Gambling Fantasy: Rashad KOing Rampage AKA UFC 114

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by SeeSon, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

it's not because he's awkward it's just because they didn't get a chance to tap his chin

him and rashad got that in common

it was too late in the fight, but as soon as page tapped that boys chin he was about to get Knocked out
    test
  2. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

LMAO...you're really having fun with this...lol.
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

seeson is gonna look completely foolish after the fight
    test
  4. NOBLE SOLDIER

NOBLE SOLDIER Fireball Kid

test
  5. $1OOOOOO

$1OOOOOO Disintegrating in the fog

Can't find dream 14 betting lines.

just put me down 600 on Kim.

(mac, btw)
    test
  6. $1OOOOOO

here's a pretty good breakdown from josh gross

Each promoter. Each manager. Each trainer. For the past 11 years, nearly every person associated with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson -- and there have been many -- offered a similar assessment of the man: he's destined for stardom.

In some ways, Jackson, 31, has fulfilled those expectations. He is most certainly a star in the sense that people outside of mixed martial arts circles know his name, face and oversized personality. On June 11, for instance, his spin on Mr. T's cult classic character B.A. Baracus, played alongside Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper, hits movie houses in an adaptation of the mid-1980s television series The A-Team.

None of that happens without his achievements in MMA, of which there are many despite people close to Jackson (30-7) claiming over the years that he can be lazy in the gym and difficult to deal with. Both are true. Forget about training unless a fight is booked. He's the opposite of UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre in this regard. And coming off a 14-month period filled with more days on set than on the mat, it's fine to wonder how serious Jackson is about MMA. If the fan favorite hasn't regressed as a mixed martial artist, he definitely hasn't progressed.

Does he care? Debatable. Yes, at his core Jackson is a fighter. But if he could get away from MMA, even after just re-upping with the UFC for six more fights, he says he would.

Rashad Evans, like Jackson a former UFC light heavyweight champion, seems determined to help push "Rampage" out the door May 29 in Las Vegas, where the pair headline UFC 114 in a No. 1-contender fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena (pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET).

Four and a half years removed from winning the second season of The Ultimate Fighter, Evans has yet to sell himself in a big way to MMA fans. Respect comes in small doses for the former Michigan State wrestler, if it comes at all. Even though Evans, 30, knocked out Forrest Griffin five months after Griffin took Jackson's belt on points. Even after Evans (14-1-1) pasted Chuck Liddell in the purest knockout of 2008.

Jackson clearly expressed his opinion in the loud lead-in to Saturday's fight: Rashad who?

Past the hype of two men who seem to genuinely dislike one another, past the editing of reality shows and delays to film movies, whether the talk makes "Rampage" versus Evans more appealing to you or not, thankfully they're finally fighting. It's power against speed. Down in the dirt grittiness against movement.

I may be in the minority here, but my sense is Evans will win.

Expect the three-round fight to play out like a kickboxing bout, with Evans dancing in and out, cutting off the cage and setting up combinations, all the while playing enough defense to diffuse Jackson's considerable power. "Rampage" has ended fights with either hand, and as Lyoto Machida proved one year ago, Evans isn't beyond getting knocked out. I don't envision Evans having too much trouble as long as he can skip firefights, which he should be able to do against an opponent that has fallen into the habit of fatiguing and fighting flat-footed.

Locked up in the clinch is where Jackson could do his best work. Evans' takedowns may come into play when the two engage, though not as much as Jackson's size, knees and in-tight boxing game. Few fighters plant and fire uppercuts or compact hooks like Jackson; against a shorter man, watch out for that.

On the floor, neither Jackson nor Evans would make anyone's list of top-flight Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners. They grapple like wrestlers and have both violently finished opponents with strikes from the top. Long gone, however, are the days when Jackson simply slammed people. His technical wrestling deficiencies won't fly against Evans, when one or two takedowns could make a huge difference in the scoring of the fight. And it's no secret that the fighter on the bottom would be at a real disadvantage.

So I like Evans to hunt-and-peck his way to a decision. Keep distance, don't overextend, attack Jackson's poorly defended legs when he can. By my estimation, "Rampage" needs a sniper shot to pull it off.

After Forrest Griffin fell out of his light heavyweight bout against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, the promotion of UFC 114 fell into a more traditional boxing path. Still, there are noteworthy bouts leading up to the evening's main event, even if they've been swallowed whole by the long-simmering intensity of Jackson-Evans:

• Michael Bisping (18-3) remains in the process of rebuilding his name after losing to Dan Henderson at UFC 100. A stoppage over Denis Kang and a close decision loss to Wanderlei Silva did little to answer questions about his place in the middleweight division. Winning impressively over Dan Miller (11-3) should sort it out some. Miller, loser of two in a row to Chael Sonnen and Demian Maia, is excellent with submissions. He must rely on his ground game to win, but Bisping won't allow him many openings. Bisping by decision.

• Heavyweight prospect Todd Duffee (6-0) returns to the cage after a seven-second knockout last August to face the toughest test of his career against an understated, undervalued Mike Russow (12-1). Physically, Duffee is as intimidating as the division gets. He's an excellent athlete and appears to be a hard worker in a hard-working group at Xtreme Couture. We don't know how well the 24-year-old kid will handle a bigger, potentially stronger wrestler like the 33-year-old Russow, who has taken to training with UFC champion Brock Lesnar in recent months. This is a proper test for Duffee, one I think he passes. Duffee by TKO in the second round.

• Nogueira (18-3) should not have any problems with Griffin's replacement. Jason Brilz, a firefighter with an 18-2-1 record built against average opposition. Nogueira by submission in the second round.

• Returning to the welterweight division after a failed title run at 155, Diego Sanchez (21-3) is in a tough spot against undefeated English fighter John Hathaway (12-0). Sanchez dropped down from 170 last year because he couldn't handle bigger wrestlers like Josh Koscheck or Jon Fitch. Hathaway won't out-grapple Sanchez, but he's the bigger man by three inches and appears to be a natural fit in the division. Hathaway winning would be considered an upset, and that's the way I'm leaning. Hathaway by decision in a fun fight.
    test
  7. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

naa cant agree with em.. i think he made a good argument for an evans win against rampage from awhile back, but thats not the same rampage that washed wanderlei silva..

rampage been improvin like a motherfucker since his loss to forrest.. but rashad? his comeback against thiago was only good due to silva's lack of takedown defense... standing in the 3rd a gassed silva had him rocked, and had it been earlier in the fight we might not even be seeing rampage/rashad right now

look what happened when machida rocked evans early.. evans recovered but wasnt the same, got rocked again not to long after that and that was the beginning of the end, he only survived thiago cause his cardio was shot, woulda been the same situation

if rashad can stop rampage from puttin hands on em.. the fight can go the distance, i dont think rashad can finish it though
    test
  8. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

^not only was thiagos cardio shot, fool kept putting his hands down and taunting rashad, even after he rocked him instead of trying to finish
    test
  9. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

You guys really better be right about Rampage winning. If Rashad wins, I'm going to be talking so much shit...lol
    test
  10. jayoo

i hope you didnt make any real bets on rashad.. haha
    test
  11. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i just want rampage to win. as long as the fights are entertaining i could actually care less.
    test
  12. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

lol..it's no fun when your favorite is the favorite, i wish everybody wanted rashad to win so i could talk madd shit..lol
    test
  13. NOBLE SOLDIER

NOBLE SOLDIER Fireball Kid

this
    test
  14. $1OOOOOO

Doesn't matter either way.

I already have a list of excuses ready if Rashad loses. And as always, Rampage has a list ready if he loses.
    test
  15. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

LEWL, in before everyone starts hopping on the todd duffee bandwagon, which i have been DRIVING for the past two and a half years
    test
  16. jayoo

yeah.. cause hes so far in his career that its "jumping" on the bandwagon, once he start knocking out top heavyweights it becomes a bandwagon homie
    test
  17. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

if rashad won, I knew it'd be a gay decision....
    test
  18. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

this.

depressing card. diego lost, duffee got KTFO badly after dominating, and page lost

cant fucking wait til shogun sons rashad
    test
  19. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Glad I put my real money on Rashad. Got my money's worth on Diabate alone. Thanks, King Mo.
    test
  20. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Forgot about lil Nog getting owned ON THE GROUND smfh

I hate diego so i was glad he lost, that crazy knockout by the fat dude was the highlight of the event for me. I was fucking dying, he took all those heavy shots then threw a weak ass straight at the end of the fight and knocked dude out. :funny::cry:
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.