's aside from bias..

Why do you mention RF being dropped from Ultimate? Maybe RF has a deal with Best Buy and other retailers, do you automatically assume it has to do with lacking quality? I doubt it...they still carry lesser quality amps, RF amps are fuckin solid man, not as much as they used to be, but then again not amps are... I have my preferences in amps, but I'd rather go with an RF amp/Alpine sub than an Audiobahn amp/Kicker sub anyday... Anyways, I know a guy who runs the car audio department at an Ultimate, I'll ask him when I get the chance about the supposed dropping and the motives behind it.

And as far as putting in the facts I left out? First of all, I see no facts, 2nd of all, in my "2 pages" how could I have left anything out? This was your first reply after that, and you did nothing other than try to bash me in your previous reply. How bout this? You tell me what I left out and the facts you put in to correct/cover me, and I'll give you a dollar for each one, I'll throw in some bullshit laying around the house too for good measure....so you find those things and you'll get a package full of somewhat useful shit and a few dollars if you can find anything, sound good to you? What's there to lose?

Well, here's my 2 pages..

Oh yeah, tig, I didn't get that technical....while you're a straight to the point call him an ass and have everyone follow, I'm more of the attack from every angle type of guy, because people don't know that I know what I'm talkin about like they do with you....also, remember I'm going into law school, good practice here...

I'd actually like to get more technical here on this board there just really isn't the "clientel" just like for you and car performance...

I wonder if I left anything out? :moon:
    test
  17. trifle

trifle New Member

Tdot, can you move the celica-relevant posts to a new thread please? I'd like for this to become an area of discussion...
    test
  18. Trifle, that was RELIVENT to this thread u dumb fuc...lol. Read it again from top to bottom and write another essay about car audio...
    test
  19. trifle

trifle New Member

Ok, take the cum out your eyes and read my fucking post kid. I asked him to take those threads and copy them into another thread, or split them into another one. I wanted to get onto the topic of rattling, and overdoing setups. It was relevant to this topic at all, you said your boy's got subs and they thump...that had to do with what? Were you recommending the subs, or just sayin what ya boy had, then tigre posed the question that he did, and you answered.... The only remotely relevant thing that it had to do with was the other kid bashed the Alpine subs. If you don't wanna read my shit, don't, stay dumb. But until you have the knowledge to write essays about anything but blowing cock, da fuck up off my dick, and go post elsewhere.

btw, relevant you fucking idiot
    test
  20. trifle

trifle New Member

Just spoke with my boy that runs the Car Audio Dep't at an Ultimate, says he met with his RF rep today, no word of dropping the brand. Where'd you get this info from?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.