GTA 4 Review

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Wrecktify, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

Ok, so this game was finally released and i got my rented copy in the mail today from gamefly. All I can say is that this game is disappointing. Where do I start?

1) The driving sucks...it's even worse than GTA 3...
    2) the controls for walking are clunky and disjointed...
    3) The controls for fighting are unresponsive and very slow.
    4) The voice acting is good
    5) I like the fact that they have mini games like bowling to break up the monotony. I'll be honest, I spent alot of time playing the bowling game..that was the only thing fun abt this game.
    6) Every other word is titties...fuck, shit or some other offensive word...it's ok occasionally..but the content in these games is getting ridiculous.
    7) did I mention that this game was monotonous? OHH, now u have the option to go on dates...which is ok because u get to do minigames....most of the time...I ignored Rico or whatever his name is just to go on dates to play minigames. The missions suck...it's either save rico's punkass, beat someone up or kill someone.
    8) The graphics suck...they don't look next gen at all.....they're like smoothed out PS2 graphics used for GTA 3.

I don't even need to say anymore...this game is horrible. It's the same old stuff. I hope this is the last GTA. They delayed the original launch for THIS? wow....this is getting sent back tomorrow.
    test
  2. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

1) The driving sucks...it's even worse than GTA 3...

It does at first, but after about an hour it's already grown on you. I've always preferred the GTA approach to driving, rather than the GT/Forza, uber realistic approach.

2) the controls for walking are clunky and disjointed...
    As they are in most 3rd person games. Hitman, Splinter Cell etc.. You get used to it.

3) The controls for fighting are unresponsive and very slow.
    Actually, no. They are pretty good. Not Mortal Kombat amazing, but still, good enough.

4) The voice acting is good
    Some of the Eastern European/Borat accents get irritating, but I agree in general.

5) I like the fact that they have mini games like bowling to break up the monotony. I'll be honest, I spent alot of time playing the bowling game..that was the only thing fun abt this game.
    Agreed. I think the story is your typical crap. The mini games, which were done PROPERLY this time round, keep it interesting, if not simply enjoyable.

6) Every other word is titties...fuck, shit or some other offensive word...it's ok occasionally..but the content in these games is getting ridiculous.
    That's what this game is. A comedic mock up of cliche extremes of character/society. It does get annoying as fuck. Roman's vocb is 'American', 'titties' and 'Niko'. However, it's a dramatic improvement on 'Nigga...', 'aye' and 'nigga' that plagued San Andreas.

7) did I mention that this game was monotonous? OHH, now u have the option to go on dates...which is ok because u get to do minigames....most of the time...I ignored Rico or whatever his name is just to go on dates to play minigames. The missions suck...it's either save rico's punkass, beat someone up or kill someone.

The missions do actually get better, but for the most part I agree. It gets tedious QUICK because this for most of us this is the 6th time round (not including the 'Stories' games).

8) The graphics suck...they don't look next gen at all.....they're like smoothed out PS2 graphics used for GTA 3.

I don't think even Rippy or I would go that far, but even if they were, I couldn't give a shit. I'm still happy playing blurry N64 games.

I agree about the story. They really need to up their game. Even with the fanatics, this is going to get old. When you have games like Bioshock, Half Life 2 and even COD4, offering much, MUCH more engrossing and rewarding story lines, you really should be trying to offer something new rather than the same cliche story with a new ethnicity on the front of the box.

I like the game, I'm playing it but it's pretty much for the enviroment and mini games. The story is the usual uninspired school boy gangsta dream.

They can make as many more as they want (and if EA buy them out, then they invariably will), but they really need to start workign on a better story line/format rather than putting more and more mini/side games in to distract the gamer from the black hole.

Maybe I'm just growing up, to each their own. Don't get me wrong, the game is brilliantly made, but I've been shooting cops for like 10 years now. It's not wrong to want a decent story.
    test
  3. ReverseSWAT

ReverseSWAT Active Member

Horrible Review... 0.1/10
    test
  4. Look im Gangsta

Diz GaMe Iz aMazInG

u sHooT dA CopZ!!!!!!
    test
  5. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

Yea, when you're grown...u see games from a diff perspective. I'm an older gamer and I've played just abt every GTA game except San Andreas. The game may attract newcomers to the genre but to someone who has seen it all before...it's the same game with new missions, online capabilities and the addition of more minigames. I liked the expression that you used Ratiko.."distractions"...cause that's what they are. To anyone who disagrees...I'm not hating on the game..everybody likes different things and looks for different stuff in a game...it just doesn't strike a nerve with me..that's all. And yes, like Ratiko said....maybe it's an age issue too. This stuff is stupid, offensive and childish to older gamers.
    test
  6. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

This is actually the most polished gta ever released....

as far as the driving sucking...i have to disagree with you 100%...the driving is on point....as a matter of fact......i notice that people who say the driving sucks...dont like..or arent good at driving games....the driving is perfect and couldnt have been made any better....maybe they could have made it more accessible and easier but it doesnt exactly fit with the feel the game has to have a car going 70 mph into a sharp turn without crashing..learn to slow down before a turn and you wont have any problems with the driving.....

as far as the walking controls are concerned...they are better then any previous gta game......same with the shooting mechanics....i just cant agree with you on any of this....

The characters and story are fleshed out big time......and until you've played the game for a couple of hours your technically still on "training" wheels...

ratiko saying its the usual school boy gangsta dream means he hasnt even played the game long enough to flesh out the story......theres reasons as to why niko is where he is.....and niko has a dark past.........I find it odd that wrecktify is going on about how childish the game is when its clearly the most grownup game in the whole series........the best part of the game are the characters you interact with and thier own intentions and reasons for what they do.......the whole scenario you encounter with playboy x alone is some serious shit that i can say ive seen happen in real life...not to the same extreme...but very very very similar

....I dont even like going around "shooting cops".....it feels stupid in light to how much more serious the game is......its a lot less cartoonish and there are repercussions to joy killing characters....but obviously none of you have gotten far enough to experience the choices and impact that your decisions have on the game.....

and the game is gta...what can you possibly expect from missions other then drug runs....car jacking...and shooting.....your complaining of this is like saying call of duty sucks cause all you do is shoot guns.....its a retarded argument against a game about crime......its fucking crime....what else do you expect the character to do? go to a dental appointment?
    test
  7. Type Williams

Type Williams ATTITUDE ADJUSTER

all you do on madden is score touchdowns!!! TALK ABOUT FUCKIN REPETITIVE!!!

lol... i kid... anyway...

Liquid has a point, I dont even want to run around shooting people like i did on previous GTAs cuz with the way the story keeps twisting and turning as I go, I find myself trying to complete more missions to see more cutscenes...

The guys i work with that sit around the lounge and watch me play are like "yo go shoot some people"... fuck all that...
    test
  8. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

Yes.

You seem to dislike every new release that has some backing behind, wrec. Maybe it's not the games getting bad, maybe you're just outdated.
    test
  9. Langford

Langford New Member

The driving is the best it's ever been. It's just more difficult compared to the older GTAs, so you might have to practice a bit.

Also, how about a mention of multiplayer in the 'review'.
    That's where the real time is going to be spent on this game for most people.
    Probably not enough stuff to complain about there, I guess.

I haven't gotten far in the game yet, but I've read enough to know that the story is going to improve. Every review I've seen (from professionals who play all the 'great story' games even) says that the story is one of the best things about this game. I have to guess that anyone complaining about it also hasn't gotten far enough to rate it.
    test
  10. Look im Gangsta

I think people are having problems with the driving because of the 'on side' camera angle. People were moaning in my house because they didn't know you could change that.

And I've reached Playboy and the story is picking up. It's nothing amazing because of the mission format etc, but it's certainly better than last time. It's good enough to keep me going to do the missions because San Andreas bored me to death. The characters are more enjoyable this time round with Bruice and Playboy.

You start off with the same boring cunts in Roman and Vlad etc, which prompted my previous post. I'm glad to say I was wrong. I hope the story picks up even more.
    test
  11. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

lmfao @ getting a shitty review from someone that was claiming how shit GTA was before even getting his rental .. then posting a 'review' whilst only an hour or 3 in to the game ..

as for repetitiveness - Type Williams hit the nail right on the head .. "all you do in madden is score touchdowns" ..

all you do in MGS is sneak around and shoot a few people for 5 minutes between every hour long cutscene ..

all you do in Gran Turismo is drive cars turning left and right for hours on end ..

all you do in Tekken is mash a few buttons to fight ..

NOTHING ELSE !! ..

GTA - hmm .. all you do is .. oh wait .. there's so much you can do .. psh ..

and I'm 27 .. so it has nothing to do with "oH cOoL I gEt To ShOoT CopZ" kind of mentality .. it is genuinely a good game with solid gameplay, decent graphics, good voice acting, entertaining story, poor AI and some nice touches like great radio stations and good mini-games ..

worthy of every 9/10+ it has had ..
    test
  12. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

Like I said before, to each his own.....

Call of duty 4 was a great game, Condemned 2 was great......GTA 4 sucks. Obviously, what I said was my "opinion" of the game. When you disagree with me, ask yourself what the word "opinion" means and hopefully that will calm u down.
    test
  13. Langford

Langford New Member

opinions will be disputed on message boards.
    test
  14. KnightMere

KnightMere KnightMere

best game ever made..
    test
  15. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

I am calm you dimwit .. my girlfriend doesn't like GTA either .. I respect that ..

but you decided to make a thread (even though there is a GTA thread to express opinions) with 'your' opinion how shit the game is .. like your opinion is worthy of note .. it's like Menaz writing a raving review on Assassin's Creed after 12 minutes play .. after weeks of saying (and defending) how good the game 'would' be ..
    test
  16. Wrecktify

Wrecktify New Member

Well if you respect ur girlfriend's opinion, then respect mine..dipshit. It's an "OPINION". If you're really calm then stop trying to refute someone's "OPINION". I never portrayed as what I said as being factual...is ur skull that thick to not understand that? Shit. Insulting and attacking someone over a stupid videogame? What the hell is wrong with you?
    test
  17. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

don't put your opinion out there if you don't like it being refuted .. prick ..
    test
  18. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

the graphics suck?? wtf......i've never seen an open world this large look this amazing...

The driving does suck, but you get used to it.....

the walking controls are way upgraded, still not hte best but def not bad.

the shooting is actually fun now, could of used some more tweeking......

the game play would be monotonous but their are missions to break that up.......

i'll dorp an official review, but seeing as how i'm only 30% in i'll have to wait

also the dialouge and story is amazing and hilarious.....
    test
  19. .KeyNote.

.KeyNote. Guest

you know theres always those over analytical niggas that just HAVE to go against the grain

not surprised

game aint for everybody(i just thought it wasn't for children)
    test
  20. DeSiMaTiOn

DeSiMaTiOn U Dont Want None

I aint got to check it out yet.. i want to though
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.