Gaining Tons of Strength, but Not that Much Mass. What to Change?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ben Official, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

I'm no expert when it comes to the gym. I've only been lifting about about 8 months and have had no weight training classes or any of that. I've gained so much strength since I started, so much, but my mass isnt showing it. Could it be my diet or what? Anyone hear of HST?
    test
  2. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

ya, it is your diet
    test
  3. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

It's got to be your diet. What does your diet look like?
    test
  4. Ben Official

ive always had an extremely fast metabolism. and i have a bit of an eating problem. when im not hungry, its nearly impossible to get food down my throat. ive never been a breakfast person. ill try to eat like a cereal bar or some shit at least but sometimes even that is hard. anyways, ive been eatin about 3 times a day which is the most i can get into my body. each around 500-700 calories so im takin in like 2000, 1600 minimum. i know i should be eating more smaller meals, but its hard to readjust. what i should be doing is takin a glass of my weight gainer in the morning when i cant eat. that shit would boost my calories by like 700 a day. im just so lazy lol.
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

You're only eating 3 meals a day and 2000 calories a day??? Yeah, it's definitely your diet.
    test
  6. Ben Official

help!

im doing everything i can.

i ask people.. how do you eat more?

everyone tells me the same exact thing... just constantly eat...eat eat eat... well that doesnt help at all. i eat as much as i can. i guess what im looking for is a magical secret to help me eat more, but i guess there is none. my body wants to be at this weight. i wish someone would write a book on how to gain weight instead of the 99 million out there on how to lose it.
    test
  7. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

It's as simple as force feeding yourself, YOU HAVE TO EAT. There's no way around it, there's no short cut.

If you don't already have some, get a tub of whey protein. Man you've got to start eating at least, AT LEAST 6 meals a day. This may sound like a lot or difficult at first, and it may be at the beginning. But as your body becomes accustomed to eating more than it's used to, it will get easier to eat more. You have to eat, and when you gain some weight your body will get used to that, and again, you're going to have to increase your caloric intake again if you want to get up on the scale.

And make sure you're getting at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight.
    test
  8. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

look, take it like this

your body doesnt want to be bigger naturally

maybe its better for you to stay skinnier

but you will be more agile in anything you do..just work out your max with the weight you have
    test
  9. Ben Official

I mean, I really only have 10 pounds to gain until I am where I want to be, which my doctor told me would be the best weight for my size.

i guess i just need more guidance on how to eat exactly how much/when/and what. anybody know of somewhere where i can learn more about this?

i really dont feel knowlegable at all when it comes to this.

i need to read up on how to get the diet i want.

thanks yall for the tips, its definately a start. those 6 meals you said, how many calories should each meal be? what should my daily caloric intake be?
    test
  10. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Fighting nature
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

What's your weight now? And how long do you want it to take to reach your ideal weight?
    test
  12. Ben Official

im 5'8 140

how long do i want to take to reach my idea weight? shit... i want to be it right now... or as soon as possible

realistically... a couple months?

in addition to not knowing what to eat , i am terrible at cooking and dont know what to get at the grocery store... i usually stock up on hungry man meals and various microwavable things that are easy to make. im very picky when it comes to food, and i usually go to jimmy johns, noodles and company, quiznos, or shit like that once a day, although my budget barely allows it.
    test
  13. Smile

Smile New Member

lol, you a bitch

I eat 3 meals a day

and than 1 huge night snack including around 50 grams of protein

i have around 6,000 calories daily
    test
  14. J o o k

J o o k Guest

Ben your problem is you eat like a petite woman.
    test
  15. style-rip

there are pills to help u with your appetite. just like pills to control it. do a bit of research, or ask your doctor. however, every week u should try to eat a lil bit more.. like throw in a yogurt with your cereal bar, etc
    test
  16. style-rip

one other thing i would like to mention.. when u wake up, try taking a 10 minute jog before breakfast. usually after u start sweatin a lil bit, your appetite goes through the roof.. at least for me. i believe vish touched on this before in another thread as well
    test
  17. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

lol, g00k
    test
  18. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

You sound like me.

You are trying to fight nature, your body wasn't designed to be bigger than it is now.

Here is what I did to help me when I was in your situation. Try to eat smaller meals at a time. You may not have known but your stomach compresses and expands when its full and empty. Thats why people can't eat that much after long periods of no consumption. Even though you feel starving you wont be able to eat much because your stomach is compressed and it fills up very quickly.

The key is to not eat so much at once.
    Drink milk or eat small (a peice of fruit or half a sandwich) about an hour before eating a larger meal, now your stomach is expanded
    Eat the rest of your meal but don't eat until you are full, just eat enough to where you aren't hungry so now your stomach will digest this faster and you will be hungry again sooner, continue doing this with each meal you eat and tell me if it works.
    Its what I had to do because I was in the same exact boat as you.

Just remember to expand your stomach before eating and don't eat until you are full, that way your body digests this food intake quickly and you will be hungry again within a few hours.

Hope it helps.
    test
  19. Ben Official

THANKS MAN. This is pretty much what I assumed, at least in part, but its a lot better to hear it from someone who was once in the same position as me. People told me to eat smaller meals, but I wasnt sure exactly how it worked. This makes a lot of sense.

So if I'm not hungry, like now for example, it would be smarter to wait until I'm a little bit hungry and eat a small meal or would it be smarter for me to get something small in my stomach now so that it will make me hungry in a little while when I can eat that smaller meal and repeat?
    test
  20. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

If you aren't hungry then don't eat. When you get a "little bit" hungry then eat a small meal like a half sandwich. That will tide you over for about 30 mins to an hour then you will be hungry again. Then you eat a larger meal (don't get full, just enough to subdue the hunger but eat more than you did 30 mins ago). If you didn't eat enough to get full then you will be hungry again in 2 hours or so. Then repeat.

Doing it this way will slowly train your body to get used to eating more "often". You still eat the same amount of food as before but just eat 6 times a day in smaller portions instead of 3 large portions.

After a week or 2 gradually begin increase the amount of food you eat during your pre-meal (like eat a whole sandwich instead of half). After a few weeks you'll notice that your pre-meal and your larger meals are about the same size now. At this point you can begin to increase your larger meals even more. Ah well you get the picture.

This method is here to make your body get hungry every 2 hours or so. So you shouldn't have to worry about forcing yourself to eat when you aren't hungry because I know first hand how hard that is to do.

Try it like that, hopefully itll help you.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.