Handling an "up and down" artist?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr. Verbalist, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

yeah but when your doing deep compression with 30+ db of gain reduction your gonna need longer release times then normal
    test
  2. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i still play golf
    test
  3. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

30db of gain reduction? Are you crazy man!!!? That will sound like a dead cat shoved in a blender! I used to have around a 4 handicap my sophomore year of high-school, then I graduated last year and now I don't play much. :)
    test
  4. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

you'd be suprised...try it first...use the starting points that i layed out...with the threshold starting at 20db below the lowest peak in the singal...try it with the C1...
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

why not just use a hardware compressor so that it records into the computer at an even level
    test
  6. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

"Oh and Sam, I tried it and it sounded like a llama's fart." - Mr. Verbalist

haha really? that bad? with the c1? could be the quality of your source vocals...its defenitly not something you do with something that has a high noise floor...or maybe you didnt do it right...or maybe it really does sound that bad...who knows....but you know what you can do that will certainly work, but involves more time...you can cut up the vocals into a million peices, lay those pieces out on seperate tracks acording to dymaics, mix each track seperatly so that the sound a little more consisten in volume, if you cut them clean, itll still sound natural... then route them all to a group buss...then slap some hard compression on...nothing to squash it, just to catch any of those really big dynamics...then throw another layer of compression on top of that as you would a normal vocal track...this is a sure winner right here...
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

that sounds like too much work unless hes in a serious Daw (aka not cool edit) he can probabaly setup the track to compress his vocals as they come into the computer also. I know Cubase does this as does Sonar Nuendo and Live I wouldnt be surprised if pro tools did it also
    test
  8. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

you can do that with a software compressor as well, if you know what you're doing :):

but i'd still rather record clean and process later...most of the time it ends up better that way
    test
  9. Mr. Verbalist

I got the Roland MMP-2, so I can compress while recording.
    test
  10. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

sure its more work, but its not difficult, its just a little tedious...and if yo can set up a group buss in cool edit, then it can be done...and as far as compressing vocals on the way into the computer, im going to second arcane on this...i would much rather record dry, and then deal with everything later...however some hard compression/soft limiting could help knock down some of those big dynamics...but of course i would definetly perfer to record at a lower level and then do that after everthing gets into the daw...
    test
  11. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

sometimes when you have super SUPER loud artists... a hardware compressor REALLY comes in handy... even if its just light compression.

so if your recording an artist, and they hit a part were they clip and distort... you can't go back and fix that with a software compressor, that's why i wouldn't put all my faith in software.

also... sometimes i rather not risk recording low, then raising it later, because all that is doing is raising the noise floor on the vocal track, which is going to come back and bite you in the ass, later on in the mix.

i rather get the cleanest, dryest, loudest signal i can get without clipping, and then edit from there.

of course everyone operates differently in there own studio enviroments...
    test
  12. Mr. Verbalist

^ That's probably the best way to record though. So everyone should try to record like that. =D
    test
  13. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

exactly. record with a hardware compressor and do some light compression like 4:1 or something like that just enough to keep everything about the same but not fuck up the vocal at the same time
    test
  14. Mr. Verbalist

^ True, and I always use a soft knee just incase. As for the threshold, I set that around -6 about.
    test
  15. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i completely agree with you, the only time i would consider compressing/limiting the input is to prevent clipping...verbalist's issue is a completely different one, his is a matter of controling dynamics, not clipping. controling clipping is a tracking issue, controling dynamics is a mixing issue. yeah they are similar and related, but two different problems, at different times, and completely different ways to use a compressor...
    test
  16. Mr. Verbalist

Well, I just recorded a 16 and a chorus of him. I really hit the compressor hard at first, but then didn't like the sound, so then I eased up on it. So let me know what ya'll think. He sounds like Cassidy on this shit.

http://www.soundclick.com/verbalist Orion - Fresh (Rough Draft)
    test
  17. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i hear what your saying with this dudes dynamics...i had a really bad case with this one rapper too...very similar at times actually...ill post an clip of it in a min

this is defenitly not a comperss to prevent clipping issue...its a mixing issue and i wouldn't use anything but the mildest of compression, if anything at all, on the input...

...im assuming the other track was even worse...but this dont sound bad...without cutting up the vocals like i described, i couldn't tell you exactly what to do with out hearing the raw vocals...put up a snippet of it that has both his highes and his lows in it, and then i can give you a specific technique (only cause i would have to fiddle a little to know my self)
    test
  18. RePerCuZionZ

RePerCuZionZ Square-Wave Creator

You can compress the fuck out of it if you want, but its all about the "Knee", how the knee is set will dictate if it sounds mad compressed or more natural
    test
  19. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

test
  20. Mr. Verbalist

Sam, what do you mean post a clip of his "high's and then low's?"

It sounds like you over-compressed those a bit, but i'd have to hear it on the beat. I see what you mean also towards the end too.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.