Forget the other shit...need that Chrisette Michele

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Mask2MyFace2, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

best album I've heard thus far....

better than NeYo, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone, Rihanna, TPain. Lloyd

I'm impressed
    test
  2. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

she has a nice jazzy sound, I love it. I think her album drops next Tuesday the 19th. Favorite track? Good Girl
    test
  3. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

man I will definitely purchase this joint...album of the year so far...I like every song except for "Best of Me".

Favorite song is If I had My Way or Like A Dream also In This For You, Lets Ride, Love Is You....

she also has a unique sound and style...well written, well produced, well sung...just basically greatness...

I know I sound like some kind of member of a street team or something but this shit right here nigga...this shit right here...lol... I haven't been this satisfied with a debut since Teedra Moses - Complex Simplicity and that was a while ago (by the way where is Teedra Moses anyway?)
    test
  4. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Her album is out?

I'm sleeping...

I am planning to see her when she joins Musiq for the Luvan Musiq Tour though.
    test
  5. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I was impressed with the hook she did on Nas' joint. I'll check for her.

I don't understand all of the hype surrounding Amy Winehouse... she hasn't hit me yet.
    test
  6. Ixtlan

Thank God someone else said it. I just don't get all the hype surrounding her.
    test
  7. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

After listening to about 2/3 of her album once through, I'm sort of ambivalent, but I'll avoid passing any official judgement til I hear it all the way through in one sitting.

I think Amy Winehouse gets pushed up because retro is all the cultural rage right now, and her album successfully takes a retro aesthetic (in the arrangements and harmonies) while still sounding managing to sound modern, which can be a difficult feat (consider Ryan Shaw, Ricky Fante, and, to a lesser extent, Sharon Jones). Even so, I still think Emma Bunton's Free Me is a better (perhaps the best I can think of) example of that approach, though she's not R&B at all, steeped in homage to Burt Bacharach/Brill Building style.
    test
  8. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

On second listen, this album is quite good, although it drags at the end. 'In This For You' should have been replaced by 'Hero' and 'Is This The Way Love Feels' doesn't need a 3 minute coda that doesn't really go anywhere new or interesting musically. Other than that, I have no complaints. Vocally, she is very interesting, very listenable.
    test
  9. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

I am about to pick this album up tomorrow.
    test
  10. Woe D

Woe D New Member

Chrissette is hella dope, Amy is hella dope. I can listen to Amy the whole way through. Chrissette's albums I skip on like 2 songs. I think if I had to choose then I'd pick Amy's cd over Chris', both are mad nice tho.
    test
  11. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I just ordered it today. I like her and am willing to give her a chance, but my only gripe is... why is almost every neo-soul female coming out all over Billie Holiday's jock? First, it was Erykah, then it was Jill Scott... now it's Corrine Bailey Rae, Amy Winehouse, and Chrisette Michele. Erykah and Jill were able to set themselves apart and have their own distinct sounds now... but those others are on Billie heavily. Actually, Chrisette is like a mixture of every female jazz singer. I don't know. I just wonder why they all jock Ms. Holiday so much. And then on the male side, every neo-soul male crooner either sounds like Prince or Stevie Wonder.
    test
  12. Ixtlan

Well why don't you just undersell the importance of three of Urban music's most celebrated icons?

I don't know that Erykah Badu has shaken all of her influences entirely.
    She's doing Chaka now... And I'm fine with that because she has redeeming qualities of her own.

You don't seem to have a problem with your girl Keyshia Cole doing what's been done before.

I honestly think anytime you've been shaped by someone of BH's iconic stature it's bound to be noticeable in some way.
    test
  13. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

^I don't have a major problem with it. I just wonder why Billie seems to be their favorite. Everybody has their influences. I guess it's kinda like when Bird came out, every saxophone player tried to sound like him. Nas was a G Rap clone on his demo, but he developed his own style from Illmatic on. Chrisette actually has traces of a lot of singers in her style. Jill is more on some Sarah Vaughn shit right now.
    test
  14. Teen Prodigy

I said from the first few times I heard her that Chrisette is like Billie Holiday and Jill Scott wrapped into one. She has a lot of talent, and I think she will grow a lot on her second album. After buying the album today after much delay, I was pleased and I do not regret my purchase. I thought "love is you" would have been a nicer way to end the album, but lets ride and 'is this how love feels' are both good tracks. I didn't like the bonus track, it was too sappy and took the album in a different direction for me a little bit.

I like the album and will be listening to it again
    test
  15. Ixtlan

Saw CM last night for the Luvanmusiq Tour.

She was unimpressive to say the least.
    She's got Billie Holliday written all over her.
    She's gonna have to shake that quick.

I was a bit disappointed. She sings everything the same way...
    And her set was only like 12 minutes long.
    test
  16. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

Anybody hear the Deborah Cox album of Dinah Washington covers?
    test
  17. Teen Prodigy

My friend saw her open for music when they were hear in Toronto, and he came away impressed. I agree with you on the billie holiday thing, and it irks me as well when I listen to the album.

I even heard a little bit of ella fitzgerald on some tracks.

There is a video on Youtube of Chrisette singing on of Badu's songs, and the fact that she was able to replicate Badu's sound and tone so closely was a little bit scary, and not in a good way.

I still love the album though, those qualms aside.
    test
  18. Ixtlan

TP can you find that link for me?
    I'd like to check that...
    test
  19. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

I don't love the album... I like it. It's a worthy first effort, flawed but rewarding in some aspects.

She has a tendency to oversing, but the sound of her voice is sooo pleasing to the ear that this tendency can be forgiven sometimes. I just love the way she sings, "let's rock." My favorite song is actually the lead track, "Like a Dream." I also dig "Let's Rock," "Your Joy," "Good Girl," and "That's the Way Love Feels."

I would've sequenced the album differently, but that's only a minor beef because the flow isn't bad. Her writing can be better. I didn't particularly care for the luxury car reference: "I'ma push my Lexus to the mall" nor the legendary female vocalists name-dropping: "I've been studying Ms. Billie, Ms. Ella, Ms. Sarah Vaughn and Natalie Cole." And why did Wil.liam decide to rap? God, he's awful.

Musically, the only thing "jazzy" about Chrisette Michelle is her vocal style, at times... because sonically, she sticks to the sound of contemporary R&B and hip hop.

She has the potential to be really great, especially if she continues to find her own identity, grow as a writer and expand her musical palette.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.
    test
  20. Ixtlan

Isn't that true of most of Billie's students though?

They reframe her vocals in a more contemporary context...
    Who's doing Billie from a Jazz discipline? Maybe E. Badu in the early going, but as time has gone on she's a much bigger student of Chaka than she ever was of Billie...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.