Few questions about beat programs and monitors

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by Tech-Omega, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech-Omega

Tech-Omega New Member

Currently I'm running FL 9/Adobe along side using my mpd 32 and some reg desktop speakers. A user on the boards suggested working on using other programs, but I'm on a limited budget (so inless these programs can run on windows XP for the time being I'm not going to get them).

What are some good programs worth checking out? and list me reasons why they would improve upon already using FL.

Also, as I stated earlier I'm using desktop speakers. I've been having an re-occuring issue! one being mixdowns (usually perform those in my head phones) and my bass sounding different in my beats. When I say my bass sounds different..when I listen in my head phones it sounds good/car stereo fine....but on subs or comp speakers it sounds very different. I know this issue lies in monitors, but why is that so? and also what would be a decent pair to get (I'll probably buy them from guitar center)

any information you guys have is greatly appreciated. I'm going to leave a link below for an idea of 1 of my beats to better help the response of anyone who replies (give them a gen idea of my material/quality/etc)

test
  2. 7thHorseMen

7thHorseMen New Member

Even with expensive monitors, sometime the bass can be off if you don't know how to mix it.

I've been told by rule of thumb you should put a limiter on the bass just so it would be distorting but I'm no engineer.

I would say get Ableton live or Cubase simply because of the rewire. You could use those programs hand in hand with FL.

Alesis Monitor 1 are some decent sounding monitor under 500

also I know alot of people that got those KRK ones, I don't know the exact model but look into that.

I hope lead you in the right direction bro.
    test
  3. zeeofafbllc

zeeofafbllc New Member

Ableton and cubase are both super dope programs that are windows compatible! Ive used ableton. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine.

In reference to your speakers, I highly recommend a pair of monitors. I haven't used them but alot of ppl swear by The yamaha hsm 80s. Ultimately I would say go guitar center and listen for yourself to see what sounds good. Search for a monitor with a "flat" response that doesn't do a lot of coloring of frequencies or give that "smiley face effect" Monitors will change the game for you even if you don't know how to mix. I can attest this personally.
    test
  4. Tech-Omega

Tech-Omega New Member

Bet! Really appreciate the heads up guys. I was just at guitar center pricing and checking out some of the monitors. I'm going to look into the yamaha brand for sure. I like most of their products and feel they offer quality.

As for the programs I'm going to try Cubase. I wanted to fuck with Reason, but I def don't have the computer space for Adobe, Reason, Cube, and FL lol that's not going to work until I get a seperate drive to back up my material.

appreciate the heads up on everything.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.