Greatest Guitarist of all time???

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Vintage Tox, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

in fact, as i stated earlier in other terms, being a musician could sometimes put one at a disadvantage in terms of feeling music because again... there's that higher focus on technicality

i'm sure many classically trained pianists were unable to appreciate the soul genius of a thelonious monk all because he often "hit the wrong chords"
    test
  2. Edmund Kemper

Edmund Kemper New Member

gay thread.

gayer list.
    test
  3. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

john mayer should be on there

hendrix is an obvious number 1

i dont even see prince on the list
    test
  4. Dex P. LaMorte

Dex P. LaMorte New Member

test
  5. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Before music became regarded as art, there was never this much elitism.

If only the opinions of musicians matter, then why the fuck do you play in front of non-musicians?

No one can answer that.
    test
  6. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

test
  7. F*ck Macabre

F*ck Macabre Svengali

To truly practice music or any art, one must dive deep into one's soul. Once you do that, you begin to appreciate others that have been on the same journey more than the average person. Would a man retracing the path of Lewis and Clark not be capable of providing more insight than someone who has only read history? That's really the point. I loved music when I was only a fan, but now I love the same music more now that i've internalized it.

Okay. How would the mood differ in Hendrix's purple haze if it were transposed to c# minor? Would it still be psychedelic enough to be called purple haze? Those aren't really technical aspects; it takes a refined ear to truly feel music. A refined ear cannot be gained without participation.

Bit of a generalization, not to mention a slap in the face!

I get your point though. Asking a strict jazz musician what is good about Metallica won't result in many answers, but not all musicians are that anal.

In fact, Metallica fans are a good example of how narrow-minded non-musicians can be compared to artists. The reason everyone hates Metallica now is because the fans are still stuck in the shred metal days while Kirk Hammet's soul has grown up. Kirk wants to play more like Carlos Santana, fans just notice the disappearance of metal gallops and 200 bpm solos.

If everyone was a musician, artists wouldn't be stuck doing the same shit. Hendrix could've made that acoustic album.
    test
  8. F*ck Macabre

F*ck Macabre Svengali

The time when music wasn't art DID last a long time, but then that meteor wiped out all of the dinosaurs.

Money and fame. Didn't require a second of thought.

Most musicians would rather play their favorite work in front of a musical crowd because they know that they'd appreciate it more. It's well documented.
    test
  9. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

yes... in terms of hours spent in creative and technical practice, not soul which comes from life experiences outside of the building blocks of music

and, that actually serves to support my point, because there are many non-musicians out there who have lived through and experienced what many musicians only cover through concepts and their imagination. they do a good job of soulfully presenting the work because of their meditation on it, but there are those who don't play instruments that can connect with the message and overall vibe on an even deeper level.

there's nothing left to say, because neither of us will convince the other
    test
  10. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

You two are talking about two different things.

You're talking 'understanding the notes.' Sartana's talking 'feeling the music.'
    test
  11. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Again. Two different statements.

I said 'before music became regarded as art.' Not when music became art.

Music didn't become elevated to art status until critics started getting involved somewere around the 1st half of the last century. Music, before then, was for entertainment purposes and cultural statements.

And just to be sure, there were no humans on earth during the time of the dinosaurs. But I guess you can say there was music in the roar of the beasts, the song of the birds, the drops of the rain and the howl of the wind.

So they should understand that they cannot dictate the emotional reception the audience will have of their music.

Yes, elitism is very widespread among many genres.
    test
  12. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^Art is subjective.

There are people who don't think hip hop is art.

And before the 20th century, music was never regarded as art.

You call it 'art' NOW because that's what has been fed to you.

Some music may be art, but not all.

It all depends on how you define art.

No, I do not wish to offer a definition.
    test
  13. dj battle cry

dj battle cry Active Member

so what about john mayer
    test
  14. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

Practice of technique has nothing to do with the soul. There's no difference between the soul's growth through life experiences and the soul's growth through creative expression other than the fact that expression makes one's soul deeper.

No life experience can match the soul attained through life experience + creative experience.

Your points really only cover the musician who does nothing but sit in his room and compose or practice; the musician who never makes a difference. What you forget is that when serious musicians are through spending half of their day on their art, they are forced to go through some of the hardest life experiences known to man. There is no such thing as a McDonald's CEO/Guitar virtuoso Jimi Hendrix out there, it's always starving artist. It's not that automatically picking up a piece of wood and playing for a year or so puts you in touch, that isn't my point. Van Gogh wasn't automatically one of the greats just because he could paint, it was his whole experience. Had he just went through hard times without being an artist though, he would've never been molded into the Van Gogh we admire.

True, but I never intended to convert or to be converted, but rather to explain why I feel my case held water. I feel I did so, and i'm sure you feel the same.
    test
  15. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

No, this is another case of you speaking on something you know nothing about.

The feel is contained in the key. To understand the notes is to understand how to convey feeling. There is no line between the two; therefore, musicians have an upper-hand in feeling music. They understand what the musician had to go through to express the soul better than John Q. Public because the perceptions are more advanced.
    test
  16. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

To musicians, it has always been art. Took a little longer for you non-musicians to catch on due to needing an analytical hold on everything.

Yes, but none of you critics around to pick and choose what sounds were and weren't art. Everything was content just being.

Correct. This is the exact reason why quality of mainstream music went downhill as the number of people buying records went up. Non-musicians just want a groove to dance and impress their friends with, not emotional content.

If there is a sense of elitism in a more advanced musical environment, it's because they are aware of being elite.
    test
  17. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

Both write the songs, Cliff also wrote until his death. Hetfield has also outgrown his original influences. Wrong band? Who are we to say? I'm only partial to one album from them, but it's their band, not the public's.
    test
  18. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

He's just the typical know-it-all who has to be the expert opinion on every subject. He'll type in circles to justify fact and fiction until he has the last word.
    test
  19. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

Pass.
    test
  20. Vintage Tox

Vintage Tox One Hundred Percent

I remember Metallica started taking a lot of shit when they were the first metal band to make a music video for MTV...then they took even more shit when Hetfield cut his hair....

Im all metal though when It comes to the rock type music...still fucking rock out to the Black album....

*Neesch*
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.