Female Vocalists.

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Ixtlan, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Says the guy who heralds Keys a great singer.
    test
  2. Ixtlan

No I don't. Thanks for playing though.
    test
  3. X sample

X sample New Member

exactly..
    test
  4. runofthejamill

runofthejamill or not.

Mary J has a different kind of voice, not the same as every other young female artist out there, her voice is gritty and real, it doesnt make her any less talented. She sings within her range, and not in way that makes her sound out of tune.

As to the topic, in an ideal world, the voices such as monica, india, faith, sushine anderson out there should be able to survive on ability and good production alone, without throwing in all the naked flesh etc...but who said we live in an ideal world???
    test
  5. Teen Prodigy

Teen Prodigy Short2003's e-child

I don't want to make any long, analytical post.. but I'm inclined to agree more with Xtlan than anyone else in this thread.

Alicia can sing, but as far as female vocalists go, she's not in the upper tier.. by ANY means. Half the people mentioned in this thread are all better vocalists than Alicia Keys: Deborah Cox, Tamia ( without a doubt) Kelly Price.. even Christina Aguleria has better range and is an overall more versatile vocalist.

If we're talking about artists of the last 15 years ( so we're excluding people liked Natalie Cole and Patty Labelle etc), suppose, just for argument's sake, that Deborah Cox is as close to as good as it gets. Somwhere in the middle you will find Alicia Keys.. and at the bottom you will find the likes of Ashanti, Spears, Ciara.. etc.

If we're looking at the epitome of talent, from an all around standpoint.. I think Lauryn Hill's combination of vocal ability, song writing ability, musical ability as far as being able to play two or more instruments (and we don't even need to mention the fact that she is as talented a female MC as there has ever been), she is far and away the most talented of any artist from 1994-present. There are a lot of parallels between Keys and Hill...what Alicia Keys is now, is almost exactly what Lauryn Hill was in 99... and although I know Lauryn didn't write all the material on her 'miseducation of Lauryn Hill' album... her song writing ability, as evidence by her subsequent albums (MTV unplugged 2.0) put her a clear eminance above Alicia Keys... so, that's all for that.
    test
  6. Teen Prodigy

If anything, that's one of Mary's draw backs. Too often she doesn't sing within her range and does runs all over the place.
    test
  7. Duro-Lace

Duro-Lace New Member

I mainly listen to old school RnB, Aretha, Patti, Gladys, and when I hear these new artist I measure there talent according to the old school greats...Alicia keys is average at best...I agree, her voice isn't strong enough for me...She tries to hard at times. Fantasia is amazing, how could anyone deny her? no idea, young bucks...fantasia reminds me of a young Aretha...glad to have someone like her around these days. Mary J is one of the greats in our generation, very strong old soul voice...love her. Kelly price was great aswell, but she's been M.I.A. for awhile now...
    test
  8. Sidneh Bihar

Sidneh Bihar New Member

lil mo is good but her only good album was the first
    test
  9. Ixtlan

I don't think I've ever agreed with anyone more here at RM.

I'd throw India.Arie's name in that discussion though.
    I think talent wise she's right there with Hill.
    She doesn't have anything remotely close to "Miseducation", but talent-wise that girl's a beast.

Though I will have to knock Hill on her string skills.
    She's a painfully average guitarist.

I do think if she ever committed to a Rap career she'd be the best femcee to ever touch a microphone. Hopefully we'll see Hill return to "Miseducation" form. While I loved the Unplugged album I don't know that I could stomach another project like that.
    test
  10. Teen Prodigy

All true. India is on the same level, true.

As far as the MTV Unplugged album; I like it for the intimacy it creates and for the amount of pure knowledge you can take from the album even aside from just the music. I think the qualms most people have with the album come from the fact that they believe the fundamental Christianity she preaches on the album is a little too much for some to take. It's an interesting listening experience though.
    test
  11. Ixtlan

Absolutely... Matter's fact, I need to find out where my disc went to.
    test
  12. -[InfaMouz]-

-[InfaMouz]- || M.Maestro ||

Yeah, and do you see the size of her mouth? You know that chick can sing.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.