have you ever questioned your own faith/beliefs? ...

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Nu'maaN, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... not so much beliefs, but some aspects of your religion?

i have, i'll admit.

one of my queries is why are all the prophets mentioned in the holy scriptures, male?

my other question, that i answered myself through research was why are most prophets mentioned of middle eastern descent?

the middle eastern part makes sense for islam, as the qur'an was revealed in arabia, so the qur'an talked about the prophets that were from the region to better help the people to relate. however, there are 1200 prophets that god has sent, only a few have been mentioned in the qur'an. it says that every nation was sent a prophet/warner, and muhammad is the final prophet.

another question is a male in islam is allowed to marry a non-muslim as long as the female is not an idol worshipper. but, with the same token, a female is only allowed to marry a muslim male?

i had other questions, but for now i'll leave it at this ...

[turn] ...
    test
  2. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Perhaps the marrying non-muslim thing has to do with how the woman is to submit to her husband, therefore better that the HNIC is Muslim? Don't exactly know how to rationalize it.

I wish I was better able to respond to some of these questions because they interest me. I'll probably return to this thread within a few days.
    test
  3. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Or should that be HSNIC?
    test
  4. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

haha, you racist prick.

my take on the marrying non muslim man would've been that the seeds take after the father's name, so it would be under his lineage and not hers.

hence, the end of the islamic belief system in their lineage? ...

[turn] ...
    test
  5. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

I was talking to friend and he was amazed when I told him no.

I never have stopped believing God exists.

It's not like it's something that's on my mind 24/7 though either.

I'm not all about religion though, I believe in God and that's it.
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Ive done my rebeling when i was younger but the further away i got the more i wanted it back.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

Plus ive had some mighty pivital moments that i coulda went one way an something pulled me out of it. Several times. Even friendships.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  8. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

changed my mind a couple times..
    test
  9. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

That's something that never would have crossed my mind. I get why that would be a big deal though. To me personally, it's quite trivial but I understand that train of thought. Pretty sure there are lots of people today that aren't even religious who might put up a fuss about children taking their mother's name, all from the father's side of the family. And that kind of thing can happen now especially if there's been no marriage.
    test
  10. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

from what, to what?

yeah but the question is not if you ever doubted the existence of god, nobody in here in my opinion does.

nobody has ever questioned? i find that hard to believe ...

[turn] ...
    test
  11. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Umm, perhaps the most interesting questions to me are ones of the authenticity of quotations especially ones attributed to Jesus. Also dealing with the gospels, and if the authors referenced other works and such, without giving credit - which would have been common.

It is widely believed that Matthew and Luke both referenced Mark (believed to be the earliest gospel). But there are other questions, like if the other things that are common between Matthew and Luke that are not in Mark were perhaps taken from a work that was earlier than Mark.

The hypothetical source has been called Q. Never been found, but interesting nonetheless.

Q source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Questions that arise personally on other issues though, yeah sure. A lot never really weighed on me that heavily though, so I'd have to think and find the kinds of things I'm after. Understandably I've been kind of focused on different questions lately that I've been forced to face, so...
    test
  12. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

pretty typical narrative of how heathens are made, i think:

raised 'catholic' without understanding what it meant. trained to call myself 'catholic' when questioned about my religion and was taught the children's version story of jesus and noah and a few other friendly bible stories.

family moved to the deep south, dropped the 'catholic' label became simply 'christian'.

took a bible study course in 9th grade and studied a bit of the old testament. the stories were completely different from my childish conceptions of christianity. full of man's blood and god's wrath. the stories themselves were very entertaining and the class was surprisingly a lot less boring than church had ever been, but the stories sounded completely make believe to me.

what we were studying seemed no different from the other mythology we covered in history or literature. so i dropped christianity as a personal belief structure but kept the label because really there seemed to be no alternative. people always had such an adverse reaction to 'non-believers.'

eventually i became one of those rebellious teenage atheists you always read about. of course i still didn't admit this to my family. i tried to tell my mother and she cried and said she wishes she brought me to church when i was younger, so i took it back and said that i was just kidding.

after a while of being just dead sure that god didn't exist, i realized that i was acting out of spite for religion more than anything else and that my feigned certainty on the subject could not be maintained, so i threw in my cards and said fuck it, nobody knows anything about god and i became agnostic. i'm still 'agnostic' to this day though i still sway back and forth from time to time as to whether or not i think god is real.

sometimes everything lines up so perfectly that i say to myself somebody was watching that happen, or somebody caused that to happen. but other times it just seems like wishful thinking, and no matter how much i'd like there to be a god and a heaven and a purpose i know deep down that it was a clever lie invented to control men.
    test
  13. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

interesting, a story similar to most agnostics/atheists i bet.

strangely, even though i went through a phase of not praying, not reading the qur'an, simply not "submitting myself to the will of god" - meaning, basically i wasn't a muslim. but throughout that drug induced and booze filled phase, i still believed that there was a god, somebody more supreme, more knowledgable, more everything than what we know as mankind.

i just have to look around at mother nature, and realize that it's by no accident that this all came to place. and believe me, i've read on alot of why we are created, and what purpose we serve on this planet.

the big bang theory didn't make sense to me, as far as human beings are concerned. let us allow the theory to breathe for a second, and agree that the big bang created the universes. okay. but who/what created the humans? i don't believe for a second we evolved from apes, because they co-exist with us. it's why it's still a theory.

christianity was nice, and comforting except for the fact that they treated a man/prophet as a godly figure which didn't really click to me.

judaism was just too jooish, lulz.

idol worshippers? no thank you. no chance i'll bow down to something that's created by a man, and ask IT for help when it can't even help itself if you push it onto the ground.

atheists? believe in nothing after death? no. no offence. but if there is such a profound meaning to life, there must be an even larger meaning in death. and i know that this can't be it. humans were not given intellectual abilities just to pass away, and rot. we are here to be tested, which is why sins are tempting.

buddhism and the reincarnation didn't really go well with my train of thought, there can't be an infinite loop of reincarnation. say i get reincarnated into an animal next life, depending on my actions in this. who decides whether or not i was a good animal. and from there, where do i go?

no, islam made sense. bias? perhaps, most likely. but i love the fact that there is only the one god that controls everything. he begets none, nor was he begotten. the supreme creator of all what goes around us. yeah, some prophetic stories do sound like make belief but they're just there for the good moral lessons we learn from them.

all i know is even if all religions cease to exist, i know for a fact (within my heart) that there still will be one god and even then i will bow down to nobody, no man, no thing, except for that one god ...

[turn] ...
    test
  14. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

no offense nu but evolution is a lot more complicated than that, we supposedly evolved from a common ancestor as the apes.. meaning some other primitive primate... not the exact apes that you see today per se. i know a lot of people have a problem with the idea that we came from lower life forms. there's just so much evidence of it that it becomes impossible to ignore. the part that is still a theory is that we all derived from a common ancestor but it is a fact that animals adapt and evolve over time to suit the needs of their survival. it's been observed on a microscopic scale... and even the domestication of certain animals as pets and the selective breeds we are able to create at will are all proof of evolution.

it's simply adaption on a grand scale. we observe it every day in nature. small changes over time add up to something massive. a good analogy to look at is the grand canyon, which is the result of millions of years of water eroding away the surface of a river bed. at first glace you'd look at that and say, no way this is here by accident. and yet there it is, and all it took was time.

but i can see why you wouldnt want to believe that life has no meaning.. it's definitely not as attractive an offer.. sort of reminds me of this:
    [youtube]7dW-bt_1LzY[/youtube]
    test
  15. Superman70

Superman70 edited

yeah, all the time.

i'm not sure if most of it is real. i probably shouldn't call myself a Christian.
    test
  16. TheBigPayback

Christianity is not about worshipping a man. I understand how u can see it like that if u havent really studied but just for instance take john 1:1 in the begining was the WORD, and the WORD was with God, and the WORD WAS GOD. HE was with God in THE BEGINING. Through him ALL things were made; without him NOTHING was made that HAS been made.( -the WORD IS Christ. See that.) john 1:14 the WORD BECAME FLESH(through jesus) and made HIS dwelling among us. (So jesus is the manifested word of God made in the likeness of human flesh. To show us the Word of God(the bible) is possible for man to keep. But whats so great about it is that the first man adam made mankind sinful by his one act of disobedience. Christ made mankind righteous through his life of righteousness essentially undoing the curse of man. Therefore our dwelling living an death in christ became a death for our sins so that we would not have to die for the sins we commited but are justified through our faith in Christ.
    Posted via Mobile D
    test
  17. Thrizzy

Thrizzy 3.T.

Pretty sure the question is have you ever questioned your faith.

My faith is in God, and I've never questioned that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.