Got A Few Questions, Please Answer!!

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Logik Words, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logik Words

Logik Words New Member

Ok,

First, can someone please tell me what exactly a pre-amp does? I know it's sort of a stupid question but I don't really know much about audio yet.

Second, do I need anything extra if I was going to buy a condenser mic instead of a dynamic mic? Because I've herd that they need a seperate power supply or something, and if that is true, can someplease explain to me what I would need for them to work?

Please help me out here, thanks

Pz
    test
  2. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

I have a dynamic and i dont need a seperate power supply it might be nice tho a preamp is just an amp that boosts the sound before its processed instead of boosting it after its processed with a condensor i do believe u do have to have a preamp
    test
  3. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

preamp boosts tha signal. there is a little preamp in your mic-in line on ya computer, thats why you use tha mic-in line for a dynamic. with a condenser, you need a seperate power supply unless it is built into the mic, its usually 48v phantom power that you'll need. you can accomplish this by buying a preamp that has phantom power, or a mixer that has at least one in with phantom power, or by buying a phantom power adapter. most people would agree that the most cost effective and quality method is to get a preamp with phantom power. personally, i had a mixer when i bought my condenser mic, so i just got an art phantom power box and ran that between the mic and the mixer. then you run the ultimate line into tha line-in on ya computer.

any mo questions? that might not have made hella sense...iono....
    test
  4. Logik Words

Logik Words New Member

^Nah man made perfect sense thanks alot both of you

But ye ye I got one more question...

I've been looking into getting this pre-amp....

Midiman Audio Buddy

But I'm not sure if it comes with phantom power. I think it mentions phantom power included, but it doesn't specify if it has 48v power. Do you think it has 48v?

Thanks

Pz
    test
  5. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

i (think) that has unbalanced INs and OUTs, which you don't really want. you should look into a preamp that has XLR inputs.

48v is the standard, you can assume when they say phantom power on a mic preamp it means 48v.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.