from "A Few Don'ts" by Ezra Pound

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Anaphora, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

An "Image" (note the capital I -anaphora) is that which presents an intellectual and omotional complex in an instant of time... It is the presentation of such a "complex" instantaneously which gives that sense of liberation; that sense of freedom from time limits and space limits; that sense of sudden growth, which we experience in the presence of the greatest works of art.
    It is better to produce one Image in a lifetime that to produce voluminous works.
    All this, however, some may consider open to debate. The immediate necessity is to tabulate A LIST OF DON'TS for those beginning to write verses. I can not put them all into mosaic negative.

Use no superfluous word, no adjective which does not reveal something.

Don't use such an expression as "dim lands of peace. It dulls the image. It mixes an abstraction with the concrete. It comes from the writer's not realizing that the natural object is always the adequate symbol.

Go in fear of abstractions. Do not retell in mediocre verse what has already been done in good prose. Don't think any intelligent person is going to be deceived when you try to shirk all the difficulties of the unspeakably difficult art of good prose by chopping your composition into line lengths.
    test
  2. would dim lands of peace always be erring? What about 'dim lands of peace' to capture the silent battle field at dusk after the carnage? I dont think its fair to say a statement would never fit under any circumstances.
    test
  3. predicate

predicate New Member

I want to say a lot about this, but Brit Boi Gee would just ruin it with his love of bad poetry. So all I can do is tell him to shoot himself and hope for the best.
    test
  4. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Brit; There's exceptions to every so called rule. But in 98% of the cases where you'll see a phrase such as 'dim lands of peace' it will not be enhanced by the abstraction, and instead will weaken the concreteness. Here, another quote, this one is neitzsche

Those who know they are profound strive for clarity. Those who would like to seem profound to the crowd strive for obscurity.
    test
  5. BrokenSoul8604

BrokenSoul8604 Apparently Emotionless

good lookin out on this one....
    test
  6. predicate

predicate New Member

I used that same quote in one of these poetry discussions.

...but to no avail
    test
  7. You want to say a lot about this, but I would ruin it? What a baby.lol

I thought it was a fair reply; No need to throw your rattle out of the pram. Atleast you had some input though, however banal and cheap/
    test
  8. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

I think it was a fair comment. haha

Honestly though, Brit, you should know by now that every rule CAN be broken, but when it's broken by someone who doesn't know the rule, it isn't broken for a good reason, but because they don't know better... ending in a worse poem/prose piece.

It's like cliches. You don't call a woman a flower, unless you have a DAMN good new idea about the concept... like, that the prettiest thing about her is her vagina, and you're a bee just trying to pollenate. BITCHES.

abstractions are bbbbbbbaaaaaadddddddd. Metaphors that do the work of the abstractions and then some are GOOOOOOOODD.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.