Finally saw Hotel Rwanda

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by The Jeus, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

definitely the best film i've seen this year, and one of the more affecting ones i've seen ever. great performances all around. the direction was erratic at times, but overall it was completely on point.

i take back everything i said about not liking don cheadle, he completely dominated this movie by himself.
    test
  2. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

wrd

i haven't seen this yet, but i know i like don cheadle

go see "rebound: the legend of earl 'the goat' manigault"... i doubt know if rental places carry it, but i found it at circuit city for $6.99.
    test
  3. K-Skills

K-Skills Mr.Skills

Yeah going pick that up today .
    test
  4. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

did cheadle play manigault? i remember seeing the beginning of that a while back, but that was a while back.

everyone go pick up hotel rwanda. it's not the kind of movie you'll watch over and over again, but it definitely will affect anyone with a conscience
    test
  5. jweaksfromdapike

jweaksfromdapike The Pain and the Poetry

i watched it expecting it to live up to the hype surrounding it...but it did not for me...i felt that like it was too hollywood for the story being told....it seemed as if the makers of this wanted to wrap it up within 2 hours with a nice lil bow at the end.....and they were holding back if you ask me....not staying true to the story.....in the movie it was portrayed as not being as bad as i know it really was...1 million people died in 3 months...but the movie seemed a bit tame for that to be true..this is a moving and emotional story..and i think it should have been told to its full effect....more violence that was shown...if it runs long..it runs long....and i just felt like some facts were left out...or side stories that should have been told to help us understand more what was going on...and as for the acting..i absolutely love don cheadle..he is one of the best actors out there..but i believe this movie he didnt do his best work..it was a mediocre performance for me....really the whole movie was just mediocre in my opinion.....if they had stayed more honest to the story then wanting to fit into that hollywood mold this would have been a more powerful film...
    test
  6. FukkedUPKidR

FukkedUPKidR Guest

it was very good. the 3 different scenes from when don cheadle is serving the drink to the un peacekeeper, the rain, and then the talk with his wife... those were all very powerful for me.
    test
  7. Vince Vaughn

Vince Vaughn New Member

i bought and watched it today...it wasn't as moving as it thought it'd be when seeing the trailors, but it was still a good movie.

cheadle owns and it was funny to see nolte in a movie again.
    test
  8. INKonspikuouz

INKonspikuouz An sclábhaí na Éirinn

the movie did stay true to the story. the story wasn't about the genocide. it was about a hotel manager who let tutsi's stay at his hotel.

Hotel Rwanda is not about Rwanda. It says nothing about the Rwandan genocide, nor does it tell us anything about the Rwandan people. It doesn't tell us why they started killing each other, who the RPF or Interhawme are, where they come from, how their histories brought them to that point in 1994, and why. It doesn't go into the details of who was in power, how they got there, and what the different sides are fighting for. It basically doesn't go into anything at all except the fact that there are people on a murdering rampage who want to execute members of another group.

In that respect, it's not a great movie. It's a sentimental tear-jerker told by a Hollywood director with A-list actors vying for Oscars. There was nothing great about it, unless you enjoy watching people hacking each other to death for a reason the movie hints at but doesn't say. The only thing people can relate to, and the reason critics have gotten behind this film (besides the guilt) and called it great, is that it is a human story; it's the story of a father trying to save his family. We love our heroes, and he's just another one to immortalize. Albeit, with a horrible accent.

It has all the elements a great Hollywood blockbuster should have: bad guys, good guys, tension, humor, anger, love, helplessness, victory. But that's all it is, a Hollywood movie.
    test
  9. AGENTSPITS

AGENTSPITS Got A BJ From AVA DEVINE!

i just saw this movie today

it kinda dragged on a little but i enjoyed the movie overall
    test
  10. mama21

mama21 panama-red@blackplanet

i just got it yesterday, didn't watch it but i'll try tonight..
    test
  11. !ron HorSe

!ron HorSe New Member

I want to see this.
    test
  12. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

here's what I think... I think it did well telling the story of this man and his family, and qwhat he did to help these other people, and I thought the acting was great, right on point... But, I think in focusing so much on the family, they neglected the horrors that actually was the Rwandan massacre... Should have gone for the "R" rating and told it like it was, could've rivaled Schindler's List if they did that, but still a good movie...
    test
  13. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

yeah, but it wasn't a film about the massacre, it was about how this man dealt with it, and on that level it succeeded very well. as roger ebert says "it's not what a film's about, but how it's about what it's about"
    test
  14. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

^^^yeah, but I think that it would've served better to address the massacre, which was more important on a much grander scale, but you are right, it did well with what it did...
    test
  15. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

test
  16. Pyro Tecknik

Pyro Tecknik Harbinger of DOOM

very nicely put.

i agree. i didn't like how it jumped into it, almost expecting us to know the who/what/where and whys.

except, i understood that that wasn't the premise of the film. Otherwise i'd be seeing it on the History channel instead. so as far as the movie itself is concerned...i enjoyed it.
    test
  17. chodeface

chodeface i charge $5 a BLOW

a movie that makes you think and grit your teeth as the rebels close in on his scheme. the part where he breaks down while putting on his tie, oscar worthy....a great overall movie.
    test
  18. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

it was a good movie.,...i dnt think it was great. cheadle was amazing but i wish they wuldve shown more of the atrocities instead of jus mentioning them, i think that would of made it more powerful...

for some reason it kept making me want to see city of god.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.