Grind Time Now Presents: PH vs Dirt

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by Jimi Hillside, Jun 11, 2011.

?

who won this battle?

1. Dirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deezenutsbiatch

deezenutsbiatch New Member

test
  2. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

Daaaaaamn son you got BAAARS. :funny:
    test
  3. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

Sorry, maybe I'm just weird. It takes a lot to impress me with multis, e.g. Illmac, Ness Lee, Bender, NoCan. From what I've heard, Dirt is above average, and not that much. I don't think the lines you posted were that great, and they sound even worse being delivered. A 5 syllable rhyme per line is nothing when a scrub like Maniphest can do 13 per lines without being force (lol joke) besides using two filler syllables in between the first and last two. His rhymes aren't innovative (cash/ask/pack/act?) nor creative. And the punchline doesn't seem clever at all IMO...what's so novel about the comparison? Not to mention IMO the whole angle by Dirt failed hard, PH didn't seem phased at all and flipped into saying that's how grimy a hustler he is. While PH's personals against Dirt's multis really just broke down his whole style. I mean he really just ethered the shit out of one of Dirt's most well known verses, that by itself was more memorable to me than anything Dirt said.

It seems to me everybody can use multis with some degree of skill. Look at choppa's fucking text battles for fuck's sake. It's not that hard to do. Does that mean I look down on multis? Hell no, most of my favorite rappers are heavy on multis. Look at the guy in my avatar. But IMO you really gotta do something special with multis to be seen as one of the best.

Like I said, Dirt's use of multis reminds me of AZ's or Infinite era Em's...it becomes boring to listen to fast.
    test
  4. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

See this is my point son, you seem to equate intricate rhyme patterns = better bars/lyricism than someone with more simple rhyme patterns. You the kind of person that'd rate Maniphest's lyricism as higher than Pac's or KRS-One's smh.
    test
  5. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

I guess we just disagree here. I don't think PH's rebuttal was strong lyrically or content wise; he didn't say he was a hustler, he confirmed he was a thief. I feel you that you aren't down on multi's in general because if you honestly don't think Dirt is above average I can't fault you for that at all. I just hate it when people say "all he has is multi's," that's a weak ass criticism. And for me, the punchline wasn't novel, but it makes the point so concisely and fit in the the rhyme scheme so well really impressed me. In my opinion Dirt is on par with Ness as far as writing goes, but maybe that's just me. I'm surprised you bring up Bender because I think Dirt is nicer with the multi's and in general than Bender. I just also find it funny as fuck that in Dirt's battles the opponent goes "yeah all you have is multi's let me break you down" and then the filthiest part of their whole verse is multi's. I think one of the reason I'm so partial to multi's is the first time I was actually impressed with battling was back in the WRC days, and since it's (mostly) freestyle it's that much more impressive to come with multi's. Thesaurus and Illmac were killing it and I fell in love with that style.

Props for coming back with a coherent argument of why you feel PH won and why you are down on Dirt's multi's, I can respect that. Might be the first time I've seen someone come back with a legitimate argument on RM :funny:
    test
  6. JBCizzle

JBCizzle Fighting White Lightning

lol NOW you come up with a good post, just after I put you on my ignore list. ;)

While I disagree with your general point, I can see where you're coming from and I think you make some sense here. lol
    test
  7. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

No see you're putting words into my mouth. As far as complexity and intricacy, multi's take the cake. Being a true lyracist has nothing to do necessarily with having multi's, but in this case I feel Dirt had better bars and he just happened to do it with multi's. In terms of complexity alone, Dirt had way way more complex bars, which is something that I as a hip hop fan appreciate a lot.

That being said, my favorite rapper of all time, Biggie, made little use of multi's and he is the definition of a lyracist. There's plenty of rappers I love that don't use multi's, but PH just doesn't happen to be one of them. I can see how you would come away with me thinking that "multi's = lyracism" because in this battle inparticular Dirt had multi's and I felt he had better bars, but that's not always the case. My biggest issue is people saying multi's in general are wack because that just doesn't ring true to me. I appreciate a rapper with filthy lyrics that uses simple rhyme patterns don't get me wrong, this was just one specific example.
    test
  8. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

PS you live in Seattle? I grew up in Bothell (Dad) and Kent (Mom) my whole life. Sea-town stand up!
    test
  9. JBCizzle

One battle quote that sticks out to me is PH's battle vs. Eurgh where Eurgh said something like "you should get personal ads for all of those single syllable rhymes"
    test
  10. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

Yeah I mean I'm gonna be completely honest, there is no excuse in a written battle league to be using single syllable rhymes.
    test
  11. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

Ok, but is complexity and intricacy the pinnacle of battle verses? Not necessarily.
    test
  12. JBCizzle

I'd say freestyle/rebuttals aside of course. Otherwise I agree.
    test
  13. Swelly_Swell

Swelly_Swell New Member

Very good battle
    test
  14. radiosurgery

radiosurgery New Member

Not on their own, but when they come with relevance and substance as well as punches I think they are. Just saying all things equal multi's enhance things.
    test
  15. smha201

smha201 Avicenna's Banker

on first watch, i think i have PH winning. that 3rd round was the finisher for real.

i really like dirt, though. i don't really care what some people say, his dedication to multis is actually refreshing to me, because he doesn't half-ass schemes.
    test
  16. PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN'

PUMPKINHEAD/MAKIN' New Member

I would like to thanks the 165 people who voted for me !
    test
  17. FINALPOST

FINALPOST New Member

I would like to slap the 57 that didn't
    test
  18. BOOMPZY

BOOMPZY Hip Hop Beat Shop

THEY BOTH SHOULD !! STOP !!
    BooMp:crazy:
    test
  19. proteam40

proteam40 god speed, centipede

166 now. I like Dirt a lot but I was kinda tuning out a bit during his rounds. I think his multis drown out his content sometimes, he'll be back though. PH won clearly imo.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.