Gsp v diaz or silva vs gsp @ 177.5 lbs catchweight?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by DethStryque, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

Personally,I really like both guys--they're my top 2 in MMA,with Silva being #1--but I think that Anderson is just too big for GSP to fight him @ MW.I honestly think that Anderson will beat GSP no matter what weight they fight at,because I think that Anderson's standup defense (something that is not given the incredible amount of weight that it should have by most MMA heads),Anderson's reach,accuracy,speed,mobility,striking arsenal,devastating firepower,underrated takedown defense,bjj arsenal and gnp defense,explosivity and strength are too much for GSP.In GSP's last 3 fights (Shields,Kos,Hardy) GSP has shown that he'll still beat anybody who can make WW but it seems as if "big" WW guys give him more problems (because let's face it: Shields,Kos and Hardy aren't WW they're MW or small LHW who cut to WW) than legit WW guys do.Anderson is bigger than any of those 3 except maybe Shields when Shields is fighting LHW.Anderson--like GSP--simply takes away his opponents' strengths and forces them to play into whatever game plan that Anderson has. But Anderson would find it

And I'm afraid that if Anderson wins via comprehensive KO or TKO (which I predict would occur) that it would damage the marketability of GSP. I think that the future of MMA rests squarely on GSP and Jon Jones' shoulders,with guys like Edgar,Phil Davis,and of course the mighty Jose Aldo right behind them. I want these cadre of younger fighters to carry MMA forward and much further into the mainstream.The kind of damage that I fear that GSP could receive at Anderson's hands could delay and would certainly weaken the appeal and power of GSP's "brand".

I'd watch the fight if it happened,but with a sense of concern for GSP.

However,the GSP v Diaz fight is a wholly different thing.

That fight could be spectacular. Diaz is clearly the best mix of striking and subs that GSP has ever faced.Nobody else is close. Diaz won't tire (this dude has multi marathon endurance) he has a long reach,and his striking style is a danger for GSP's still developing defense. Plus the trash talk that Diaz might unleash would be ill.Aaand a cross-promotional title fight between two extant organizations? Very good. Plus it gives Strikeforce some much needed shine for its excellent cards and fighters.

But it probably won't happen because I don't see Dana wanting to give Strikeforce shine on a UFC card.
    test
  2. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

I'd rather see Diaz vs GSP or Diaz vs Silva at this point over GSP vs Silva..

twitter.com/therealjayo
    test
  3. DethStryque

Silva would cage rape Diaz. Do you think that fight might be worth watching?
    test
  4. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I used to think GSP would easily wrestlefuck Silva. But seeing him so tentative to finish Shields has changed my mind. I think Silva would end him.
    test
  5. jayoo

I think it'd definitely be worth watching, of course silva would be coming in maybe 15+ heavier though an more than likely be that guy to pick apart the pick apart artist (Diaz) but it'd be interesting because so far Diaz had brought the standup to every standup fighter he's fought why not give him the benefit of the doubt an watch first

the only reason diaz wouldn't go mw to fight miller is because he felt as if he's the champ he shouldn't have to bend unless it's for s championship match at 185, unless he was paid a LOT, but with silva he took the suggestion silva's manager threw out to gsp about a 178 catch weight an said he'd do it because.. its silva, but no one ever made much of the comment

twitter.com/therealjayo
    test
  6. haatley

haatley Well-Known Member

diaz not that great. we know what happens when he fights strong wrestlers. see diego sanchez and sean sherk fights.

i also, however, think gsp has better stand up than diaz as well. and i hope to god he doesn't decide to go get his ass handed to him in a boxing match.
    test
  7. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i would love to see silva vs. gsp but i think the weight difference would hurt gsp. silva moved up in weight and still knocked out both guys pretty easily. gsp has great hands but we talkin bout silva here! it would be a great fight but i think that silva's striking would b too much and gsp would b knocked out. i dont believe gsp could hold him on the ground which i feel would b his only chance
    test
  8. SprungyMC

SprungyMC Active Member

I personally think both fights would be really massive convincing won. one by silva, the other by gsp. Diaz isnt touching GSP, no matter how much hype hes gathered in Strikeforce, he wasn't a top welterweight in UFC the first time around, why would he be now. There is really no challenge for GSP in WW. I also think because silva walks around at like 220, he is too big an powerful for GSP. I mean if Silva cut all that weight to get down to the catch weight, it could happen, GSP will be in better condition. Still has his wrestling etc. Anderson would probably tire more from doing such a big cut, but I think Silva would still take that fight down. Preferably what I would like to happen is GSP moves up to middleweight and Anderson moves up to Light Heavyweight. That'd make things interesting, there'd be new interest in Middleweight, GSP fighting the rest of the divisions top heads. Anderson already shown he can kick it with the lhw, and imagine silva vs jones, that could be epicly good. i personally think Silva woulda murdered Shogun aswell, so the fact Jones obliterated him doesn't mean as much in that sense. Thats a fight I'd like to see.
    test
  9. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

id have to agree that would be a gud fight. jones may be the only serious threat to anderson silva. i personally think he would refuse to fight sumone so much bigger then he. as far as gsp it wouldn't be smart to fight silva. even though silva would have to cut weight he would put ten pounds on overnight and be fine.
    test
  10. DethStryque

It's not just the weight difference,there is a gigantic skill set and athletic difference all in Anderson's favor.

Diaz won't be able to do a thing with Anderson when it comes to striking. Anderson has vastly superior defense,movement,footwork,quicker movement in EVERY WAY,vastly my powerful blows,significantly more accurate shots,the enormously superior striking arsenal...and Anderson proved it against REAL STRIKERS (sparring with Lyoto and dominating the standup,outstriking and crushing Vitor,Rich Franklin,Forrest, Ivan "the Sandman",etc. not to mention his professional Muay Thai matches in Mecca and other places) wheras Diaz hasn't fought well-rounded strikers he's fought HARD HITTERS.Not the same.The "hard hitters" lack the technical supremacy of the technician,they lack accuracy,combination striking,DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE,the chin,the endurance,the footwork,head movement, ability to adjust mid-round in a fight,and did I mention DEFENSE?

Wrestling? Please. An injured Silva took down Chael.WHEN SILVA HAD A FRACTURED RIB AND CHAEL WAS ON ROIDS. People forget that Anderson took down Cote,used the MT clinch to take down Hendo,took down Marquardt too with that nice switch before finishing him. Anderson CAN WRESTLE...he just has such an unanswerable striking advantage on peeps that he doesn't have to show his offensive wrestling much and his gigantic footwork quickness timing and ring generalship generally kills the chance that most guys have to even legitimately try shooting on him.

Bjj? Please. Nog>Cesar Gracie. BLACK HOUSE>SCRAP PACK.

Anderson by first or early second round annihilation knock out.
    test
  11. DethStryque

GSP>DIAZ,even though that match would be much more interesting than GSP-SILVA or hell to the naw SILVA-DIAZ. I see GSP winning a ground n pound decision over Diaz,but GSP's biggest weakness is standup defense,specifically in the boxing area and especially in moving his head and where he launches and returns his hands when he strikes. He's still too much for Diaz.

Anderson at LHW? That would be CRAZY but will never happen.Lyoto is at LHW. This is what Anderson said when asked about the reality of fighting Jon Jones.

http://youtu.be/sQPk2Bz5Tto

Anderson would beat Jones.He's got too much for Jones. Too much experience as a champion fighting the best--which CANNOT be overemphasized--so Jones won't be landing all those dazzling spinning elbows and spin kicks and stuff vs Anderson.Not happening.What we'd see is Anderson's footwork defense accurate striking and MT clinch vs Jones' reach and Greco-Roman takedowns.Jones is NOT seeing Anderson on the mat.Anderson's bjj>>Jones bjj. Now if Anderson were say 30 now and a more seasoned Jones was 30? WHEEEEW.
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

sum 1 need post a vid comparing each fighters best fight and then decide
    test
  13. jayoo

some responses lmao

Diaz has better hands then GSP drop it PLEASE.. GSP was just outstruck the last 2rds by shields who holds nothing on Diaz in the standup.. wrestling is another story.

Yeah Diaz wasn't a top WW before... but then again Serra was, along with other WWs who aren't relevant now.. my point is times change, people get better.. look at Overeem now.. he wasn't the "best" LHW but years later he's considered one of the most dangerous HWs...

people ignore things right in their face..

Diaz would have a better standing chance against Silva than GSP, which leaves GSP one option, takedowns

Until the fight happens who knows? I'd put money on Diaz over Shields an Shields went 5 with GSP and got the better of most exchanges in the championship rounds... no one considers the reality of it, it's superhero GSP and godly Silva to everyone

twitter.com/therealjayo
    test
  14. DethStryque

I think I'm quite nuetral in my analysis,and to me? Diaz would lose cleanly to GSP. GSP has faced without question the superior caliber opposition,has without question the superior camp with vastly superior training partners,and Diaz has nothing for him that can really threaten him...except reach.Not strength,speed,or any specific skill set. GSP has strength,wrestling,better boxing hands,superior accuracy,and a superior striking arsenal than Diaz does. Diaz's reach advantage evaporates if GSP works more on head movement,defense,a lead leg side kick,and goes to the body on Diaz.

Shields lucked out with a shot that caused bleeding in a spot--the bridge of your nose near the eyes--that disrupts vision. GSP was handing Shields his gluteus up to that time and then GSP was visually impaired...and STILL cleanly won every single round of that fight imho. There's only one person who's south of the WW division (but who will grow into being a WW in the next 4 years) I think who can genuinely challenge GSP if he can get big enough; and that's JOSE ALDO.They might have to meet at a catchweight of say 160 though. Jose can DEFINITELY make 160. It'd be a harder cut on GSP to make it to 160 though,but he can do it.
    test
  15. DethStryque

test
  16. Mr Microvave

Mr Microvave Microphone Assasin

I think the money is in Silva vs GSP. I'm a Nick Diaz fan but I'm also a GSP fan so that fight could go either way IMO. GSP is slowly becoming more n more soft and I think he's been playing it way too safe his past few fights.

Silva VS GSP is a huge deal, everyone wants to see this fight. I think it should be a catch weight fight with both of there titles on the line. I think that if GSP just uses his superior wrestling and ground control he will win by decision but the only problem is he has to avoid Silvas deadly accurate strikes for the whole 5 rounds...good luck.

I'd like to see Diaz vs Mayhem Miller before I would see Diaz and GSP fight.
    test
  17. jayoo

win or lose I hope to god Diaz fights GSP because I will put everything I own on him having the better standup with no hesitation, does that mean he'll win? no, but I'd like to see it

twitter.com/therealjayo
    test
  18. jayoo

just because GSP dominates people like shields and koscheck standing doesn't mean he's unstoppable standing.. look at how great silva is, no matter what though you can't say sonnen didn't outstrike him when the fight was actually standing.. which blew my mind as well.. but all it takes is the right fighter and I think Diaz would put that pressure on till he was taken down

twitter.com/therealjayo
    test
  19. DethStryque

There is NO DOUBT that Silva v GSP is the money fight.It'll be the most money that either of them made to date.And the 2nd most money that Silva would make is if he fought Jon Jones...after/if Jones beats Rashad and after/if Jones beats Machida.Especially if Jones beat Machida,because Silva and Machida are tremendous friends, and close teammates so you know that fight would be something personal.

Ya know,I really think the Chael Sonnen-Silva situation is greatly overplayed.When Anderson is healthy,nobody can take him down (unless he's completely not worried about the guy and tries stuff like off angle movement--Hendo--flying double knees--Lutter--or has fractured ribs--Chael) and EVERYONE who's taken him down he's choked out (Hendo,Lutter,Chael). I don't think that GSP will get Silva down because Silva's incredibly speedy,fluid footwork, deadly accuracy,blazing handspeed,unanswerable arsenal and thunderous firepower will keep this fight standing.Silva ends this in 2 or 3.
    test
  20. Fuzzy Dunlop

Fuzzy Dunlop this ainta pageant pimpin

this aint even a question.

Anderson / GSP oviously > Diaz/GSP

but GSP/Diaz actually sounds like its gonna happen, where the other one won't
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.