Futhering your vocabulary skills

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Precious1, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Precious1

Precious1 ReLoved, ReVamped, ReBorn

Am I the only one that reads the dictionary?? How do you strengthen your word usage?
    test
  2. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I tried the dictionary but i dont like readin that shit, gets boring to me. But i do read alot of books, i read everyday...i'm addicted to it.
    test
  3. 49th Prophet

49th Prophet Dark Magic Inferno

Yeah the dictionary is a good way to learn words, but myself, I try and take things in as often as I can, from reading fantasy books, to watching shows on science and space exploration, and even everyday conversations that go on around me. There might be a word, or word combination I hear that will spark an idea, then it branches off into other ideas from there, though I am sure everyone does what works for them, this seems to work for me.
    test
  4. da_after_shock

da_after_shock New Member

reading in general helps period. seeing word usage always increases vocabulary
    test
  5. allnakey

allnakey Sex is no fun by yourself

Just start readin a lot more, the dictionary aint interesting and you can only retain so much of the words defs. you read in there.
    test
  6. lpoet

lpoet POET

sometimes i just open up the dictionary and learn a word and try to incorporate it into one of my poems...but its been a while since i've done that...reading books has greatly increased my vocab...i'd reccomend that to everyone
    test
  7. Vulkan'XL

Vulkan'XL New Member

Amen to reading, I'm alos taking an Etymology class in school right now that helps me learn words and the meanings of words much faster. I would is class if you are interested in a stronger vocab and making your SAT scores ellevate a little!
    test
  8. tk2oo3

tk2oo3 New Member

im a tell you.. if you wanna use the dictionary for poetry your fuckin up right there it can help vocab but trust me it wont help poetry, simple yet creative words are key not complex & unheard words like those in the dictionary.. the dictionary can help wit learning in general though it again is a waste of time, i know malcom x read the dictionary while in jail i was really surprised he used it for making speeches & reading, so theres really not too much application for the dictionary beyond a word or two.. i read somethin i like which would mean usually books on crime and on the workings of strategy & mind.. pick somethin interesting you get first off ideas from it second if you read enough you will notice over a long period of time you build simple yet powerful vocab.. imagery not complex words are key because your purpose is to be understood first of all..
    test
  9. skandelous_lala

skandelous_lala back from the dead

i couldn't agree more. i pick up more things just reading naturally then actually trying to learn something new on purpose.
    test
  10. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts MysteryOfUntoldTruth

i seee how do you improve your term memory toremmmaber the words u read in books?
    test
  11. MisterEThoughts

how long do you suggest reading and how often and when night morning and shit and when u don't understand a word you suggest looking it up?
    test
  12. Whynot?

Whynot? Just Shut Up

The way i try and improve my vocabulary is by reading the dictionary, but i pick one word a day and write it down and say it over and over again until i remember the word, it takes a while to get a lot of words, but it works.... for me.
    test
  13. Deficiency

Deficiency True Poetical Emcee

i started building my vocab years ago.. I would like look thru the thesaurus.. and the dictionary.. and just look for words that i think fits in my type of style and that I like. There are so many ways that I built up my vocab.. like, at school.. i would look at a poster and if it has a word that i don't know i'd look it up.. and i'd write the word down. I'd watch t.v and if someone uses a word that I think has a meaning that I like.. then i will write it down and use it.. there are countless ways to build up vocab.. listening to people talk.. reading lyrics.. etc. etc. etc...
    test
  14. MisterEThoughts

i see yea i started reading more i have noticed that i got better vocab and not only that but my grammaer usage and stuff liek that got better.
    test
  15. MURDERGHOST

MURDERGHOST New Member

i usually stick to my favorite words.........but i need to update my vocab.....

the dictionary is alright......but....it dont express the words in idea......

so instead....i read.....do a lot of reading.... and keep my reading blessed with diversity......

meaning i read from numerous sources...... and pick things up...... just random interest.....from love to hate.......

sika....
    test
  16. MisterEThoughts

read read read
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.