For biceps.....barbell curl vs. dumbells

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R-Tistic, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I have used both, but since I started to lift back in 8th grade (98), I usually spend most of my time curling dumbells for whatever reason. However, I have seen many people at the gym do the barbell curl. I have tried it a few times, and for some reason, it just feels akward to me, and I don't seem to feel as comfortable with it.

Do these two exercises target different areas in your arms, and should you do both equally, or does it matter if you do one more than the other?
    test
  2. Snizzer

Snizzer New Member

Do whats comfortable to you. Check out this site http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
    and try out other exercises you feel comfortable with. I dont do barbell curls either but i do preacher curls with the E/Z Bar and for me it works better than barbell curls.
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

I prefer barbell. Just feels better to me, and it takes less time because instead of lifting one with the right, then one with the left, one with the right, left, etc, you just do them both together which ends up taking less time.
    test
  4. R-Tistic

Do y'all think it matters what angle you use, or what position your arms end up in when you use the barbell? I saw some techniques on that bodybuilding website, and they had some techniques where your hands would end up outside of your shoulders, and some where they would end up inside.
    test
  5. Ben Official

yep, targets slightly different muscles
    test
  6. Ben Official

its like a close grip bench vs a regular grip
    test
  7. C.G.

C.G. C.G. Productionz

i duno if this helps but i do dumbell curls till i get towards where im about to move up to a new eight, then i go to barbell curls so oth of my arms ease into the new weight and come in at the same strength. otherwise i find my left arm fallin behind by a rep or 2
    test
  8. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Just think about it when you're doing reps. Think if you're gripping harder with one hand, or flexing harder with one arm. You'd be suprised, how often that's whats going on.

Barbells>>>>> Anything else.
    test
  9. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

I think a closer grip will build a peak and a wider grip will build more of a mass on your biceps...could have that backwards tho

but as far as the topic, when I'm in the gym I work with a barbell the whole time. The only time I don't use one is for fly's and pull-ups
    test
  10. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Close grip hits the peaks, but wide grip hit's the outside more. Building mass depends on going heavy and hitting from as many angles as possible. And also hitting those triceps the same way. You shuould really do others besides the bar man.Those ones on an incline bench with dumbells. Hammer curls. Cable curls. And if you can get your hands on some chains, boy those things are the shit. That doubles your options with a barbell.
    test
  11. LeKCheR

LeKCheR Active Member

Use both because using different things invites new growth
    test
  12. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

barbell puts overall strength and size to your biceps...while the dumbells help shape it.

I perfer barbell and ex curl bars...my favorite is doing preacher curls....and then finishing off with concentration curls leaning back on a bench.
    test
  13. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Is there a difference in weight distribution between barbells and dumbell curls?
    Because I can curl 135lbs with a barbell but can even get close to curling 65lb dumbells.
    test
  14. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I mainly fuck with the barbell, wide and close grip. I know I'm hitting more muscles, as I'm not a huge fan of isolation lifting.
    test
  15. XxLiLBuRnAxX

XxLiLBuRnAxX Prolly smarter than you

Not to bump aging threads but seriously is there a different in weight distrubution between barbells and dumbells? Or am I just lifting dumbells improperly? This is a question that's been nagging me for awhile now.
    test
  16. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

Here's the deal...with freeweights, you engage your stabilizer muscles in the targeted zone.

If the the weight secured, then it's less work all a round.

That's why you see people doing chest work with dumbells.

Preacher curls are horrible. Gonna hurt yourself unless you're careful.

As for people asking about if your direct the dumbell in different position, does it hit more muscles. Yes, yes it does.

I curl dumbells in both hands at the same time, flat grip. Then I curl on a machine, and as I bring the weight up, I slowly direct both my arms out to the side, I will do that for 4 sets. Then I'll do 4 more sets, although in these, my hands/arms slowly come inward towards the end of the lift.

All those are flat grips. Then I move to a different machine and hook up a V bar and do 4 sets with my hands on one side and 4 sets with my hands positioned on the other side of it.

When lifting, you can hit all different areas of random muscles simply by adding some extra movement/direction into the lift. The way in which your hands are placed on the weight. etc etc.

Make sure you know what you're doing though, before you add variables to your workout.

Peace.
    test
  17. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

also try lifting palm down. that works the brachioradialis on the outside of the forearm, and the brachialias are the main muscles worked in palm down.
    test
  18. Dunpeal

Dunpeal Graying men, mmm

I HATE forearms hahaha......they get the most sore and are akward as hell haha.
    test
  19. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

lol, yea that shit will get you man. mess around and have trouble picking up shit.
    test
  20. R-Tistic

My forearms aren't about shit....regardless of what I do, they don't get bigger, and don't get toned at all.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.