Grind Time Now presents: Passwurdz vs Philly Swain

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by avocado, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BITmafakka

BITmafakka GS palmin' the m1 garand

haven't seen no hot lines from swain either, his best lines are completely irrelevant
    test
  2. teacozy

teacozy New Member

fuck you up like crack did the ghetto.

just' sayin.
    test
  3. BITmafakka

and how is that hot?
    test
  4. Wonka

Wonka OTBVA 2v2 Champ

Yeah, I'll repeat myself since maybe they didn't catch it the first time. :(

Pass at his worst > Swain at his best
    test
  5. teacozy

teacozy New Member

could ask the same thing about "titty swain". I'm all for a verse v verse comparison, really.
    test
  6. BinoSWI

BinoSWI Half Jamaikan Half Scouse

same ppl arguin the same shit all dese pages later? yea we get ur opinion wonka now fuck off u worm
    test
  7. BITmafakka

If i was pass i wouldn't wanna waste expensive heat on swain, swain got the electrical blanket treatment, feel me?
    test
  8. BAdams421

BAdams421 New Member

I can't believe this is still a discussion. Swain absolutely bodied Pass.

It doesn't matter if Pass was saying hot lines (he wasn't), if you can't deliver them, than its garbage.

They both had an off day, Pass's day just happened to be way worse.
    test
  9. BITmafakka

nah brah, philly swain
    just got assfucked on camera - mindy main

see, that shit is more expensive than swains material combined my nig
    test
  10. Wonka

Wonka OTBVA 2v2 Champ

BITmafakka so real right about now.
    test
  11. BITmafakka

im so real right now
    swain dickriders feel beat right now
    they REALLY wish he would've had some expensive heat right now
    test
  12. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

This was the first Grizzle 2 battle I was disappointed in. Mainly because of Passwurdz.

I usually have something to say after a battle, but no, this was a letdown.
    test
  13. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

It seems like whoever was louder and animated at the battle (assuming no one had an obvious slip up or was just really bad at delivering their bars) is is usually a consensus winner live.
    test
  14. RealDeal412

RealDeal412 New Member

Philly was a savage in this....Love how he addressed the PH shit and The Uncle Sam Poster was fire. Dudes style is so ill.
    test
  15. .M.Rich.

.M.Rich. New Member

Philly Swain >

Fuck ya lyfe gunther
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  16. njgyadig

njgyadig New Member

Idd like to hear what avocado thinks of this battle cuz he's one of passwurdz biggest fans and every thread about pass he comes in and defends pass. Avo your silence says volumes!!!!! Pass lost clearly and that effort by swain was nowhere near his best go watch vs hollow and k shine. It wasn't passes to but I've seen all his gt battles and his 2 clear wins were against pathetic comp n people act like he's to good for people like cortez and dna. Fact is cuz pass used to post on here and make his fans feel warm and fuzzy there always gunna say he won.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  17. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

dora's backpack ftw

-official tag judge suck my penis
    test
  18. MLK_Jr.

MLK_Jr. New Member

dog is it rapper u dont like? Friendly ass fool
    test
  19. AllWays

AllWays New Member

I thought this was a bad matchup from the jump....swain bodied him end of discussion.

SWAIN VS SWAVE
    test
  20. Slick Ick

Slick Ick New Member

By far the biggest problem with battle rap, in my opinion, is this mindset. Personal jokes are such a miniscule part of battle rap. They're important, funny, enjoyable, whatever, but they're not necessary for a victory. I've given this list of criteria a few times, but this is how i rate every rap battle:

1. Delivery: facial expressions, intrinsic confidence, natural style or swag, overall performance. By far the most important aspect of rap as a whole, not just battle rap. To me Philly has the best delivery in the game, and it's not thaaaat close between him and the number two. The way he bugs his eyes, smiles his insane black dude smile and acts out all of his lines like it's the most natural thing in the world is just such a nice performance to me. The derisive, skeptical sneer on his lips when he asked Pass when Jordan ever got cheered in madison square garden, the way he stopped yelling and delivered his 'montana fishburne' punch in a quiet, disappointed tone, when he switched to his gospel voice after saying pass liked the music 'for his work mood', that shit adds up on my scorecard. Philly creates the vast majority of the crowd's energy through his mannerisms and speech, which is sick to me. On the other hand, Passwurdz seemed, at different points of the battle, strung out, bored, then a lil down on himself. Just not characteristics of an entertaining rap performance. In my opinion Swain absolutely BULLIED Pass around the room and out of the venue. It's dad.

2. Rhyme scheme complexity/variation: Pass scored most of the points he scored in the battle under this criteria but I was SO disappointed that one of my favorite cadence dudes in the league came through static and boring with his sound patterns, on all but two or three occasions. His cassius heir/catch is air scheme was dope as fuck. My fave scheme was going to be his 'damn well, damn cell, flexible you get' scheme. But he fucked up the structure. Swain's lyricism wasn't very good, nor was his wordplay. His syllable use wasn't very complex (although it did get fairly intricate). However, dude has the most dynamic, active cadences of any battle rapper but maybe Math Hoffa or Arsonal and on a few different occasions I had to stop the video so i could properly react to homeboy's natural rhythm. Rhythm, which hits the subconscious just as much as the conscious and effects us on a primal, instinctive level goes a really far way in battle rap in my opinion. Starting at around 17:15 he puts on an absolute clinic in battle rap rhythm. His his signature unstressed, unstressed, unstressed, stressed, unstressed rhythm structure, which you always get two of those and then a longer one with a few more stressed syllables spaced throughout, is AWESOME for grabbing control of a venue. I am a GANGSTA nigga. cock back and BANG a nigga. the way I FLOW so MystiCAL just holla DANGER nigga. to that no STRANGER nigga. So calm your ANGER nigga. or-i-will-let-my-elbow-lock-cock-back and BANG the trigger. and so on. He hits a different, equally sick and equally energetic one not too much later when he starts his then and now scheme ( humble then, shitty now, that was then, this is now; i'm the boss, Tookie now, etc. dope as fuck) Speaking of rhythm, Pass's was OFF most of the battle by quite a bit. His syllable distribution was sloppy and his cadence was erratic. Not on purpose either, he wasn't hitting some dope ass 7/8 rhythm structure or something like that. He was just all over the place. It might not sound like it on account of most of his bars being pretty basic but Swain's structure is not easy to write.

3. Lyricism, wordplay: Both dudes didn't do a very good job in this category in my opinion. Edge to Passwurdz for a few bars that I thought about for a split second. Swain's not going to win many lyricism contests.

4. Personals/jokes: Again, both were pretty weak, but this one I don't know how to call. Listen donnie brasco was no better or worse than my swagger's through the roof as far as weight of the joke and nothing else goes (In actual practice Philly's mannerisms had me fucking dying), titty swain sucked, passwurdz, this is past words was pretty bad too. Philly still had my favorite disses of the battle (they could've applied to anyone but i still have never heard one good reason why relevance should mean shit in battle rap). Although even with that said, there weren't many great disses this battle.

anyway that's why swain won imo
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.