Fuck Pro Tools! ! !

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Track Gunnaz, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eNfO

eNfO YEEEAH BABY

wtf @ 18 tracks for 3 verses

there are plenty of hits out there where they only use 1 vocal track for the whole song
    test
  2. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

I guess you're missing out, as well as anyone else who's never tried using 2 leads, 2 overdubs, and 2 adlibs panned and leveled correctly.

Keep using 3
    test
  3. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

lmaoo. this is true though
    test
  4. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yes, because we all love muddy inaudible vocals :):

i can't think of an industry track that has more than 3 vocal tracks for a rap song...and that's still lead, adlibs and a cut in part where they'd need to do a second track because words overlap
    test
  5. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

what is there to miss out on? Im not trying to knock you or anything I just can't see what using 6 tracks would bring to the table besides maybe a thicker vocal which could also be achieved with a warmer mic pre. What is there to miss out on?
    test
  6. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

wtf are u guys talking about. MOST choruses use at LEAST 6 tracks by itself. you guys talk like u know shit and u dont. wtf@tracks using 1 vocal track. nigga u done lost yo damn mind.
    test
  7. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

I've never seen his session files... BUT..

I'd bet Joe Buddens uses 4-5 tracks for a verse... alot of his shit he def. has 2 leads, 2 ad libs and an overdub for certain phrases...

And the hook on Hov's "Kingdom Come" I'm positive has 4-5 tracks to it...
    test
  8. cyi-borg

cyi-borg New Member

wow

easy fellas

do whatever the fuck u want

just make sure it sounds good

obv diff people gon do diff shit diff ways... just whatever u do... whatever ure craft is.. make it sound good and stop comparin ad bein so fuckin close minded
    test
  9. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

this nigga said "witch"

lmaoooo
    test
  10. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

I mean of course you can't see it... you not on that level yet to see it.

We are actually POLISHED over here. I dont know what kinda people you work with... but Me and everyone I fuck with can easily record a lead, overdub it and have it soundin damn there exactly like the first lead.

When you add that perfection on the verse, the dubs, and the adlibs...then Pann them up nice... you get a good sound (even with my Pre Amp and Compressor)

All the overdubs and layers we do would only be bad if it sounded sloppy...I cutt niggas off and re-do shit even if ONE WORD is off.

But thats what seperates perfectionist from people like you.

My formula is the shit
    test
  11. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

i use 3 track per person.........
    1 lead vocal
    1 overdub
    1 adlibs

i layer the hook 5 times........
    1 lead
    4 overdubs

and i pan em......

and often after this, theres no need for any reverb....

so on average, i'm usin 14 - 20 tracks

u prolly dont need more than 32, but then again...if u trackin your beat....yeah ur fucked.......thats why i use cubase.......
    test
  12. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

Muddy? Read the post above....

And if you listen to Too Shorts shit he's been layering and panning since his albums from 88-89... what are you talkin about???

You said it yaself - you just an engineer... so ya opinion to what is logical and needed to make anything in Hip Hop is pretty much invalid to me.

Bottomline...I know my formula.
    test
  13. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

I'm gonna upload a sample of a 6 track recorded verse...
    test
  14. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

test
  15. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

bottom line: to each his own... nobody is right or wrong, everybody got their own way of recording... and i can vouch for the track gunnaz, they shit hot.
    test
  16. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

basically ^ ^ ^

its all about the final product
    test
  17. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

Thank you! The way people track, record and stack their vocals usually is a major factor in having their own sound. How the hell can you say 6 tracks is wrong if thats part of their sound. There are plugins that achieve this "Double Tracking" effect, Waves has some for example. Anyhow, when you are dealing with a limited number of tracks you must use different techniques such as consolidating your tracks, you get a relative pan an level on tracks that work together as a group, and you consolidate them to stereo. You dont always need to have the tracks separated. Since you are on the computer you can always recall, mute tracks and steal voices from other tracks. The reality is that if you are using pro tools LE/M Powered, you probably arent putting a professional mix on your work where you need to be concerned with having control of the ever single individual track like that. Consolidation is your friend.
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Whats to say that I havent worked with anyone whos polished? You haven't heard 1/4 of the material Ive done stop making assumptions. I listened to your sample track it sounds good I never said 6 tracks would sound bad tho I simply said I cannot imagine using that many tracks but Im not a fan of using dubs really. If you had heard anything else I've done outside of the Krestyle tracks you would be aware of that. I sounds to me more like thats all you know so you use that technique which is fine if it aint broke dont fix it. What I came here to do was offer an alternative way of thinking as well as learn something new about your recording technique which is why I asked in the first place. Nobody here likes sloppy shit get that thought out your head right now. Im not even sure where you get that idea from. Your formula may be the shit to u but right now it ain't workin for u and quite honestly I don't give a fuck. Enjoy your "perfection" if thats what you want to call it
    test
  19. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

This is what I said from the beginning but he decided to shit on it so whatever fuck him. 6 tracks I think is a lot but then turnging around and going 30 seconds down the line in the song and using 6 more tracks when there is free space in the 6 tracks you just used is wasteful. Automation is your friend and I will leave it at that Im done with this.
    test
  20. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

lol, no, they certainly don't have multiple lead vocal tracks

50 cent, eminem, dre, kanye, luda, all the lil rappers, ti, jayz....all one lead vocal, one adlib track and MAYBE one other track filling in other shit, nothing more

the thickness comes from using GOOD equipment and mixing well...a tight, close reverb with a half decent amount of predelay (ie. 25-40ms) will give the appearance of a second backing track, perfectly syncd with the origional adding thickness

at least six tracks my ass

hooks are maybe 3, and that's if you're doing some RnB type stuff
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.