Freeing up RAM?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Nu Child, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Digga

Ray Digga NeosulOSkoolAbstrkHipHop

I have all that ram because I use 300 of it as a Ram Drive.....When I edit track in Cubase or Cool Edit Pro and set the perferences to the ram drive, editing is super fast...surfing the net is blazing....
    test
  2. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

*sigh*

RAM is temporary memory. Kind of like whenever I post an answer on this board and it's asked a week later by another person. That's temporary memory.

HD is permanent memory. Kind of like when I archive an answer and isntead of retying an answer everytime, I just link your lazy ass to the article.

They are different and do different things and do not effect each other in turns of user-end speed, but both effect user-end speed in general.
    test
  3. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

it doesnt give you more memory, but it frees up more memory for applications.
    test
  4. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

umm...sorta kinda...but not really

A computer will save files where ever it can on the harddrive. So if you have a file xxxxxx and a file yyyyyy - the computer might save:

xx400 0xyyo enmxx oeyyy.

In other words, it saves your files (on the HARDDRIVE) with other shit all over the place. So when your cpu decides it needs file xxxxx (from the HARDDRIVE), it would have to go to 3 places on the HARDDRIVE to get it (that's a bad thing). Defragmenting gets your files (on the HARDDRIVE) back to xxxxx and yyyyy.

You may end up with a fraction of a percent more free space (on the HARDDRIVE) because your harddrive is being used more effeciently - but nothing worth mentioning.

You're twisting "memory" and "storage". It wouldn't free "memory" - it might free a ity bity bit of "storage space" - but it will make accessing your Harddrive more effecient and, therefore, faster.
    test
  5. War Machine

War Machine Sam Antics

well...64 mb of ram...is highly outdated...

even with "memturbo" or any of the good free ram freeing applications...the most ud ever have would be 64, and thats if it was fully free, all the time

go throw down 40 bux and get some ram..its very inexpensive now...u can probly find a 512 ram stick sumwhere for a good price online or sumthing
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.