Friendship strains..

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by GaLaTeA, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

...ever had friends who despite asking you for opinion in turn disregard it, but don't think twice before calling you in tears in the middle of the oddest late night/early morning hours?

Why do some women even ask for damn opinions?

Hanging up.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

people sometimes disregard others opinions because they left out important details that would alter your advice so in turn they dont believe you fully understand. At the same time though its their fault you dont understand because its them that left out certain facts and whatnot on purpose in hopes youd side with them, they still ask though and they do it for confirmation of what they are feeling.
    test
  3. grandgroove

grandgroove New Member

I find that frustration a lot when a friend knows in their heart *not* to do something, but they want you to agree with their doing it so they can rationalize it. But yeah, when they leave out important details or "mispresent" it, it sucks for you later when they come back for consolation.

I say all of this having done the same nonsense, though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

nobody is perfect were all human and subject to our own insecurities
    test
  5. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

I don't have any friends.

[​IMG]
    test
  6. GaLaTeA

There's occasions when one can't understand and/or relate to, but they're still being there as support.

And you're absolutely right, there's always three sides to every story behind opinion asked, although sometimes both parties involved try to play the tug of war routine, which is annoying to say the least.

That's one of the things that makes me madfaaced to no end in the 1st place. The indecisiveness. And sometimes being blantantly honest gets you nowhere.

[​IMG]
    test
  7. grandgroove

grandgroove New Member

I had to explain to my mom what a brony is. That was hilarious.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i have a guy friend in artschool here who absolutely LOVES the new my little pony. He calls himself a "bronie" and wants all 6 tatted on his back.
    test
  9. GaLaTeA

Do people who're into smurfs have a nicname as well?
    test
  10. Envy

Envy Song Writer / Artist.

Just because you give someone your opinion does not mean they are obligated to follow it, we are all human and will make our own decisions on things, people like to ask thoughts on things generally to see if they have a "general consensus" view.
    test
  11. GaLaTeA

Privately, of course not. People really should start trusting their instincts on judgement calls tho.

Professionally, that's another ball game.
    test
  12. AliceHouse

He's probably autistic, I know I am. I want a Pinkamena tattoo, I like her, she kills people and make clothes out of their flesh.
    test
  13. themomhunter

themomhunter Hide Your Kids/Wife

I'm probably missing a few jumps here, but what does being autistic have to do with liking My Little Pony, tattoos, and violence?
    test
  14. AliceHouse

Well, what do you know about autism?
    test
  15. themomhunter

I know a reasonable amount, as I have family that's autistic, as well as a close friend, I've volunteered with the Autism Speaks foundation and I went to college for psychology and spent a fair amount of time studying neurological behavior.

I think I'd bore people if I went into an essay on what I know about autism, but I don't think any autistic person I know likes My Little Pony or tattoos. Violence might be another story.
    test
  16. AliceHouse

I wouldn't be bored by it.

Anyway, what it is is simple. Autism is a real thing that many people don't understand. As with anything that makes people different, it's used to insult and make fun of people.

Now, when My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic became a thing, it started a fanbase of predominately older male humans who termed themselves "bronies." As with anything that exists, there will of course, be haters. When I discovered it, I wanted to see what the big deal was, I watched the show and I liked it. I thought it was cool, but I also fit somewhere on the autistic spectrum. On the other hand, you might be the one to tell me a thing or two.

I assume you know all this? But now we're all caught up to speed. So what do bronies have to do with autism? Primarily the fanbase. Now of course, I'm familiar with the "No True Scotsman Fallacy." Autism isn't a prerequisite.

But as it stands, at the worst, bronies tend to be social outcasts. Have interests in a very narrow field (ponies.) They tend to be people who have difficulties forming relationships. There is a strong tendency to be unable to distinguish what is acceptable and what is not acceptable behavior. And have a tendancy to live in fantasy more than reality. (All of which I'm guilty of. Especially the last part.)

Now, is any of this fair to say brony=autistic? Of course not, don't be silly. The "insult" of autism is primarily used by haters. But that doesn't mean we can't have some ability to make fun of ourselves in good jest. Still, sometimes people take it too far. The brony community itself takes it too far. To me it's a fandom. I'm a fan of a lot of things, pokemon, Star Wars, Turtles, etc. But I don't "obsess" over any of these in an unhealthy manner. Sadly, some do. Some do in fact to embarrassing degrees. There are a slew of videos on youtube which demonstrate how cringe-worthy bronies can be. It makes me cringe to see an old neckbeard at a McDonalds flipping on some poor girl because he got a background no-name pony in his happy meal instead of a Fluttershy.

Then there's clopping... we won't talk about that. Clopping is how I discovered the show in the first place. (We both have a thing for... uh...hooves.)

[​IMG]
    test
  17. themomhunter

I guess one learns something new everyday. I knew the aspects of autism you mentioned (I assume you're on the higher functioning side like an Aspie) but I didn't know a thing about My Little Pony other than it seeming like it's for young girls. I guess when the social aspect is introduced the link is much clearer.
    test
  18. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  19. GaLaTeA

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.