"HATTON wants FLOYD? Sign the contract!" - Team Mayweather

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by ~OMagic~, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dun dun dun dun

dun dun dun dun New Member

Yeah, that's how it works... the man is the person who beat the man, etc. The belt that Floyd won was simply a paper belt that was once Tszyu's.

Fighting Hatton at 140 will do a lot more for Floyd's career than fighting Hatton at 147. Floyd was never the true champ there, therefore he can't ever be considered the #1 boxer at 140. Even Mayweather fans will tell you this.
    test
  2. ~OMagic~

~OMagic~ Well-Known Member

Thats obsurd, why does Mayweather have to go chase Hatton at 140??

Hatton even knows thats ridiculous, Hatton has already said he knows the fight wont be at 140, few weeks ago he proposed meeting him at a catch weight possibly.

Fighting Hatton at 140 for that belt means nothing more than "Ohh, Floyd has another belt."

Floyd has already won titles in all these weight classes, winning titles means nothing now.

He's just trying to fight the best guys for the most money.

Hattons version of the title meant nothing to me, he beat a passed his prime Kostya Tszyu, who was fighting like once every year at that time.

Hatton has to chase Floyd, Floyd doesnt have to chase him.
    test
  3. dun dun dun dun

Mayweather doesn't have to chase Hatton at 140, but it would be best for Floyd's legacy to have the fight there because Hatton is champion.

Hatton holds no belts at 140, he holds the lineal championship, which has more signficance than some green strap around your waist. If Mayweather wants to gain any recognition for his work at 140, then he fights Hatton. And he knows this.
    test
  4. ~OMagic~

But what I'm saying is this.

Everybody knows Floyd is the man, when Floyd beats Hatton its not gonna matter what weight class its at.

He could beat Hatton at 154, at the end of the day he beat Hatton, the guy that is supposedly the man at 140.

It doesnt matter what weight they fight at, the win over Hatton is the win over Hatton accross the board.

Now if you are arguing in terms of "Who are the best 140 lb guys ever?" then yeah your arguement makes sense.

Floyds more worried about being the best ever period, than the best ever at pick and chose a weight class. When you;ve fought through 5 weight classes, its hard to be the best ever at one of them because you are constantly moving in weight.
    test
  5. dun dun dun dun

Of course it matters what weight they fight at. Hatton's a completely different fighter at 147 than at 140. Why do you think no one gives Jermain Taylor credit for beating Ouma and Spinks? Because it was the case of two men fighting above their ideal weight class. I don't care how much weight Hatton walks around at, it's obvious that 140 is his ideal fighting weight.

If they want to make the fight at 147 for Mayweather's championship, then so be it. But Floyd certainly won't get as much credit for beating Hatton there than beating Hatton at 140. Fans are going to point out how poorly Hatton looked against Collazo, and they've got a legit point.
    test
  6. ~OMagic~

Its different for Hatton.

He's fighting at 140 because his punches dont have the same effect at 147, and his chin is much worse at 147.

But its different in the sense that Hatton lives at around 185 lbs, he should not be fighting at 140. Thats another reason I call him over rated.
    test
  7. MyKe SeaN

MyKe SeaN Paula Deen is my hero.

^Floyd would be too fast at 140....Hatton has a better shot at beating Mayweather at 147. People are making it like Floyd been at 147 for five years or somethin. Hatton will get that ass taxed at 160 against Floyd
    test
  8. MyKe SeaN

If Hatton wants to be a bigger name in boxing then he needs to fight Mayweather at 147....He will not get many big money fights at 140. He needs to fuckin move up. Before you know it, he will be asking, everybody to come down to 140 to fight him.
    test
  9. dun dun dun dun

Uh, as opposed to Ouma and Spinks, whose punches had the same effect at 160 and could take a middleweight's punches? You could make the same argument for almost all fighters who move up.
    test
  10. ~OMagic~

Why are you bringing Ouma and Spinks into the conversation as if I am giving JT props for beating those smaller guys??

You are missing the biggest point, Hatton outweighs Floyd by AT LEAST 30 lbs. Ricky Hatton must come fight Floyd at 147.

John Ruiz didnt come down in weight to fight Roy Jones Jr. Roy Jones wanted something that Ruiz had, so he had to move up.

Hatton wants Mayweather, so he has to move up.

Another thing, The weight limit is exactly that, a LIMIT. Hatton can come into the ring at 140 if he wants, as long as hes under 147. Just like Floyd didnt try to put on any pounds to fight Oscar, he came in at 150 for weigh ins and he entered the ring at 148.
    test
  11. dun dun dun dun

Because you said:

"It doesnt matter what weight they fight at, the win over Hatton is the win over Hatton accross the board."

So either Taylor doesn't get credit for his wins over two guys who were best in a lower weight class or Mayweather doesn't get credit for his win over a guy who's best in the division below 147.

It's still irrelevant. Hatton's most effective weight is 140 and Floyd still has never won a championship at that weight class. If Hatton fights Floyd at 147, then fine. Floyd would destroy Hatton. But you know the fans are going to be saying that Hatton is too small to be a welterweight fighter and that he looked like shit the last time when he fought Collazo.

I agree that Hatton should move up, but if Mayweather wants to solidify his legacy as a Top 20 or perhaps even Top 10 fighter of all-time, he absolutely needs to win a championship at 140.

Mayweather uses his agility and speed in the ring while Hatton relies on his strength. By coming in at a lighter weight, Hatton is taking away his primary advantage.
    test
  12. ~OMagic~

You are confused,

The difference between Hatton and Ouma/Spinks is that those guys are normal sized guys for their weight class.

Ricky Hatton isnt, he just cuts ridiculous amounts of weight.

And Ricky Hatton is the exact same fighter at 140 that he is at 147, his punches just have more of an effect on the smaller guys at the 140 lb division.

He's not hitting harder at 140 than at 147, its just that hes hitting small guys.

No weight class is gonna give Hatton the advantage against Floyd.

And Floyd won the most recognized sanctioning bodies belt at 140, and he was the best guy at 140. The guy who beat the guy (who was out the door) didnt want to fight Floyd so Floyd moved on.

In 20 years historians will say "Floyd won the WBC at 140" they wont say "Floyd was the best ever at 140 cuz he went down to beat the guy who beat the guy who was out the door"

Beating him at 140 is not gonna do any more for his legacy, this aint like its some out the water ass accomplishment. Floyd has already fought at 140

Not 1 single boxing expert has said the fight should be at 140, if they have link me. Even Ricky Hatton hasnt said that.
    test
  13. dun dun dun dun

140 is a normal fighting weight for Hatton. He just has a terrible habit outside of the ring. Height-wise, he's on par with someone like Casamayor or Freitas.

I agree, Mayweather is the clear favorite over Hatton at any weight. But it just so happens that Hatton's best weight is 140 and coincidentally he's the champion of that division, so it's in Mayweather's best interests for his legacy to go down and capture that championship.

There's only one belt that boxing fans should hold with relevance, and that's the Ring Belt. You were at this position a while back defending Mayweather's decision to fight Baldomir for the lineal title rather than Margarito's WBO title and I supported what you said. Now you're doing a complete 180 and talking about more alphabet soup titles rather than the only belt that matters. WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO... it doesn't matter. They're all just trinkets. The sooner you realize this, the better boxing fan you will be.

Mayweather might have been the best boxer at 140 head-to-head, but in the long run, no one will recognize this. Everyone will recognize that Tszyu and Hatton were the champions while Mayweather was in that division.

If Mayweather doesn't fight Hatton, history will regard Mayweather as the best at 130, 135, 147. And a titleholder at 140 and 154.

Beating Hatton at 140 is going to cement Mayweather's legacy. No one has ever won championships in 4 different weight divisions. Mayweather could be the first.

Hatton hasn't said anything about a Mayweather fight other than that he wants to fight Floyd. As for boxing experts, I'm too lazy to look, but I'm willing to bet that if you ask them what weight the fight should take place in order to favor Floyd's legacy, they would respond 140.
    test
  14. ~OMagic~

Height has nothing to do with the weight you fight at. Height wise Tyson shouldnt have been a heavyweight by ur standards. Height wise Diego coralles shouldnt have been at 135. Bad habits is one thing, but fighting at 140 and living at 185+ is another thing.

Oscar didnt come down in weight to fight Floyd at Floyds best weight now did he?? Mayweathers legacy has nothing to do with going down to 140 again. He's been there and done that. Beating that FIGHTER is far more important than beating what the scale reads. Oscars best weight class wasnt 154, but Floyd beat him at 154. What do you hear people talking about... Floyd beating Oscar the fighter or Floyd beating Oscar the 154 lber as opposed to the 147 lber??

And no, wow stop reaching. The Margarito/Baldomir situation was COMPLETELY different. Beating Ricky Hatton the person holds more stature then beating the weight at 140 to win the IBO Belt (not even the belt Ricky got from Kostya).

Kostya was a good champion during a small time span, but nobody knows who he is. He will not be remembered for anything other than being a good champ for a little while who made Zab do the chicken dance. Floyd will be remembered as the best fighter of his generation, period.

And you are COMPLETELY wrong. History is not going to regard Floyd as the best at 147. People like Ray Leonard and Trinidad had better careers at 147. Floyd is gonna be remembered as the best fighter of his time from 154 on down. Hes not gonna be remembered as the best at these weight classes (maybe the best at 130 and 135 ever), he will be remembered as the best overall guy regardless of weight of his time.

Floyds won 5 championships in 5 weight classes.

Hatton mentioned things about a catch weight a few weeks ago, he knows the fight is not gonna go down at 140.

Sorry but there is no reason for the fight to be at 140. Not one boxing expert is even mentioning it.
    test
  15. dun dun dun dun

Height has a lot to do with what weight you fight in. Of course there are exceptions like Mayweather, Tyson, Corrales, Caballero, etc, but for the most part, height dictates what weight class you'll be fighting in.

Oscar would've had a lot of trouble making welterweight, plus he wanted to use every weight advantage he could get against Mayweather.

Stop overreacting. The situations aren't that much different if you ignore the minor details and just focus on lineal title vs. ABC title. You still don't get it by mentioning the IBO belt, huh?

Tszyu is arguably the most accomplished junior welterweight fighter in history. He'll be remembered as such.

Obviously I wasn't speaking in terms of all-time. I'm speaking in terms of their time fighting in their division. Spinks was the man, then Judah was, then Baldomir was, and now Mayweather is the best at 147.

As far as all-time, I consider Floyd the best at 130. He's not in the Top 10 at 135, and he's not in the Top 25 at 147.

Wrong again. Floyd has won 3 championships at 130, 135, 147. He has won titles in 5 weight classes. I'll say it again, the sooner you can distinguish a lineal championship from a worthless ABC belt, the more knowledgeable of a boxing fan you will be.

Well that's their decision, but the facts are there. Mayweather still has never won a championship at 140, and he could be the first to do it in 4 different weight classes.
    test
  16. MyKe SeaN

I agree with OMagic
    test
  17. MyKe SeaN

At the end of the day, Mayweather will be remembered as one of the greatest and most technically sound boxers in the history of the sport.

oh yea, height does not dictate what weight class you'll be fighting in. If that were the case then Margarito, Paul Williams, Jermaine Taylor, Hopkins, and Tarver would've been Heavyweights or CruiserWeights. You dont know shit about boxing....
    test
  18. ~OMagic~

dun dun dun dun, when will you realize that you sound foolish??

You holding EVERYTHING on the Ring Magazine Championships.

Ring Magazine has been the best boxing source for a long time, but just because they didnt recognize you as the champion in a weight class doesnt mean you are not a champion in that weight class.

Floyd won the WBC along with other belts at all 5 weight classes hes fought at, while remaining undefeated. Something NOBODY has done.

The thing the belts serve good for is the fact that you win it in the ring. I've seen people bounce up and down the Ring rankings without even stepping inside the ring. So stop acting like the only thing that matters in boxing is the Ring Magazine championship.

Floyd Mayweather was P4P #1 while he was the ring champ at 140, so what does that say??

Ring Magazine is NOT a sanctioning body, so they couldnt make Mayweather become Hattons Mandatory.

Ring Magazine is opinion based, they are on point a bunch of the time, but not always. As far as they are concerned, Ricky Hatton can just relax for two years and still be the ring champ, until somebody decided "Hey lets call somebody else the champ."

With sanctioning bodies, when you change weight classes somebody else is awarded the interim champ. Not with ring magazine, where Ricky was allowed to move to 147, then when he found out hes some shit he ran back to 140 with his "Ring Championship" still waiting for him, while he had to enter to ring to win the other belts back.
    test
  19. ~OMagic~

And yeah, height dictates nothing, thats why its called a WEIGHT class.

There are 5'9" heavyweights and there are 6'1" welterweights.

According to dun's logic these wins now mean NOTHING because the losers were not at their best weight class.

Hopkins over Tito
    Wright over Tito
    Hagler over Hearns
    Hopkins over De La Hoya
    Mayweather over De La Hoya
    Every heavyweight that beat Holyfield
    Whoever wins the Wright/Hopkins fight (Neither are at their best weight class)
    etc...
    test
  20. dun dun dun dun

Mayweather possesses solid fundamentals, but he is also very flawed in some aspects. He leans to his side way too much when performing the shoulder roll, however his natural athletic ability allows him to get away from such flaws. I always explain to kids at the gym to watch a fighter like Baldomir or Juan Diaz if you want to see boxers with terrific fundamentals. Baldomir wasn't as fast as Judah or hit as hard as Gatti, but he managed to beat both of them because he's a technically sound boxer. If you give Baldomir Floyd Mayweather's natural athleticism, he beats Floyd 10 out of 10 times.

What about the hundreds of other boxers who fit right in with their divisions? And no offense, but I've forgotten more about boxing than you'll ever know.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.