Fuck Pro Tools! ! !

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Track Gunnaz, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noVa ProductionZ

noVa ProductionZ RS7K 4 LIFE!!! MPC BLOWS!

buy fucking real pro tools and stop whining.
    test
  2. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

believe me if I had the money i'd cop that HD shit
    test
  3. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

didn't know pro tools had limited tracks...

and as far as the competition...how about right now?
    test
  4. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

nevermind about the competition...

I just listened to your myspace page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=23996577

you on some rock and roll shit... get the fuck outta here.

listen to the drums on your first track...

thats the shit I'm talking about.... for someone who claims to be so musically advanced - those songs are horrible.

you may have the technical ear for good recording, but ya ear for talent and what sounds good is shitty as the words comin out ya arguements... maybe you get a buzz for what it is you guys do, Rock and Roll. but dont come on a HIP HOP message board and try to insult people with that weak shit on your page.
    test
  5. Dre Derelict

Dre Derelict New Member

Wow, one of the few times I completely agree with Arcane...

And dissing the dude's music, or tastes in his music does nothing to hurt his argument nor help yours. ESPECIALLY since an engineer pretty much has to have an open ear and respect for all music. Shit, I'm not even an engineer and I like all music (besides country). His ear for talent has shit to do with the fact that his argument is simply saying 32 tracks has to be e-fucking-nough, and if it isn't there's SO many ways to get that...what's the prob?

But really, 32 tracks not being enough is crazy to me. Then complaining about it, especially when you're actually using the program is crazy as well. On top of that, KNOWING that there are ways to get all those fucking crazy tracks you want. If you had the money you'd get it...of course. But damn, what does PT have to do with your financials? They have the option out there, for those who can afford the HD and want the benefits of it, guess what...they have it. Without having to use AND complain with what they have.

I think it's even more funny how cats want all those tracks, but seriously...can't really mix at a professional sounding level (at least not to the point where having more than 32 tracks is a must).

I don't know, just my two.
    test
  6. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

When we do vocals, we lay 2 tracks (mono) for the verse. Then 2 for the overdubs, and 2 more for the panning.

With 3 different people, that's 18 tracks mono right there just for the verses.

The hook will probly be another added 6 tracks. Not to mention an Intro and Outro... thats 4 more tracks, maybe even 8

We easily use an average of 34-36 tracks on Cool Edit everytime we record, and I mix it all.

Thats with the beat being 2 tracked...

with the beat being 2 tracked, our shit is like 50+

I think I feel what Arcane is saying with the Layer A, B, C, D shit... I might be making more work for myself than I need to be.

Pro Tools is the shit, best program I worked with... but the track limit is what makes me not like the shit
    test
  7. Gamshooter

Gamshooter New Member

its limited to 32 tracks because those pro tools setups are sposed to be for "home" use so to speak, its not their fulley functional package witch they also wanna sell its a low cost alternative to it, hence the limitations

I think 32 tracks is decent, you should be able to do a track with that

i mean tracks can build up especialy if u are seperating all your small percussion sounds they can certain add up past 32, but u just have to give them a decent mix and bounce it 1 track
    test
  8. GTDProductions

GTDProductions Aye

oucheeee.....

James are you sure your not "Mr. Hyde"?
    test
  9. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

u dont know what i use. my setup changes every couple months the only thing that stays standard is reason. and why cant u do all of ur layers for 1 part in 1 track?u dont need more than 1 track for 1 layer i never understood why people look past that. either way Im not defending pro tools im just saying that 32 tracks should be more than enough for beats and vocals.
    test
  10. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

now why r u using 6 tracks a verse? use automation and re use those tracks on each verse. that will save u cpu power and it will cut ur track count down by a 1/3 of course youll need new tracks for the hook but theres no real reason to use a new track for every verse thats wasteful especially since u dont have a lot of tracks to work with. If u do that u will have 20 more tracks to use to track the beat as well. Depending on your workflow it may be a hassle but thats the best thing u can do outside of buying the expansion for 48 tracks or returning Pro Tools. After using PT for a while u will really see u don't need all of that.
    test
  11. Track Gunnaz

Track Gunnaz GUNNA #1

I use 6...

2 for the main lead... 2 for the overdubs... 2 for adlibs.... plus the panning game plays a big role.
    test
  12. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i get that much. what im saying is are u using 6 new tracks for every verse or the same 6 thruout the song. if ur using 6 new ones as i am assuming try reusing the tracks later down the line and automate the panning and fx ur using
    test
  13. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

dude, i just mix the way people tell me to, if the band/artist that's paying me sucks ass at making music, i really have 0 control over that, people pay me good money because i'm good at what i do...really good...i may have 0 musical ability, but i've got more engineering credits than you can shake a stick at- live and studio side

i'll out mix you any day....any console, any medium, any amount of whatever the fuck you want...give me the same tracks as you have and i'll put $100 down that my finished product will sound better than yours, shit, give me a 4 track tascam tape recorder, a behringer eq, behringer compressor and some other shitty ass peice of dollar store gear, doesn't really matter to me

lol @ 18 tracks for 3 peoples vocals...take any industry hip hop track apart and there's MAYBE 5-6 tracks of vocals for a 3 person collab...
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

mr hyde?
    test
  15. GTDProductions

GTDProductions Aye

^ Yea hes a artist signed with necros' label Your voice and delievery sound some what the same.

www. necrohiphop . com peep him out
    test
  16. Dre Derelict

Dre Derelict New Member

Sounds like a lot of extra work. I remember going in a studio in VA Beach for a session and the cats there were JUST finishing up some shit from ol' boy that used to be in Blackstreet (can't remember his name) using Pro Tools, and there weren't that many tracks. Then I asked them to let me hear this mc they had been working with (cuz I heard he was nice, and shit he was...reminds me I gotta holla...) and he had his shit on PT as well. No stereo mix on the beat, tracked out...and there weren't as many tracks on there. These are higher level professional recordings.

Cats gotta start bouncing and shit. Layers and adlibs, verse recordings on vocals with that many sole tracks...don't gotta make it that busy. And the fact that you'll use all those tracks for vocals yet still use a stereo mix of the beat seems pointless to me anyway. Might as well go the whole nine.

I love PT. Cubase and Adobe Audition (ONLY cuz i worked with it so long, can't stand recording with it now) are my second options.
    test
  17. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

LMAO... u ain't lyin cuz i sure couldn't

But DP... u using a shitload of tracks cuzzo. 6 per verse is a LOT... my shit is normally:

1 for the leads
    1 for backs/stresses
    1... MAYBE 2 for adlibs

Some tracks are even simpler than that... I'm not a big fan of stackin a shitload of vocals unless u doing some pop or really club type shit.

Arcane, do me a favor and hit me up ASAP... I got some questions about those layers that I'd like to talk to u about: boutdatmoney@tapingyourmouth.com
    test
  18. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

and thats really all you should need. If your vocals still sound too thin maybe its time for a new mic pre or mic or even combo. Or even using a warm reverb on them. Lots of ways to not have to use so many tracks I don't get why he would need 6 per verse.
    test
  19. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

um...since when do I rap? lol

i have two rappers tracks on my myspace that i've worked with...one's Iron off this site, and the other is a local band from Toronto called fineprint
    test
  20. GTDProductions

GTDProductions Aye

OOOO ok one of those guys sounds like mr. hyde. Sorry my dude
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.