Fruity loops vs. Ableton live

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Protege_, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege_

Protege_ without the underscore

ok check it out. I know there's been endless debates between reason and fruity loops. there have been hella "reason vs. fruity loops" threads. but i've always thought that those 2 programs were incomparable because FL was more of a studio interface. it's like comparing •••••s and oranges.

but i've been trying to think about what's better between FL and ableton live. What do y'all think? as in overall of the 2 programs.
    test
  2. BlackScopeMusic

BlackScopeMusic Breath of Fresh Air

u got it backwards
    test
  3. Protege_

Protege_ without the underscore

no i don't have it backwards. anyone who's used both fruity loops and reason knows that they actually can't be compared:

(1) fruity loops allows for time stretching samples and tempo detection, etc. (at least in a much better way than the nn-xt does)

(2) reason can be rewired into fruity loops while fruity loops can't be rewired into reason.

(3) reason is used MAINLY for its stock sounds while fruity loops is built more for sampling.

(4) fruity loops works with VSTs while reason does not (probably the most important difference)

the reason why Reason and fruity loops can't be compared is because fruity loops is obviously more encompassing in terms of abilities than reason is. ableton live and fruity loops are actually more comparable. So with this in mind, i'm asking what y'all opinions are. What do you think is better overall?
    test
  4. ral4ever1985

ral4ever1985 CHETA

believe me man nobody will ever get their questions answered if you put FL and Reason in the same topic, sorry man thats just the way it is on here
    test
  5. StoneWarrior68

StoneWarrior68 New Member

Well, for audio work, Live is easily better because it's serious about audio. For midi work, FL is easily better because while FL only barely dabbles in audio, it's fairly serious about midi. Neither are touching something like Cubase in either area though.

I'd say that Live's midi implementation/ piano roll etc leaves much to be desired. Live is also seriously a resource hog while FL is not. It's still hard to say that one is "overall" better than the other. FL's biggest advantage is the fact that it does everything, more or less. Live's angle is that it's designed for live performance. Many people swear by Live's "jamming" ability. Personally, I never warmed up to any of the programs that squeeze everything into a single window or two. Live, Tracktion, Project 5, and so on, all feel very cramped to me.
    test
  6. CompassSaviour

CompassSaviour Got no brain, goin insane

I fuckin love tracktion, I'm probably going to get a full copy if I ever start recording drum kits.
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i disagree. I personally love live (except for it being a resource hog) but it does everything FL can plus its more angled toward audio which i think gives it the edge. tho in a hip hop setting Live my be more or less overkill because its not often a beatmaker is gonan use all of the audio aspects or a rapper will use all the beatmaking aspects but if ur goin point for point id say Live is argueablly the best beatmaking program on the market. In my Top 5 Live would be 2nd while Cubase would probably be 4th or 5th.
    test
  8. b-real 123

b-real 123 New Member

I love how Live 5 handles loops.I can have loops with different BPM and it's allways
    in sync.
    test
  9. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

These threads are pointless...

All your going to get is opinions based what people use... people that use FL are going to say FL is better... same thing w/ Live, Reason, Cubase, Nuendo..etc.

It all comes down to preferences and workflow...
    test
  10. Dre Derelict

Dre Derelict New Member

Actually, I like threads like these. Learning everyones process in beat making, and things that certain software offers that your personal preference doesn't (or does in a different matter).
    test
  11. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

I am unbiased. I use Sonar Home Studio and Reason 3 and I believe Project 5 is best program on the market
    test
  12. b-real 123

b-real 123 New Member

I 'am also a fan of Project 5 .Version 2 is really off the hook.
    If you like Reason I think you may also like it.
    test
  13. wazkidwas

wazkidwas New Member

Beach Paradise - Great Voyagers! Amazing pics

Hope this is the right section to post ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    test
  14. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

no it isnt...
    test
  15. JOE SimFuhNee

JOE SimFuhNee New Member

test
  16. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

This Type Of Shyt Is Lame....

all these new name motherfuckers...

Just Join Today.....Niggaz Are Lame....

Well Some Are....

SMH...

Sorry Bastards...

BKster
    test
  17. Macmili

Macmili Thorough

it certainly was
    test
  18. Ev-G (Producer)

Ev-G (Producer) New Member

In my opinion FL is better
    test
  19. nwo504

nwo504 Rawtunez

i never got into live i mainly do midi stuff so I stick with FL
    test
  20. Phoenix5891

Phoenix5891 T.S.K.

Live is better but that is too hard for me to learn by myself so I'm sticking with FL.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.