Greatest Wrestler Of The 90s?

Discussion in 'Smack Down!' started by Tray_Is_Gay, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Greatest Wrestler Of The 90s?

1. Bret Hart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stone Cold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Shawn Michaels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Undertaker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dean Malenko

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Goldberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

ah the golden age of wrestling

ppl say the 80s was the golden age of hip-hop but the 90s is where its at in the grapple universe

who is it?
    test
  2. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

By the way here's the reason the aforementioned names were chosen:

Bret Hart=multiple WWE/WCW champ, PWI number 1 wrestler 2 years in a row, involved in great matches, technically the best wrestler in his day

Stone Cold=multiple WWE champ, PWI number 1 wrestler 2 years, great charisma, sold many many merchandise, carried an entire company and ushered a new era

The Rock=the greatest to ever lift a mic, former WWE champ, number 2 PWI ranked behind a corrupt asshole, the most entertaining wrestler since Hulk Hogan, sold god how many knows amounts of merchandise, no1 on the planet has ever been emulated so much since.....

Shawn Michaels=along with DX actually gave way TO the Attitude Era. Austin catapulted it, but this guy put the ammo in it first. Former WWE champ, involved in some great matches. Former PWI number one wrestler.

Undertaker=former WWE champ, to this day, is still used in main events. There's no one who pulled off the dark side like he did, and WWE would not be the same.
    Despite his lack of technical prowess, he can still entertain, and he probably has the most effective gimmick of all time.

Dean Malenko=probably the greatest technical wrestler since Bret Hart.....involved in awesome matches, became a no-name wonder, and even though he was a MID CARDER WCW wrestler, he STILL got Number One PWI spot in 1997. That's pure talent.

Goldberg=probably WCW's last symbol of glory. Former WCW champ, number 2 pwi rank just behind Stone Cold, and ushered in the very succesful "Animal/Powerhouse" gimmick, which to this day, is emulated by wannabes like Batista and Brock Lesnar.
    test
  3. ChopStick

ChopStick me killa me killa

in terms of what?

in terms of making a company a lot of money, Stone Cold was probably # 1
    test
  4. Accoustics

Accoustics New Member

I think Stone Cold based on what he did for the business, he basically started the boom of wrestling in the late 90's.

I'm a fan of dean malenko, but I don't see how you can class him amongst the people you put on that list. He did nothing to revolutionise wrestling, never helped make it a huge brand in enterertainment, never made millions for the owners of each companies, so as you can see I don't see how he can be ranked amongst them.
    test
  5. abztrakt

abztrakt the impossible cool.

Austin was a draw, brought wrestling in to the mainstream, and could actually put on great matches when he was allowed to. No one can touch that.
    test
  6. ChopStick

ugh no.. into the "mainstream"

Hogan did that.. not once, but twice.. Hulkamania and with the NWO.. if it werent for the NWO , there would be no attitude era.. the attitude era was WWE'S counter to WCW'S as whooping. Stone Cold helped further it, but in no way did he break into anything by himself.
    test
  7. abztrakt

Sorry, BACK into the mainstream. And I would say Austin did more to do that in the '90s than anyone, Hogan included. The NWO got people watching wrestling again, but wasn't "cool" to wear a wrestling shirt or talk about wrestling in public until Austin got big. And this is coming from someone who isn't really an Austin fan.
    test
  8. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

Because if you ask any wrestler who came up in the 90s who they think is a great technical wrestler, they'll give you Dean Malenko.

It's like asking a rapper if he knew Big Pun or Big L. Of course they'll go "hell yea, and them niggaz was dope too"
    test
  9. ChopStick

i beg to differ..

Austin probably made it cool for non wrestling fans to watch wrestling, but i wouldnt consider that breaking back into mainstream.. when the WCW went national.. i think that was the first step.. then the whole Hollywood Hogan thing. . i just think rock & austin made wrestling appeal to non wrestling fans.. which is great, but isnt breaking into the mainstream.. because the WCW had all ready done that on their own with the NWO.
    test
  10. ChopStick

Austin was huge.. but in no way was he bigger than the NWO vs Sting on his own..

The nwo vs sting happened before austin.

so therefore, hogan was responsible for the re-breaking into mainstream
    test
  11. abztrakt

Actually, Austin vs. McMahon was probably bigger than NWO vs. Sting. And bringing in non-wrestling fans is what breaking into the mainstream is, and that's what Austin did. The NWO angle helped make wrestling more popular, but Austin vs. McMahon made it mainstream. Also, you're giving Hogan all the credit for the NWO angle when Hall, Nash and Bischoff also had huge parts in that. Hall and Nash invading got a lot of attention to start with, Hogan turning was just the icing on the cake. The NWO probably wouldn't have been AS big without Hogan, but it would have been huge no matter what.
    test
  12. ChopStick

even if it was "bigger" .. okay maybe it was bigger than the NWO.. but that still doesnt help what youre trying to prove.. that Austin re-broke wrestling into the mainstream.. IMO Hogan did.. Austin / Rock just took the ball and probably ran with it a little more

side note:

it pisses me off people dont give Sting credit.. that NWO angle wouldve never been as good without the Crow Sting.. and to think, the original idea was to have Sting join the NWO [funny]
    test
  13. abztrakt

Yeah, Sting was a perfect foil for the NWO. Of course, they pretty much ruined that character in his first match back with the "fast count" by Nick Patrick. God forbid Hogan just drop a match to a guy the fans wanted to see destroy him.

But I'm not saying it's just because it was bigger. I'm saying that even though wrestling was getting a little more popular, it wasn't really mainstream until Austin got huge. You'll notice that even WCW's big mainstream crossovers (Rodman and Leno wrestling in tag matches) happened after Austin and WWF got huge. WCW wasn't as mainstream friendly as WWF, maybe because of the wrestling/sports entertainment dichotomy. WCW was wrasslin' for rednecks, WWF was slickly marketed entertainment meant for young males. So while WCW got popular, it wasn't the household name that WWF was.
    I guess this might just come down to what the definition of "mainstream" is though.
    test
  14. ChopStick

how would you personally define mainstream?

serious question..
    test
  15. abztrakt

Becoming part of popular culture to the point where most people know what it is. Everyone knew what the WWF was. Most people even know what WWE is now. Not that many people knew what WCW was though. Even when they had Hogan, a lot of people saw WCW as being "like the WWF". That's part of why I don't see Hogan as having brought wrestling back to the mainstream, because people could think of WWF without any reference to WCW, but a lot of people never thought of WCW without connecting it with the WWF.
    test
  16. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

Remember, Ted told Vince when WCW started that he was in the "rasslin business". Vince merely replied with "That's great, but I'm in the entertainment industry".

I will tell you right now, outside of the US here in Canada, is that the WCW was virtually unknown until about late 1997-early 1998. This was way past the Hogan/NWO formation, meaning in true popularity or "mainstream" success, WCW was a blip in the mid-90s to the world compared to the WWE.
    test
  17. ChopStick

like i said, wwe took the ball and ran with it more.. but wcw re-broke it into mainstream.. wwf made it popular with mtv kids and shit like that.. we're essentially saying the same thing

yes, it was cooler to like the wwf than wcw.. wcw was looked at as more of the classy company.
    test
  18. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

I think WCW pretty much established itself as a force when NWO was formed.

WCW was the "family show" while WWE continued to get edgier and edgier.

But I always thought it was the creation of RAW in 92-93 that got wrestling into mainstream?
    test
  19. ChopStick

well.. raw going on monday nights was a huge step.. but they didnt get really really big until wcw almost put them out of business.. around that time, they were getting 2.0 ratings.. once the wcw shit happened, they went up up up up to 6-7's

a lot of the attitude era was created because the wwe had no other choice but to put it all out there like that.. it was that or go out of business

but raw being on mondays was a huge step.. wrestling had never been on prime-time, bischoff wouldve never requested nitro be on monday if raw werent on monday.. so i guess u could say it was the first step to bigger and better things
    test
  20. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

The man they call sting..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.