"Fighting Fedor" Reality Series.. -Update-

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by NOBLE SOLDIER, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On Thursday at a press conference at Trump Tower in New York City, Affliction Entertainment announced a partnership with M-1 Global to produce "Fighting Fedor," a new reality show featuring famed heavyweight Russian fighter Fedor Emelianenko.

Trump Enterprises, led by business mogul and Affliction executive Donald Trump, is also supporting the program.

"Fighting Fedor" will feature 16 heavyweight fighters competing in a tournament format. The talent, culled from around the world, will arrive at the Red Devil camp in St. Peterburg, Russia, for the competition until one winner emerges.

However, though company executives say they're in negotiations with a variety of potential American broadcast partners, few details about the reality show were revealed. The recruitment of fighters has begun, but no debut date has been determined.

M-1 first teased the possibility of the "Fighting Fedor" series back in February. However, the organization only recently launched plans to penetrate the U.S. market and likely held off on producing the series until the partnership with Affliction was forged. Like Emelianenko himself, the organization is still trying to gain some traction in the U.S.

The winner of the reality series will fight Emelianenko, the current World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight champion and No. 1 ranked heavyweight fighter, on a future Affliction card. However, the series could lose some of its luster if Emelianenko suffers a defeat on Jan. 24, when the Russian is expected to fight Andrei Arlovski (or possibly Josh Barnett) in Anaheim, Calif. (Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio, who's already been forced to postpone the "Day of Reckoning" card once before, will only say the event will take place in the first quarter of 2009.)

During Thursday's press conference, Affliction also announced Emelianenko had been signed to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Update

The show, launched by Affliction Entertainment with M-1 Global (and Affliction executive and Trump Enterprises' Donald Trump), will feature a 16-man tournament with the winner getting the opportunity to fight Fedor Emelianenko on a future Affliction card.

At a Thursday press conference in New York City, Affliction and M-1 representatives said that no broadcast partner has been secured. However, they're focusing on deals that will bring the series to American audiences.

The show's organizers today confirmed additional details of the series:

The show begins filming in April 2009, and 15 episodes will be produced. The series will be taped in St. Petersburg, Russia, which is home to Emelianenko's Red Devil club.
    Based on the production schedule, the earliest possible debut date for the series will be June 2009.
    Emelianenko will be part of the group that screens potential contestants; their decisions will be based on the "athletic ability... character and marketability" of each fighter, according to today's press release.
    The fighters will be recruited from all over the world.
    In order to produce the series, Affliction and M-1 have renewed an existing partnership. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    Trump, who's had success with his own reality series, "The Apprentice," will be in Russia for portions of the taping.
    Emelianenko, the current World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight champion and top-ranked heavyweight fighter, is expected to next fight in January at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning." Although the organization has made no formal announcement, Emelianenko is expected to fight Andrei Arlovski on Jan. 24.

It's unknown how an Emelianenko loss would affect the reality series.
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I was just about to post this.

Crazy shit.
    test
  3. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I know this isn't the real news story here, but I wonder how this affects Randy Couture. I'm sure Dana still thinks Affliction is going down and all, but what he's said has not deterred Fedor's mindset of continuing relations with them past the last deal.

Obviously I don't think Randy's gonna pull out on Dana or anything, but what happens once once fulfills his contract?
    test
  4. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

i think its all hype anymore...... they will never fight
    test
  5. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

test
  6. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

Unless Affliction goes bankrupt.

Even then, maybe not.