For biceps.....barbell curl vs. dumbells

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R-Tistic, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

Hrmmmm.....what kinda lifts are you doing with them..

Are you lifting heavy with low reps, ie 8 reps......or what?

I was always taught, to tone the muscle.....go lower weight with high reps, ie 15-20....5 sets...try that.

You also want to isolate the muscle....don't allow it to be the secondary muscle in action. Yeh that's good, but try really really isolating it.
    test
  2. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

hey rtistic,
    got a pic. so we can see. might help in figuring out what to do for you as well?

sometimes people underestimate themselves when it comes to weight training.
    2 examples for myself have been my own strength. i use to keep my leg presses around like 360 or so. messed around one day and took that shit up to 900 lbs
    another time i was doing shoulder presses on the machine and i took it up to like 220. when i kept the weight down around like 150 or so.
    also another thing that can help is just doing exercises without the weights. opening and closing your hand palm up without the weight and curling your wrist back. later can be adopted and used with a dumbbell as well.
    reverse it palm down and just curl your wrist up.

i know something else that does suck about gyms is there are no forearm focused equipment. nautilus use to have one that you could do wrist curls and extensions on and also work your grip. i think the weight went up to like 200 i forget it's been so long. i loved that machine.
    test
  3. oaktownru

oaktownru the illest oaktownru

go go preacher curls
    test
  4. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

Hell no.
    test
  5. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

r curls and pull-ups the only ways to work ur biceps?
    test
  6. khmerwunder

khmerwunder New Member

Depends on genes, form etc..... I like to mix it up, incline dumbell where you can't swing the weight or cheat, preacher burls, barbell curls, concentration dumbells. FOR ME to build mass I like to use barbell because you don't have to balance the weight with seperate hands so you can "stack more weight". However I could see how you'd want to use dbells to get mass. Mix it up, measure your arms to see final results.
    test
  7. pantherdef

pantherdef New Member

Dunpeal knows his ish.. I have my students start out with dumbells to work on their stabilizers. Once that occurs, your weight goes through the roof on the bar.

Pesonally, I don't even hit the bar no more. The dumbells do it all for me.

But for biceps, did anybody suggest preacher curls? Isolation lifting can be the truth.
    test
  8. Neek Kayo

Neek Kayo New Member

ok ok ill try
    test
  9. Butfuklo

Butfuklo New Member

I like to do 3 sets of 8 reps with 40 lb. dumbells of Zotman curls.
    Then I do 3 sets of 21s with 25lb. plates on a barbell. These are very effective when done properly, and done after a chest workout.
    test
  10. Butfuklo

Butfuklo New Member

Incline curls are fukin crazy, I love them and hate them so much at the same time. They burn like hell but are real effective.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.