Fedor wants Overeem drug tested for fight to happen

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Sabbath, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

Fedor Emelianenko has never turned down a fight and he isn't about to start now. However, if the Russian is to ever face Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, there better be a strict pre-fight drug testing plan in place.

M-1 Global's Apy Echtfeld, the company that manages MMA's best heavyweight, recently told Mixfight.nl that Fedor would only throw down with Overeem if he passed a third-party administered drug screening prior to gametime.

This is uncharted territory of MMA as nobody has ever made such a request. Normally, the only reason a contestant would ask for their opponent to be checked prior to a bout is if they were unsure if that fighter was clean.

Although he has never tested positive for anything, there's no question that Overeem's "physique" has changed significantly since his days of competing in PrideFC's talent-filled light heavyweight division just five years ago.

Today, Overeem looks like a super-human comic book character which has caused many to question how he got so ginormous. Most have speculated that Overeem fled for Japan after capturing the Strikeforce crown because there is no athletic commission to directly oversee the drug testing process, making it much easier to present a clean sample.

Overeem hasn't been back to the U.S. since defeating Paul Buentello in November 2007 to become Strikeforce's only heavyweight title holder.

Overeem stated last month that he really wants to fight Fedor by the end of this year. If that's the case, he would likely have to give in to Emelianenko's demands, especially if the scrap takes place in the Orient.

Does Fedor have the right to request that his opponent succumb to a pre-fight drug test that is above and beyond what the athletic commissions typically require?

For now, Fedor has a date with Fabricio Werdum for a Strikeforce show in May.

- fightline
    test
  2. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

So how does this work? Will he get labeled a bitch like my boy Floyd did for requesting the same of Pacman?
    test
  3. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

So there won't be a Fedor Overeem fight?
    test
  4. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

i was about to say. how niggaz gonna get mad a nigga want an even playing field?
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

It's a bit different.

Overreem obviously got beaten by the roid stick.

Pacman would've complied with every other drug test, and has in every fight. Standard boxing drug-testing is already near the most strict in all of sports. International MMA? Not so much...
    test
  6. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Ubereem doesn't have to worry about getting roid tested in Japan
    test
  7. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

not exactly. i box pro & train with pro & amateur boxers & its pretty much agreed that standard testing is a joke. not everything comes up in urine & if you do take something you can cycle when you know which dates you'll be tested. if its the most strict of every sport, then that just means the other sports are in a whole lot of trouble.

most experts agree random blood tests are the most strict. boxing won't implement them as mandatory tho because of the cost.
    test
  8. .:Pain:.

Pacman agreed to post fight, pre fight, and weigh-in urinalysis.

You really can't get much more than that.

The thing is, he didn't agree to the blood test because he had done one before, passed it, but felt exhausted the next day, and ended up losing that fight (which he won in a rematch in dominate fashion).

How much of that is true is beyond me, but I'll take the man at his word, and because of the fact that he's taken to so many tests and passed them all.

Also, I think championship level boxers probably have a much more strict drug-test system than just journeymen and up-and-comers...
    test
  9. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

That defeats the purpose of random then, yes? & random is the most fool-proof way, according to the experts.

I also don't believe him when he uses it as an excuse for losing to Morales. He's known for having stupid excuses. Remember the "wrong socks" after JMM1? But I have no proof he's making it up, so I wont hold it against him.

We, lesser fighters, take the same tests as elite fighters. Theirs just might go under more scrutiny & they may get tested more often.

But right now I train under the Mayweather camp (not with floyd or anything but as a trainer for their amateur fighters like Anthony Sims Jr.). I also have worked with Mosley, Corrales, Robert Guerrero & all parties have made mention of current testing being a joke.
    test
  10. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

Also he did agree to the blood test. He just didn't want it to be random. He wanted to know when the tests would happen & that defeats the purpose.
    test
  11. .:Pain:.

Well of course it is.

But if you think any organization or union will agree to that and make it mandatory, then you live in la-la land. A lot of fighters/athletes would probably agree, but would probably get black-balled by the other athletes because it would set a trend, making it okay to random drug-test.

Fair enough, some inside info on what fighters REALLY think is always appreciated.

I'm not up on the particulars of blood-testing, but isn't impossible to mask a blood test?

Also, don't the drugs stay in your blood at detectable levels for FAR longer than urinalysis?

Not quite sure, and some clarification would be appreciated...
    test
  12. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

I dont know the scientifics. I just train/ fight/ & teach younger fighters how to train/fight.

But experts in the field have said random blood is more positive than pre-set dates of urine tests (which is what it is right now). So i gotta go by that. If the majority of experts came out & said "The boxing testing that is being used right now it the best we can do" then i'll tell Roger personally to stop talking on the subject. But right now they agree it could be better & should be better.
    test
  13. .:Pain:.

^Fair enough...
    test
  14. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

The point is Overeem is a roid created monster
    test
  15. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Basically.
    test
  16. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

pacman just took a test what.. 20 days before his fight with clottey? mayweather asked for 14 days before the fight..

that was really serious enough to cancel a fight that would've made not only them but many other people MILLIONS more then this clottey fight.. all because of 6 days? really? fuck that pacman is a bitch, plain an simple, floyd aint do nothin wrong, especially when hes gonna get tested to, thats what blows me away they BOTH get tested at the SAME time

and im a pacman fan as much as a mayweather fan, but u gotta draw the line

lets see how this overeem/fedor plays out now
    test
  17. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Gotta completely disagree with you. How the fuck does Mayweather feel he is so much bigger than the sport where he can make demands to a boxer that brings in just as many buys (IF NOT MORE) to the sport.

As a fuckin' man.... You ain't just gonna sit there and get regulated by another man just because he wants testing 14 days before and random testing up until the day of the fight. That's nonsense. The boxing commission's regulations have had that style of blood testing for how long for Mayweather to just try to switch up? FUCK NO. Mayweather came off the bitch in this. It can work either way.... IT'S JUST 6 DAYS. Let him do the 21 day blood testing.

I think Pac woulda beat him anyway. I doubt Pacqiao was scared. If anything, it's been Mayweather that's ducked fighters (Clottey, Mosely, Margarito, and now even Pacqiao). Check the history... Who has Pacqiao ducked?
    test
  18. Sabbath

Sabbath Regicidal

When you look at Overeem's past physique and record compared to his current, it's very logical to wonder if the man's on something.

Pacquiao... not so much. Floyd's a bitch and is known for conveniently avoiding opponents. He's also one of the greatest boxers of all time, but the man is scared to death of taking a loss.
    test
  19. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

you act like hes asking him to suck his dick, or as if mayweather isnt taking the test either. if someone is even gonna question your use of a form of steroids indirectly and you dont use them why not just prove him wrong and then whip his ass if your confident you'd win? it makes no sense, were talking MILLIONS OF DOLLARS more then he'd make anywhere else.. is it really that serious that he'd turn away from millions and possibly a fight that could be considered as one of the biggest in boxing history, all because you dont want a man to "tell you what you should do"

fuck outta here

give me that mayweather fight money you can poke my arm with a needle everyday up to the fight

you can say pacman hasnt ducked anyone and mayweather has, but now pacquaio has 1 fighter on his list that he's ducked because of some insignificant excuse, mayweather

period
    test
  20. R3flex

R3flex Smackin Ya Manses

You don't know much about the sport, that's obvious. Judging by your posts in here, you're more of a mma guy. That's cool. But i'll inform you of some facts.

BOB ARUM, PACQUIAO'S OWN PROMOTER, allowed Team Mayweather to make a demand. They gave Pacquiao the right to make a demand & he made the 10 million per pound demand. Mayweather agreed to it. Then BOB ARUM, PACQUIAO'S OWN PROMOTER, told Team Mayweather to make their demand. They said "We'll both take random blood tests up to a few days before the fight."

Arum said it shouldn't be a problem but he had to run it by Team Pacquiao. Golden Boy's negotiator & Top Rank's negotiator put both demands in the contract & Arum took that contract to Pacquiao's team. The team said no. They wanted 30 days.

Even though Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's own trainer, went on record saying all they need is a 5 day window.

Even though Manny Pacquiao himself said he's fine with any test as long as it isn't administered the day before the fight.

Team Pacquiao wanted 30 days.

Team Mayweather said that's too long. You want 30 days, we want the day before the fight...Let's cut it in half & do 14 days. Right in the middle.

Team Pacquiao said we'll only budge from 30 to 24. & they gave like 3 or 4 different reasons why. Saying Manny is superstitious, it'll weaken him (although all experts say 14 days is more than enough time to recuperate), they'll only do what the commission says (even tho Arum & Top Rank were the ones who told Mayweather to make a demand).

These are the facts. Point blank period.

As far as ducking opponents, first throw Clottey off your list. Clottey was never in any type of contention to ever EVER get into the ring with Mayweather. Unless he beats Pacquiao, Clottey hasn't earned the right to fight Mayweather. He hasn't even earned the right to fight Pacquiao, but he's a Top Rank guy & Pacquiao needed an opponent. So he got it. Cool. Margarito people could make a point for. Although true boxing fans knew Margarito was shit as a fighter & shouldn't be mentioned in te same breath as Mayweather. & lo & behold, he got stomped without his bricks. Mayweather been calling out Mosley since 10 years ago. Mosley didn't need him to make the money. Now he does need Mayweather & Mayweather told him to fuck off just like Mosley told him 10 years ago. & don't fool yourself. Mayweather brings in more money than Pacquiao. Against common opponents, Mayweather's PPV numbers destroys Pacquiao's. Even HBO agree Mayweather is the cash cow of the sport.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.