For those "in Christ" or who have a fetish for punishment

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by M-theory, Jan 9, 2014.

1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I invite you to join me in memorizing a book of the Bible (choose your own book). My own mission is to commit the Gospel of Mark to memory, which is the most important gospel as far as my personal opinion goes (and probably the most boring).

If I can get a verse by verse reading of at least one whole book into my long term memory, and have each verse tied to its corresponding scripture reference (verse number) I think I can say I've accomplished quite a feat most don't embark on.

So if you have the balls, pick a book and join me. I'm not asking you to give updates of your progress on the forum or anything so have no fear.

But if you do choose to give it a shot, let us know what book you'll be doing.
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Im wit it.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Are you going for Mark as well? Or haven't decided?

I'm *trying out* the site http://www.scripturetyper.com as one tool but not sure of its effectiveness. It's a wait and see. I'll get it done even if I use no tools (except a bible) anyway.

Also, I'm memorizing from the NASB. Is that legal? lol ... maybe the ASV would make more sense seeing as it's public domain. hmmm or the WEB since it's new, but i'm not sure of its quality, just that they say it's based off the ASV.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    test
  4. TheBigPayback

Im down to do mark with u.
    no homo.
    test
  5. TheBigPayback

When u planning on starting?
    While were reading im going to be doing some im depth studies on whatever book we do. if its mark or whatever. and we can discuss it a bit as well
    test
  6. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I started Thursday, man.

First I read the first chapter. I'm breaking it into small segments.

Mark 1
    1-3, I did on Thursday.
    4-5, Friday.
    6-8, I just started after reviewing verses 4-5 on ScriptureTyper.

I can literally type out 1-5 word for word, knowing where each verse begins and ends. I've written it out in reverse from verse 5 back to verse 1 as well. It's still a bit rough knowing where to start if I just pick a random verse of the five, I have to think of those first words, sometimes having to backtrack to the verse before it to know where to start.

My oral performance isn't quite up to par yet as I haven't been practicing speaking. I think this will be an important step sooner rather than later.

ScriptureTyper is useful to get a foot in the verses you want to practice if you want (it's makes it fun too), but once you have that I've found that just writing down the verses several times a day really helps get you familiarized.

EDIT: Also it's important to write/recite the verse number so you know where each verse begins and ends.
    test
  7. TheBigPayback

Ok ill start monday. been a little busy.
    interested in your thoughts along the way when u got time.

ya speaking it outloud or just hearing it spoken vocally helps a lot in memorization.

I have a lot of the bible in memory this way
    test
  8. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i'm curious what motivates you to do this (@ memento). not that there's anything wrong with it, i'm just wondering what incentive a non-christian (i think?) has to memorize a gospel.
    test
  9. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i have questions regarding this thread too.

does this mean you have a fetish for punishment, memento?

:numaan:
    test
  10. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

Jesus is my homie, and I do like a bit of the pinch and squeel now and then.

Very well, I'll take to memorizing the Gospel of Mary.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test