Handling an "up and down" artist?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr. Verbalist, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=418595&songID=3123397

^^^snippet from the actual song.

"Sam, what do you mean post a clip of his "high's and then low's?""

sorry i worded that really poorly...what i ment is post a snippet of the uncompressed vocals that has a good example of both the low dynamics and high dynamics like from 40seconds to 1min05...i think that about covers his entire range...
    test
  2. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

if it's clipping when you're recording, you're recording too loud
    test
  3. Atom React

Atom React aka JAYO

he shouldnt be jumping that high and that low that many times in a track
    i mean shit haha, what we talkin bout here
    test
  4. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

theres always the people who jump up and down in volume too tho thats why compression goin into the computer to me is a great idea even if its all software setup into the audio channels
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

still, if it's clipping when they're recording, then you're recording too loud

getting the hottest signal possible while recording is so 10 years ago
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

lol true but i still like to do it
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

theres no point though

i set my levels at like 1/3-3/4 of my meter and the tracks never clip

i can always raise the volumes of shit later if i need to
    test
  8. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

And plus, it is always better to raise the level of vocals in a mix, then have to take down the level
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

^noise floor
    test
  10. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

if it's that high, your gear is ass

even on my shitty ass mixer the noise floor is -40db...if i ever had to raise something up that high then that's retarded

record with your levels at like 1/3 to 3/4 and you'll be fine
    test
  11. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

stupid comment...

lol

regardless how low YOUR noise floor is...

everyone here is NOT working with the type of gear you have. For you to make suggestions like "record low, then raise later" is just bad advice for the people who look at this shit on this board.
    alot of people have "ass" gear here.
    and alot of people take dudes like you and AON's word for gold here... so consider who your talking too man...

so if they follow your lead with your dope "quiet" gear, then they're fucking themselves up.

and i still try to get the loudest, cleanest signal i can get WITHOUT clipping, and using a hardware compressor. The point is to get something INTIALLY recorded that you dont have to do much adjusting too. That always turns out best. Hence the reason soundchecks are run.

and when im running sessions in the studio i work in, i never have issues. I'm running a studio that has a nice mix of analog/digital gear... and i know plenty of engineers who operate the same way, and some who operate like you do with the "record low, then raise up"... but they all have the all digital "pro tools" cookie cutter setups.

so it's not "so 10 years ago"... stop acting like your technique is the ONLY way to do shit.
    test
  12. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

well, considering i was refering to my nice $40 mixer that i bought at radio shack 10 years ago, im pretty sure everyone has BETTER gear than that. even on shitty behringer/nady/apex/other generic crappy brand gear the noise floor sits at somewhere around -50 to -60db

recording with the hottest signal possible is something that got carried over from the analog tape days, it's no longer a valid recording practice, and isn't used by studio engineers recording on digital these days.

actually, no it's not...i'm not saying record so you can barely hear it, but it doesn't need to be almost clipping...a level of 3/4 set up before the artist actually gets into their music will likely go over the top anyways, thats why i say a mic check at 1/2 will be more than sufficient when recording...i don't take a weak signal by any means, but theres no way i'd ever want something so hot when i compress/add effects it distorts (which can happen when you record as hot as possible)...as far as "raising later", i'm talking like maybe 6db, MAYBE, not bringing it up like 45-50...

most of the time i'm using very similar gear for recording: ksm 32, wharfedales, e-mu 1212m and a mmp2 pre...definatly in the same budget as people here have....some have way better gear than that at their houses, i only suggest things people can do WITH THE GEAR THEY OWN, as opposed to the things I know how to do in a studio

it IS an old technique that isn't practiced as much anymore, thats fact, not my "technique", and obviously it's not the only way to do things, theres an infinate number of suggestions when it comes to recording and mixing
    test
  13. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i agree with you on this....

i rather get the best possible level initially without clipping.
    when i do my mic tests, i get the artist to spit his verse how he's going to spit it on the track, then lower it until it sits in the mix nicely, without touching red at all...

we are operating the same way, the degree of how low you were recording... thats what i didnt get, but now i see your not really recording "low" per say...

o well... and im not really recording "as hot as possible either"... lol
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

exactly, i'm recording so i have headroom incase i need to increase something later, or eq and add effects, as that also changes your gain structure

the only reason why you'd record as hot as possible is to get tape distortion/compression from analog tape

when recording digital (which everyone here does), it's pointless and will cause your tracks to get fucked up
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.