God Will Take Us There

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by M-theory, Aug 12, 2013.

1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

91 days ago Hannah Gastonguay and her Arizona family sailed for a small Pacific island in protest of America, homosexuality, abortion, and taxes. Putting her hands in God and letting Him take the family where He may please, the family was lost at sea for weeks and has now been rescued...

test
  2. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

maybe there is a god after all.
    test
  3. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Rescued by God or people?
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  5. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

Why are people so scared of sexuality abortion and money?
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Just a fun fact. every society that was once the biggest of the time, dealt with these issues prior to its demise.
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

On the video..they shoulda just booked a flight.

that was quite retarded.
    test
  8. lyricalpriest

can u provide a link for where that fun fact comes from ack?
    test
  9. Con.Found.Dead

Con.Found.Dead Active Member

The same reason people are afraid of anything else: they perceive it as a threat to their safety. From the average evangelical Christian's point of view, they either see it is as a threat to their value system, or believe sin to be inviting God to the destroy the nation; or both.
    test
  10. lyricalpriest

homosexuality doesn't threaten anyone safety tho, abortion doesn't affect other peoples values, it only affects the people involved. and if sin is all it takes to invite god to destroy the world then why did he even make us with free will to begin with... so he can guilt us into submitting? the thing i dont agree with evangelical christians is the fact that hitler was a evangelizer a car sales men uses the same tactics.. if u have to SELL the idea then it must be shit... gay people arent runnin around rapin any more people then heterosexuals.. the problem with mankind isnt a SIN thing it's a personal thing.. we dont accept the fact that we are all too closely intergrated to put division amongst eachother like different religious sects often do.
    test
  11. Con.Found.Dead

As "natural" as fear may seem, it's clear that fear has never, over an extended period of time, produced the best results. It doesn't matter whether its being afraid of a boss, a lover, or God; living in fear of consequences takes a toll on everyone involved, which is an important insight evangelicals can offer, as well.

To evangelicals, sin has consequences not just at the personal level but with the entire community. What those perceived consequences are will definitely vary from person to person but the common thread is the belief an individuals behavior doesn't just affect the person responsible. And isn't that true? The car salesman who ripped off the customer effects his customer quite negatively, doesn't he? And there's no need to examine how Hitler effected and affected the world through his actions. Think of it as "Christian Karma." Or, as Christians would say, "reaping what you sow."

While we may disagree with evangelical's conclusions pertaining to abortion and homosexuality, they believe in a kind of cause and effect that, to me at least, makes sense.

I don't agree with much in the way of evangelical thinking, mind you. They're perception of who God tends to revolve around God "blessing" them with either physical, or spiritual, riches. In a sense, making themselves the object God must worship. I can't condone in it. And "Christian Karma" makes about as much sense as "Buddhist Jesus," to me.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

That seems legit for a response, and buddah and jesus actually have a lot of comparable moments that I find interesting.. Do you believe mankind could ever evolve pasts fear and if so is it the necessary path or does fear actually have more a intimate role in all peoples n things lifes/existence
    test
  13. Con.Found.Dead

No, I don't believe fear will ever leave us.

When we talk about fear, we often treat it as a motive for someone's behavior without ever really exploring "why" someone fears, in the first place. I don't mean "why" in the sense that you could explain someone's claustrophobia by pointing to a childhood experience. Rather, I'm interested in why we are afraid, of anything, in the first place. My theory is rooted in Biblical theology but I'll spare everyone the Christianese and keep it simple.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If fear is a defense mechanism that tells us we, or others, are in danger, then we shouldn't ever NOT be afraid of something or someone. Imagine if fear didn't exist in any fashion: our boldness would lead to more death than ever before. Things that we find thrilling might otherwise be dull and worthless to us. I don't think passion could exist without fear.

Christians like to say that "feelings" aren't right or wrong, it's what you do with them that really counts. I find that to be true, as well. The same fear that motivates people to "success," is the same fear that causes people to commit suicide from not having achieved it. Which leads me to my next point: Fear can be an act of love, or an act of selfishness.

I'll give a "Christian" example since it seems appropriate to the topic. Note: Safety is meant in a physical, emotional, and spiritual context.

Christian A: Fears God because they are self-motivated. He wants the safety God can bring them both in this life, and the next. He tends to be defensive towards those who disagree with them because, if they are wrong, it means they are not as safe as they once believed.

Christian B: Fears God because he is other-motivated. Because he trusts God with his own safety, he spends more time seeking the good for everyone else around him. He is secure in his own standing, before God, and doesn't feel the need to act defensively.

It is, of course, much more nuanced then that; with fear playing out differently depending on what we're afraid of. I tend to believe, however, in the simplicity that say people are either motivated by a love of others or for love of themselves.
    test
  14. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

Buddhism is a science of mind. Teaches you how to be happy.

its pretty simple. People like to call it a religion, but its more of a philosophy.

i think if the world adopted some of the philosophy seen in buddhism it would be a much more peacefull place for everyone.
    test
  15. Con.Found.Dead

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/29/us-myanmar-violence-idUSBRE94S0JD20130529

Even Buddhists be mad, tho. Plus there's like...hundreds of different forms and variations.
    test
  16. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

im obviously not talking about those people... and theyre just people that are buddhists. Everyone knows man is capable of doing shitty things.

and i said "adopted some of the philosophy" not "become buddhists"
    test