Hancock Movie Subliminally Racist?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by B. Fury, Jul 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B. Fury

B. Fury Active Member

Surely, it wasn't by mistake that Will Smith was selected for this particular role [pus]

Check this out. Some white dude posted this message on IMDB. It had me crackin' up. I didn't post on the thread because it's not worth the argument. He got roasted by whites that are "fed up with the race card" but they were really pissed because it hit home - especially coming from one of their own:

by flapdoodle64 8 hours ago (Wed Jul 2 2008 11:59:42)
    Ignore this User | Report Abuse Reply
    I saw this movie, and it is racist as all hell:

Here is a film about a nasty, nasty-looking, black guy who is extremely disfunctional and acts like a total idiot until some white liberal gives him politeness lessons and convinces the black guy that jail is the right place for him to go (nice job Mr. Liberal, yeah, prison is the thing to make a good citizen out of a person, works every time, every guy coming out of the can is a real choir boy...).

This super black man happens to be the only black character with more than 3 lines in the whole dang movie.

The black guy happens to be the strongest, most powerful guy on earth, and knows it. But he can't figure out what to do with his abilities until some unsuccessful white guy tells him what to do and how to dress (!).

Here's the topper: this super-powerful black guy totally looses all his special powers if he kisses a white woman.

I admit, I am a white guy, so maybe I don't know enough about this subject, but this film struck me as pretty racist. I think we have enough problems with prejudice in this country and I won't be taking my kids to this movie.
    test
  2. Namor

Namor Prodigal Sun-god

he's right-exactly how the media promotes racism
    test
  3. barnizzle

barnizzle HIP HOP

Racism = Method Of Control
    test
  4. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Hai guyz, while we're talking about the themes of movies, did you know that The Matrix is about Plato's Allegory of the Cave? Or wait, was it about anti-consumerism? No, wait, it was about social constructionism. And human prescience. Then again, there was that whole thing about freeing your mind. And then there's always the possibility it was just an action movie with some wicked cool effects.

JR: "So you're kind of involved from the beginning [in developing your films]?"
    Will Smith: "Yes, I am actually, I'm involved in the entire process."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIke1jpjVRU
    test
  5. Coherent.

Coherent. New Member

he's just trying to show off for his black friends...leave the wanksta boy alone.
    test
  6. CharmSmoker

CharmSmoker Illest RM Poster

I thought the matrix was about the pyramid western civilization created
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

boycotting a movie. that some hardcore bra burning shit.
    test
  8. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

lmao. u have to be already racist for that thought to enter your mind. you have to be constantly thinking "black man" when u see will smith to imagine that.

in all honesty, most people who talk about subliminal racism are really only projecting their own feelings.
    test
  9. Dex Luiz

Dex Luiz Guest

Exactly.

Fucking exactly.

Great post, Rich.
    test
  10. B. Fury

B. Fury Active Member

Hollywood has always been notorious for even some intentional racial undertones in their films, but we can just agree to disagree on the subject.
    test
  11. Namor

Namor Prodigal Sun-god

reverse psychology only goes so far.

thats seems to be your only point of reference & ansewer for pretty much evrything...

way to think inside the box-ALL THE TIME
    test
  12. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

So the logic is to boycott a william smith movie therefore taking money out of a black mans pocket? Moonbat thinking never seizes to amaze me. Not smart, seeing how alot of things in movies are just subjective anyway.

This issue here is the same old same old, If people have nothing to be against they will make something up and rebel against it. Prehaps it's boredom, paranoia, historics, misinfromation, or just plan old contrarianism that drives them. Or it could be they feel they haven't voiced their right to dissent in while therefore are feeling rather unamerican. Ergo, carrot and stick. Ensues.

But Of course I could be wrong and the movie really is intended to be racist, but that still isn't going to help out Will Smith. Sure you could say he doesn't need the money, but if his movie flops because of this, it could damage his movie career thus damaging his demand to be in future movies, somewhat. Which would piss me off because I happen to like will smith movies. So do we really need another Mc.hammer because of our delusions?

What was with the 1996 romeo and juliet?

A black mercutio protrayed as violent and homosexual?
    Were they trying to subliminally implant in our unconscious mind that black men are violent and homosexual? Or was Harold Perrineau just protraying a character that happend to be violent and flamboyant? For my money, mercutio was the best thing about that movie out side tybalt. I recommand people watch that movie it's pretty clever.

And lastly, what was with the frist terminator? I mean Arnold Schwarzenegger barely had any lines to say.
    What about Black snake moan? Didn't a black man help a white girl get back on her feet?

Bottom line: One could say it's actually racist to say a black man can't play a unhappy, alcoholic, super hero living in his own fantasy land because he's BLACK! Unless of course you rather the role went to a white man or some other race?
    test
  13. Namor

Namor Prodigal Sun-god

^black people get fucked up roles in Hollywood in general

I just saw "The Love Guru" two weeks ago. Based on the Bill Boards for them movie-I didn't even know there were any black people in the fuckin movie!

However- same black Guy from "4o year old virgin" was one of the main stars in the fuckin film...

go figure

its bullshit

is subtle-only b/c being obvious would attract too much attention

it could also be subconcious at times

but the result is the same

thus it needs to be addressed
    test
  14. BARACKO BOMBER

BARACKO BOMBER New Member

Haven't seen the movie so won't comment on the alleged racism. But even if it is intentionally racist, what should be done about it? You say it needs to be addressed. As in what: broad censorship, boycotting, or perhaps just complain about it until white guilt sets in and prevents white liberals from enjoying the film?

A lot of movies are alleged as racist these days, and they may be, but it seems the only time it's addressed is when pandering to minority groups. Some of the most obvious racism in movies is in black comedies, although they are probably in the white man's pocket as well, I don't see anybody boycotting these movies. Look at Soul Plane. Spinning rims on a plane, every other black stereotype exploited to the max, and of course Tom Arnold plays the uptight akward white guy that seems to make a guest appearance in every black comedy. But do black people and white apologists flock to bash these movies? Maybe, I sure as hell don't see it. Do I waste my time and effort actively boycotting these films? Not a chance.

Another point that's slightly off topic but I find interesting is the •••ish influence in media, and how they seem to be the only group above criticism in films. On one hand you have the Passion of The Christ, which depicts them killing Jesus and all hell breaks loose. Mel Gibson should've known better. On the other hand you have Bee Movie, and this may sound silly but I saw this movie a while back and I couldn't but help notice the •••ish propaganda within the film. The bees are the •••s, honey = money, bees work their whole lives to make honey, they are a tight nit community and when their son is revealed to have a girlfriend his parents 'just hope she's bee-ish.' The bees sue the man (the white man) for taking all their honey, after traveling to a honey farm and discovering that the bees were being kept in chambers and being smoked into working (maybe an off-hand reference to gas chambers?). Eventually the bees win the law suit (big suprise eh?) and all their honey is returned to them, so they have more than enough and decide to stop making honey, flowers are no longer pollinated and the ecosystem falls (economy?). Then of course the je-, I mean bees, come back to save the day.

Moral of the story - without •••s we'd all be fucked. You all must be outraged.
    test
  15. barnizzle

barnizzle HIP HOP

test
  16. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Everyone plays fucked up roles in movies whether white or black. It depends on what the movie is and what it calls for. In hancock, the super hero was suppose to be an ass hole who changes his attitude. Reality check, black people like white people can be ass holes. That is what makes us Human. And when you actually see the movie you'll realize Hancock had swagger and is one funny motherfucker. Part of the plot is hancock has amnesia, it was addressed he was married to charlize theron. Who was his super hero wife for 3,000 years. They could be together but that would make them both mortal then you wouldn't have a movie. She even explains that every super hero of their super human god-like spieces were made this way. Given It's a lame kryptonite idea. But It wasn't racist it was something super heros have to deal with Choice. Do you choose your love or saving the world? If the chick was black and this movie followed the same plot you wouldn't even be saying anything. The movie is basically about a man finding himself again, saving the world, and shoving heads up asses. I don't think Hancock was even trying to be subliminally racist after seeing it.

As for fucked up roles. Would you say Tupac played fucked up roles? I thought alot of his movies were oscar worthy regardless of how fucked up the role was. Would you say Edward norton has played fucked up roles? I thought alot of his movies were oscar worthy as well regardless of how fucked up the role was. Actors choose their roles or they audition for them. Or they write a script themselves and make their own movie.

Alot of the black comedies don't even put white people in their movies, unless it is to clown on them. Which isn't racist, it's hiliraious! Matter of fact, go watch the movie Dead heist on showtime, E40 breaks this white guy down like he gave birth to him. Shit was hiliraious.

I think people are blowing this hancock movie way out of porportion and seeing things that aren't there.
    test
  17. mattafact

mattafact My album > yours.

well played. it's worth noting that he eventually cleans up his act too in the end and is no longer this apparently offensive black caricature.

people always trip when a black person is playing a drug dealer or something, like HEY THAT'S AN UNREALISTIC DEPICTION OF SOCIETY! and then on the flip side, black folks get mad at bill cosby show for being "too white" when the family is successful. the irony is that the huxtables are the unrealistic portrayal of society, statistically.

stereotypes are fun. and a real time saver.
    test
  18. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

Woah. Even I'm like "WTF????" and I'm the resident raciologist! I loved the movie. Will as the stright man in a comedy works. He did it in Hitch. However, I was thinking: why not use a real fuckup? What if Will were cast in Iron Man and Downey in Hancock? I was watching this like "I'm having a hard time picturing Will as a fuckup." but Downey is funny, an oscar-worthy actor, and a classic fuckup.

And Mike Epps??!? A 2 minute cameo??!? Da hell is that??!?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.