Handling an "up and down" artist?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Mr. Verbalist, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

One of my boys that records at my crib often gets "up and down" alot, no matter how much I try to tell him to try and keep it more level. He shows great emotion and everything but how would I compress it without over-doing it? His average levels are hitting around -9 .. then he has some words that peak around -2db .. then some real low ones at around -12 to -15db ... That's hard to tame .. so I'm using this big ass compressor and it's not sounding as good ... :(

Any suggestions?
    Attack, release, ratio?
    test
  2. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

Fuck the compressor....get a choke chain and train him...
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

see:
    compressor
    automation
    test
  4. Mr. Verbalist

I have seen nothing on "compressor automation." =(

Any other ideas?
    test
  5. Fame-S

Fame-S New Member

i dunno what automation is, but i think he meant compressor and automation. 2 seperate things.
    test
  6. Mr. Verbalist

Arcane, how do I automate the volume/signal? I'm not really sure what "Automate" means, so could you explain and tell me how to do this?
    test
  7. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

fader automation...

when they get loud, it automatically brings the level down, and when they get soft, it brings it up

both are set to a pre determined level written by you to the track...

thats provided you're using a DAW or mixing console that has automation capabilities...

i know pro tools, logic and most larger mixing consoles do, not sure if Nuendo and Cubase have it, although i'd assume they do

i know for a fact adobe audition/CEP dont
    test
  8. slvicick

slvicick New Member

in cubase/nuendo turn on the write button and move the faders while the song is going
    or under the track hit the plus sign and you can draw in any automation that you want to use
    test
  9. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i personally wouldnt automate the compressor, i would automate the actual fader itself.

i'd have a compressor on an insert on the vocal track, but automate the fader... so its compressing the signal as i write the automation, as opposed to changing the compression settings, or even automate the gain on the compressor.

be creative... its alot of different methods to do it...

:)
    test
  10. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

i never ment "compressor automation"

when things are on seperate lines they are generally refered to as different things
    test
  11. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

and for the record, nuendo has extensive automation capabilities
    test
  12. Mr. Verbalist

Well I'm using CEP, so I'm fucked. Fuuck
    test
  13. Enigmatical

Enigmatical Damn Commie

you need to cut his vocals up first of all..

if he wants to be a retard and and go from being quiet to yelling then he will have to figure out how to divide his lyrics up so he record them seperately so he doesn't sound like an autistic person...

you can automate the volume levels... which is taking the over all volume level of a track and changing it... instead of keep the the level the same db.. from where u start... there seemed to be some confusion....

you can compress the shit out of it so that all of the vocals are just as loud.. but that sounds horrible....

the dude just needs to learn his art... i don't care how emotional he is
    test
  14. slvicick

slvicick New Member

drawing in the volume envelopes in Cool Edit is the same as automation in any other program
    test
  15. Mr. Verbalist

Yes, slvicick. I saw the envelopes used on CEP. That looks like it would take a while to make each little passage level. I can understand using it on a singer, because of less words and longer notes, but on a rapper it seems difficult. :-/

I hate mixing.
    test
  16. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

not completly, but they do have a similar effect
    test
  17. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

i think a combination of compression and automation would be the best thing to do also...but theres a couple of different tricks you can try...imma gonna be generous and share some mixing "secrets" lol.

heres a compression technique that you can try and see what kinda of results you get. take what ever compressor you like (i like waves c1 for this kind of compression)...you want to start threshold to about 20 or 30 db belove the low peak of the signal...start with the ratio at like 3...you want a quick attack time nothing more then a few of mili seconds, starting around 5 is good...you want a long release time...i like 250 to start with...of course your going to have to gain markup the signal so that its loundness is about what it would be without compression...tweaking the release with this kind of compression is going to be key because its whats gonna minimize any pumping effects youll likly have right off the bat...then its just a matter of tweaking it to your liking...

if that doesnt produce good results for you, you can do something else too with out messing with automation, that will all most certainly work, but its much more involved, ya gotta get your hands really dirty with it...
    test
  18. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

im not sure if your ready for it though lol
    test
  19. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

im only joking of course
    test
  20. Mr. Verbalist

I've always noticed with a shorter release (anywhere below .5 - 1.s) will cause "pumping." Though having a longer release "tends" to cause the lower frequencies to distort quicker, so like you said I usually set the release anywhere from 1s to 2.5s (250ms)

Sam Sneed used to play golf bare-foot to get a sense of balance. :) I love golf.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.