Greatest Guitarist of all time???

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Vintage Tox, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex Luis

Dex Luis Dextilla The Hunk

I would normally agree, Brah…

But not in this instance. You’re a bit out of your element here.

If we’re judging purely on technical abilities, the opinion of the seasoned player obviously trumps that of the non-player.

As an experienced player, I would clearly have a greater appreciation of the skill involved in playing a particular composition.

For me, there's no categorical bias, either. I hate bluegrass with a fiery fucking passion but that doesn’t dissuade me from recognizing the fact that some of those guys are ridiculous on guitar.

I do think Prince is underpraised as a guitarist, but to consider him as well half of these names as top 100 worthy is laughable.

But, meh… all is relative.
    test
  2. Dex Luis

Johnny Ramone.

lol

The fuck out of here.
    test
  3. Hidden_Poetry

Hidden_Poetry New Member

Sometimes.
    test
  4. D. MonEy25

D. MonEy25 Gifted With The Words

I agree Slash is a great guitarist.
    test
  5. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

yeah, i'm not saying that technical knowledge and playing experience don't count for anything, but an individual who has them isn't always necessarily the better judge of the music

like you said, it's all relative anyway, so what constitutes the "better judge"?

people feel what they feel...

all i'm saying is that artists can sometimes be the worst critics of themselves and their peers because of too much focus and concentration on technicality and a tendency towards favoring their own style and the ones they patterned their work after

a piece of music could be the most technically difficult one in the world and still not be evocative or "good art"
    test
  6. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I'm not questioning your knowledge of guitar technique. (However, being a player doesn't automatically make you a virtuoso nor an expert.) I'm questioning your knowledge of Prince's repertoire.

You can say that if you go by his albums alone.
    test
  7. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Co-signs on everything.
    test
  8. Dex Luis

I will never be able to take the opinions of non-guitarists seriously.

Sorry.
    test
  9. masstaih

masstaih blackfire entertainment

anybody talking that shit about "prince is nothing special" check out the while my guitar gently weeps video live at the rock hall where he performed it with some of the guys on that list .............................blew up the stage....it got to the piont they all stopped and watched him..i feel you not liking his music but saying "Prince is nothing special" come on fam this cat change the sound of music . think not listen to gwen stefani's holla back girl then listen to housequake from sott....check out tracks 2,3,7,10,13 on justin timberlakes album.......dude got mad influence on the game ! when guitar gods like clapton & santana speak highly of you .....your something special !!!!!!!!!!
    test
  10. Dex Luis

I agree. He’s quite gifted.

He still wouldn’t capture Dex Lewisian top 200 honors, however.

Anyways, this is all entirely subjective and stupid as fuck. I’m out.
    test
  11. Vintage Tox

Vintage Tox One Hundred Percent

and one of the people that originated that song is at # 21 on the list....

*Neesch*
    test
  12. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Then don't put out music or play for public consumption.

Only play for yourself and other guitar-playing musicians.
    test
  13. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

It is always subjective. It's an opinion.

But if you base your opinion on logic and evidence, then it becomes a bit more credible and valid. Being a guitarist gives you some credibility, but it doesn't make your opinion anymore valid than the layperson.
    test
  14. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Obviously, the Prince critics have only heard a small sample of his work and are extremely narrow-minded in their judgements. The man's career is 30 years long.
    test
  15. F*ck Macabre

F*ck Macabre Svengali

It's not just the technical aspects- I would never judge strictly on a technical level. It's safe to say that musicians are more in touch with the level of emotion and soul put into the work as well. It goes with the territory, and on that level I respect any guitarist to do it as long as he has whether I like them or not. However, he's not my cup of tea.
    test
  16. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

see, don't buy that... i think that's ridiculous

because someone doesn't actively play and practice an instrument doesn't mean they can't be in touch

there are plenty of non-musicians out there with more soul than those who want to call themselves "musicians" and even bona fide ones

thing is that they haven't delved into the technical aspects and learned different ways of expressing that innate soul/emotion through a musical medium

there was a time when all great musicians hadn't picked up their instrument or sang with their voice

they still had that power/talent within, however
    test
  17. F*ck Macabre

F*ck Macabre Svengali

My god, man.

I want to move past just discussing Prince, but I find this whole "held back" theory of yours too laughable to let it be. Don't you know that basically every guitarist has been limited in the recording process? Hendrix certainly was, and it didn't keep him from delivering. Very few artist have had complete creative control.

It seems like you're suggesting Prince should be judged for his live work, and not by the mainstream albums that made him a household name. Well, my uncle makes a good live bar band guitarist, but he's certainly never recorded anything; I guess he should be considered for a top 10 spot as well.

People that are good in certain areas come by the dozen- it takes more to be exceptional.
    test
  18. F*ck Macabre

F*ck Macabre Svengali

You're suggesting that the Claptons, Becks, and even Jim Morrisons (who didn't play an instrument) of the world had just as much emotion and soul for their music when they were 5 years old as they did after gaining experience by playing, writing, and performing?

C'mon now. To say that some 13 year old non-musician with a walkman right now is just as in touch with music as Jimi Hendrix would be wrong.
    test
  19. Macabre

Macabre via Fatality

I'd like to apologize for all of the useless bickering in the thread in hopes of moving it forward.

I can think of a lot of guitarists that are/were brought down by others in the band. Tony Iommi would be higher on people's lists if it weren't for the fact that Ozzy and typical metal lyrics annoy a lot of folks. Imagine if Jimi Hendrix would've had to carry a Sammy Hagar or David Cherone.
    test
  20. Barack Obama

Barack Obama The Future!

soul is built and strengthened through life experiences, not practicing music

i'm sorry... have to disagree with you here

it is all technical aspects when you talk about focus and concentration towards expressing one self's through an instrument

the spiritual heft that fuels, is behind and communicated through the music is entirely non-musical

there is nothing about being a musician that puts one in a more advantageous position to feel the music

as kon already alluded to, the bulk of appreciation comes from non-musicians
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.