Grind Time Vs Url (The World's Most Respected And Largest Battling League)

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by Lee Taylor, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

And here we come full circle, to my original post directed at you.

Why is it that a white person who grew up in this environment should not talk about these types of things? Why is Fresco, the n-word and gun bar using Fresco, "realer" than ALL of them? Why are they automatically a "wigger" for responding to their environment?

Although you didn't explicitly say it, do you think they are "acting black" by doing this?
    test
  2. tyronehouston

tyronehouston Well-Known Member

HISTORY LESSON

[youtube]vWF-peyRuvA[/youtube]

Ya'll are doing the same thing to battle rapping, SMH
    test
  3. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't know that Fresco uses the n-word. That's gay as fuck.

But to answer your question the reason majority of these "wiggers" are "unreal" (not to mention ridiculous) is because the majority DID NOT grow up in those types of environments.

If they did, then obviously I'd expect them to act a particular way. I mean of course. But for those who did not (most), its an offensive act they're putting on imo.
    test
  4. tyronehouston

tyronehouston Well-Known Member

Now this white dude can say all the gun bars street shit he wants. You want to know why, because you can tell he's from the streets.

[youtube]qie5kbB_0Gk[/youtube]
    test
  5. JimmyThaBrute

JimmyThaBrute New Member

if you grew up in bed stuy/crown heights/SW philly, and are black, you are infinitely more credible in the world of hip hop than anyone else, and when you rap about dealing drugs and doing drive-bys, people will believe you. because it's obviously things you are bound to have been involved in as a youth, at the very least.
    lol @ everyone's battling performance is now a direct reflection of their time spent in grade school.
    test
  6. JimmyThaBrute

JimmyThaBrute New Member

that's really interesting.
    test
  7. gregrieke20

lol jesus Jimmy what are you talking about? We were so close to finally agreeing.

Its not a direct reflection, but its obviously an influence. How is that even debatable?
    test
  8. GetPaid

I agree with that, in fact, I feel like I'm arguing the same thing to a lesser extent. I see what Greg is saying now, but I'm not sure you and I are on the same page, since I saw you cosign his original statement. So, while I didn't watch the video (but have a pretty good idea what it's about), I'll ask you. Why do you think Fresco spitting gun bars and using the n word (under the alias clint_beastwood) is not doing what the video is describing (which I am assuming is cultural appropriation)? Because that is what I got from your original "real shit" reply to Greg saying that Fresco was realer than "wiggers" (which I assumed included dudes like Bigg K or whoever you posted, but I guess there was a distinction I missed where "wiggers" only referred to those that were appropriating it and not living it).
    test
  9. gregrieke20

Honestly if they are "living it", I'd be hard-pressed to find any argument against them acting that way. But those who are appropriating it are not only incredibly obnoxious, but are highly offensive imo.
    test
  10. GetPaid

I agree with that completely. That's why I can't get behind Fresco's gun bars. He might be good at them but he doesn't have a right to use them (in my opinion). This is the last I'll mention of Fresco though. I only wanted to mention him once but since that was all I was arguing about I name dropped him in every post. Like I said, excellent rapper, but I disagree strongly with his take on what he can and cannot do.
    test
  11. JimmyThaBrute

JimmyThaBrute New Member

alright, fuck it.

the whole premise of street battles is just as much about out-rapping your opponent, as it is proving you are more "street" than your opponent (possibly even more so). that in itself suggests that anyone hoping to do well in URL MUST adopt a gangster tough guy act, and emphasize it to the fullest. it shrouds the whole thing in fakeness. if you're greatly entertained by a collection of questionable thugs posturing with their gangster raps, when most people can agree that none of them are shooters, then that's cool. it's just entertainment after all. i can admit, some of them have amazing flow and occasionally very clever material.

this is why when it comes to crossover battles, GT battlers are at a disadvantage. URL battlers play up their own "street" persona big time, it's the image they carry, and it's generally lapped up. it's why a lot of people believe Math beat Solomon. because he talked about himself, out-swagged, and styled on him, whereas solomon spit incredibly clever, witty bars. i mean, based on bars alone, solomon absolutely chewed math.

anyway. it'll be interesting to see how some of these battles go, as i'm sure the future holds many.
    test
  12. Jizznips

Jizznips New Member

Man I am still reading through this thread but right now I gotta say, whoever takes the rapper name "Thug Nutt" is going to rule this battle shit.
    test
  13. sidestepp

sidestepp New Member

This is where I disagree, the notion that somebody can or can't use certain lyrics. Ultimately, it is up to the individual as to what they say and we can't judge whether somebody is true to the image that they portray. I would hazard a guess and say that there are many rappers today who talk about criminal activities but have never indulged in any of that themselves; they may be college educated but are afraid to admit that. It's as if having a good standard of education is something to be ashamed of.

Firstly, I'm not totally on-board with most rappers who use gun bars in order to glorify them...and if they were so real, they wouldn't confess their crimes on wax. A lot of it is a fascade because we know full well that these people aren't the mob bosses or gambinos which they profess to be - however, no-one bats an eyelid because of either their skin colour or the image which they have built up.
    test
  14. Jizznips

Jizznips New Member

A lot of thoughts come to mind for me reading this discussion. I'll say this though -- anyone who wants to wade into political territory about battle rap is putting themselves in a pretty precarious position. If you want to make a political critique of white battlers for supposedly appropriating black culture, then you should also apply your political sensibilities to the rest of battle rap as well.

I think if you do this, you'll ultimately end up rejecting battle rap as an artform completely. It glorifies so many pathological behaviors, reactionary attitudes, sexism, etc.

The only way I was able to really appreciate and be a fan of battle rap is to completely SUSPEND my political views and basically treat the whole thing as an innocent joke. When I first watched a lot of these battles I was really bothered by the ethnic and homophobic lines.

Applying a political analysis to this stuff is inherently difficult because the medium is all about trashing, belittling, and demeaning your opponent in every way possible. The normal rules of politics and decorum don't apply, which is probably why so many young men find this attractive.

That's not to say that anything and everything that is said in battle rap is okay. I still definitely hear things that bother me. But good luck trying to reconcile being a battle fan with any kind of system of morality.
    test
  15. GetPaid

I feel you on having to suspend a lot of my reactions. If I didn't love listening to words and phrases rhyme in clever ways, I wouldn't listen to battle rap at all. There are very few battle rappers I fully respect (not that they would care though, just saying).

But I disagree with people saying that the normal rules don't apply. The battle rappers may have to pander to an often homophobic, sexist, and subconsciously racist crowd in order to get reaction, but the individual viewer can still maintain a standard and apply the normal rules to their personal judgment of the battle. I don't expect any battler to come without any gender/race/orientation jokes, it is way too commonplace in society to expect rappers to be any different. Some of them work really well (like Charron's population scheme he spit to A-Class, or digs at the opponent's masculinity that aren't too hateful, along the lines of DFD's vaginaville/peniswear shit). I've got zero tolerance for lines like Casper telling a black guy that he should get lynched in that latest GT Atlanta preview though. Or stuff like rape jokes or Holocaust jokes or anything else that makes light of fucked up shit.

As for the guy who posted before you, some good points (same with Jizznips' post), maybe I will respond tomorrow.
    test
  16. Hadouken

Hadouken New Member

I think one of the best things about battle rap is that absolutely nothing is sacred. We get so offended by ideas and words today that it completely retards any adult conversation on certain issues. Hell, even when it's obvious that someone is joking and not serious at all, a person will still get vilified and harangued. The fact that there is at least one area where people can still speak on all issues, regardless of the context, and not be chastised for it is kinda rare nowadays. The fact that Diz can drop a mosque @ ground zero line and no one gets salty about it is dope imo.
    test
  17. ErikForeman

ErikForeman Yung Fred Flint

probably not tbh hahaha

p.s. I had math winning rd 2 and 3.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  18. Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor Well-Known Member

it's not a good point. it doesn't even make sense.
    test
  19. Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor Well-Known Member

you can't determine a person is "hood" or from the streets cuss of their subject matter and delivery. checkout 6:17 "I got you bro" could question any thought you may have purtaining he's hood.
    test
  20. Diggles

Diggles Fred Durst's Life Coach

The best way to sum up the hypocrisy that greg has been arguing about for 4 pages is this:

Soul Khan calls out Conceited in a battle.. "Fetus GAP, voice of Nicki Minaj, overrated.. chocolate teddy grams" and Conceited acts like a jerkoff throughout the whole callout.

Soul Khan in Battler Q & A thread: I have nothing against Conceited, good guy, plays up the camera.

Reaction:
    Everyone commends Soul Khan for keeping it hip hop, whatever, whatever. To a point, its not even really addressed. It is acceptable.

Vs.

Head ICE and T-Rex start bickering during Ice's battle with Tech-9.
    They then turn to the camera and say:

"That's my nigga though, outside of this battle shit.. that's my nigga.
    We cool, but I'mma still slice this nigga's head off on camera"

Reaction:

And I quote: "yeah that shit was gay as fuck. Horrible look for both of them claiming that they are so damn tough then pulling that pussy ass shit out of nowhere. i dont support shit talking in battles but saying shit like that just proves that they are both bitch made."

"and lol @ the ILL KILL YOU NIGGA oh but we cool"

In yo mouf.
    And bahahahah @ Bigg K poppin glocks or whatever if we REALLY wanna get into that.
    If you met the guy, you'd know different.. nice guy though.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.