Help: How do I go about soundproofing my room?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Ayhole, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayhole

Ayhole New Member

I have read a couple of threads explaining how to soundproof a room but I am still not sure how to do it. I have a pretty small room, don't have the dimensions, but it's small I think. Now the thing is, this room is in the basement and it has two doors, one leading into another room and the other into the garage. I also have a carpeted floor, so i don't know if that is good or not. I'm guessing the carpet absorbs sound or something. But anyway I'd like to make this room totally soundproof. I just bought a preamp, a mic stand, pop filter and an MXL condensor mic, and the the sound is ok, and I noe it is better because i can tell the gue difference from when I used to record with a 10$ comp mic. But now it sounds as if im recording in an open room or something and i hear sound traveling around, I don't if I am using proper terminology. But anyway if I was to go about soundproofing this type of room, how do I go about doing it. And can someone please explain in detail like is there a special type of foam to use? Would I be able to soundproof the room by myself or should I hire someone? Where can I buy this foam? Do I have to attach it all around the room(ceilings, certain spots, etc.)? Are there certain things I should extricate from my room, I have a glass desk, a wooden and a synth piano, and a big cabinet. And when I go through the process of attaching this foam or whatever else can used to the wall, what do I use to attach it(krazy glue, etc.) or is the backside of the foam already made sticky? Will I be able to remove the foam from the wall without damaging the walls incase I move into another room ? Do I attach foam to the door? Please, I need somone to explain this to me in detail. Help is greatly appreciated.
    test
  2. Ayhole

Ayhole New Member

test
  3. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

buy studio foam and surround the spot where you will be recording at with it, walls, ceiling, everything but the floor, the carpet doesnt reflect sound i dont think, ive never bought studio foam but i think it has an adhesive on the back, you can buy it at any online music store
    test
  4. Da Gist

Da Gist AKA dOCtOr RuN yA sHIt!!!

test
  5. BPINCpd

BPINCpd BP INC

if your real poor you can go to bed bath and beyond and be foam with egg crate design is 10 bucks a roll.
    test
  6. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

I give my approval of acoustics101.com

Foam alone will not soundproof your room. It will not even produce any serious audiable affects during the mixdown. You better bust out the hammer, nails, power saws, and the building permits.
    test
  7. BPINCpd

BPINCpd BP INC

^^ VERY true
    test
  8. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yup - pd jus puts up any dense materials laying around at his house in his closet to record, and at my house we got dense moving carpet and bed foam on the walls - it made a huge difference but thats because we were in a small ass room which sound bounced all over, the larger the room, the better the sound
    test
  9. Chucky Ounce

Chucky Ounce Theres probes in Uranus

^not really, if you gut like a walkin closet and foam up the walls shit sounds dope...
    test
  10. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yup - but a large room WITHOUT foam actucally sounded real nice but this is a basement room so there shudnt be as much sound flying around cuzza drywall n then wall
    test
  11. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

my room is small...but all the demensions are different numbers...and theres no foam...jus paintings and junk everywhere...i dont get any echo or anything...lucky me :)
    test
  12. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

go START - PROGRAMS - ACCESORIES - SOUNDPROOF

pzio
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.