February 2012 Combat Sports (upcoming events, streams, results, and the daily mill)

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by Makabreli, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMAc Sabbath

MDMAc Sabbath one of #THEM

Darren Elkins Faces Off With Diego Brandao At UFC 146

Holy fight announcements batman. The UFC announced no less than five bouts for UFC 146 in Vegas last night, and BE has brought you four of them so far. Here's the fifth. TUF 14 winner Diego Brandao faces a stiff test in his first "real" UFC bout when he meets Darren Elkins on May 26th. How good is this card looking so far?

Elkins (13-2) started out his UFC career as a lightweight, but dropped to 145 after a quick submission loss to Charles Oliveira at UFC on Versus 2. He has looked impressive at featherweight so far, picking up a pair of decision wins over Michihiro Omigawa and Tiequan Zhang.

Brandao, a Team Jackson fighter, finished every one of his opponents on his way to winning The Ultimate Fighter 14. His fight against Dennis Bermudez at the TUF 14 finale was a classic, which saw him come back from some early trouble to pick up a submission win with just nine seconds left in the first round. He also picked up two bonuses totaling $80,000 for the win.

Here's a look at the current UFC 146 card after last night's announcement firestorm:

Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem*
    Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham
    Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig
    C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason Miller
    Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann
    Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Shane del Rosario
    Glover Teixeira vs. Kyle Kingsbury
    Darren Elkins vs. Diego Brandao

*Hasn't been officially confirmed by UFC yet
    test
  2. MDMAc Sabbath

Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Shane Del Rosario Added To UFC 146

The UFC 146 card is coming together nicely, and you can add a solid heavyweight fight to the quickly-expanding list of fights scheduled for May 26th in Las Vegas. Former UFC heavyweight title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga will face the undefeated Shane Del Rosario, formerly of Strikeforce. The news was passed along late tonight by the official source for fight announcements, UFC.com.

Gonzaga returned to the the big time at UFC 142 after a 14 month absence and defeated top prospect Ednaldo Oliveira by submission. He is well-known to UFC fans for his head-kick knockout of Mirko Cro Cop at UFC 70 in 2007, and his unsuccessful attempt at taking the UFC heavyweight title from Randy Couture at UFC 74. Consecutive losses to Junior dos Santos and Brendan Schaub in 2010 led to his release from the company and subsequent retirement, but he returned a year later with a minor league win and got back into the UFC as a late replacement for Rob Broughton.

Del Rosario worked his way up through EliteXC, M-1, and Strikeforce, eventually racking up an 11-0 record with 11 finishes. He was scheduled to face Daniel Cormier last June, but was involved in a serious car accident that has sidelined him until now.

The bout will likely take place on the preliminary card.
    test
  3. MDMAc Sabbath

Bristol Marunde Steps In to Face Jacare Souza At Strikeforce: Tate Vs. Rousey

With Derek Brunson failing his medicals yesterday due to not meeting the minimum eyesight requirements spelled out by the Ohio Athletic Commission, Strikeforce had to find a replacement to face Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza as soon as possible. And they've found one in IFL veteran and current SCC middleweight champion Bristol Marunde (15-6). Scott Coker confirmed it earlier, and Marunde tweeted about it a little while ago:

@BristolMarunde
    Bristol Marunde Its public, I'm fighting Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza on Showtime in Strikeforce! Looking forward to a tough fight!
    Feb 22 via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

The 29-year-old Marunde is currently on a four-fight winning streak and holds wins over UFC veterans Rich Attonito and Jay Silva. He fights out of the Throwdown Training Center in Las Vegas. With just 12 days to prepare for a former Strikeforce middleweight champion and ADCC winner, he'll have his work cut out for him in Columbus.
    test
  4. MDMAc Sabbath

UFC Flyweight tournament Semi-final to Feature a “Sudden Death” Round

In what has to be considered a groundbreaking move, Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson confirmed in an interview with Tapout radio that his semi-final bout in the UFC Flyweight Championship tournament will feature a “sudden-death” round if necessary.

According to Johnson, the bout will feature a fourth round if after the regulation time the judges can not make a decision.

“…we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”

Although Johnson couldn’t confirm, it can be assumed that the other bracket, featuring Joseph Benavidez and Yasuhiro Urushitani, were forced to sign a similar contract.

There has been no comment from the UFC is this is something that is planned to become normal in major bouts. It would certainly add a new dimension to world title bouts, and may give judges the freedom to grant a 10-10 scorecard when rounds are very close.
    test
  5. MDMAc Sabbath

Tyson Fury vs Martin Rogan Official For April 14 in Belfast

The April 14 fight in Belfast between Tyson Fury and Martin Rogan has been made official, and will air on Channel 5 from Odyssey Arena.

Channel 5's Mark Pougatch spoke with both fighters during the Kid Galahad vs Jason Booth show this past weekend. This was the conversation:

Pougatch: "How much are you looking forward to this fight in Ireland on April 14th?"

Rogan: "Very much, very long anticipated fight, respectfully Tyson's world number 6 and I'm getting a great opportunity thanks to Mick Hennessy, Mickey Hughes and Tyson Fury, lot's have gone on with the politics in boxing obviously with the purse offers, but some of the phrases that were used against Tyson calling him a chicken and stuff like that I find very disrespectful because any man who steps in the ring is far from a chicken, and as I said, I respect the chance that I've been given to step in the ring.

"I'm a great heavyweight, I've proved that by beating Matt Skelton, the undefeated and un-knocked out guy, I beat Audley Harrison, so I got the pedigree to do the business on the 14 April and that's what I intend to do."

Star-divide

Pougatch: "Why is it Martin next for you Tyson, why is it Martin Rogan?""

Fury: "Well we sat down and it's been a long decision, the fight has been off and on two or three times and it was suppose to happen last year when I fought at the Kings Hall and like you said before it's politics that got in the way of the boxing match and that's what it's not about. It's about going in there given the fans a great fight and I know Martin Rogan, I've grew up my full career watching him so I've nothing but respect for the man.

"I was watching the fights when he beat Matt Skelton and Audley Harrison and I know he is coming firing with both hands to take what I've got away but as he said I'm number 6 in the world and I'm working my way to a world title shot and I'm hoping I'm going to get there."

Pougatch: "So what is your prediction for the fight on the April 14 with Martin Rogan?"

Fury: "All I can say in prediction is this is going to be a great fight, there is going to be plenty of action and Martin Rogan always comes to fight as does Tyson Fury. And you are going to see two true warriors in the ring come April 14, in a fighting country as well."

Pougatch: "A prediction from your point of view?"

Rogan: "I don't make predictions, Tyson makes predictions. Tyson, what round am I going to knock you out in?"

Fury: "The first ten seconds."

While it will make for some good quotes between a couple of guys who know how to talk, and I don't think anyone dislikes Martin Rogan or his story, let's get down to what this fight really is.

First off, I want to say I completely understand why Fury and Mick Hennessy chose not to fight David Price, and chose to vacate the British and Commonwealth belts. I don't like it, but TV contracts like Hennessy has with Channel 5 are precious commodities for any promoter, and they can't risk that on anything, really. Hennessy isn't exactly swimming in marketable fighters right now. Keeping Tyson Fury (17-0, 12 KO) from disaster is priority No. 1 in his spot.

But, let's be honest here: Hennessy is pushing Fury down the path of least resistance, whatever the reason. Since beating an out-of-shape Dereck Chisora last July, it almost seems like Hennessy understands how lucky they got, and has had him fighting the likes of Nicolai Firtha, which was non-title all the way since Firtha is American, and Neven Pajkic, which was only for the Commonwealth belt, as Pajkic is Canadian. Though both Firtha and Pajkic put a couple jolts into Fury, neither man was brought in for a competitive bout. And he never once defended the British title, which has been sitting dormant since July.

Now we have Rogan (14-2, 7 KO), a man who will turn 42 a couple of weeks after he fights Fury, and hasn't been in the ring since November 2010. He had a pair of fights in that month, against a couple guys with losing records, following a pair of losses to Sam Sexton. The first loss, in May 2009, was questionable. The second, in November 2009, was not, as Sexton overcame a fast start from Rogan to get him out after six rounds.

The best that can really come of this is a fun action fight, but who knows if Rogie has his old two-fist charges in him anymore? He's old, he's inactive, and he's always been extremely limited as a fighter. Chances are high this winds up not much of a challenge for Fury, and it's far from a fight that validates any of that world title talk he gave when vacating his belts.
    test
  6. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Japanese Star Tatsuya Kawajiri Booked For ONE FC 3 In Singapore

More interesting news coming out of the Asian MMA scene, as officials from ONE Fighting Championship have announced that Japanese star Tatsuya Kawajiri is set to compete at ONE FC 3 in Singapore.

Kawajiri has long been at the top of the lightweight rankings, but decided to drop down to featherweight late last year, gaining 2 impressive submission wins over Joachim Hansen and Kazuyuki Miyata. As of this writing, no opponent has been named to face the 'Crusher', who will be looking to stay undefeated since making the cut.

The signing is part of that on-going partnership between DREAM and ONE FC, and is a welcome addition to a card that has just lost Babalu Sobral, who recently dropped off his scheduled bout against Melvin Manhoef.

Related:
    Eduard Folayang Vs. Ole Laursen Announced For ONE FC 3
    Victor Cui Talks About March ONE FC Event In Singapore

Here is the current rumored card:

ONE Fighting Championship 3: Battle of the Lions
    March 31, 2012 - Singapore Indoor Stadium, Singapore

- Masakazu Imanari vs. Kevin Belingon
    - Eduard Folayang vs. Ole Laursen
    - Tatsuya Kawajiri
    - Melvin Manhoef
    - Zorobabel Moreira
    - Gregor Gracie
    - Eddie Ng
    - Ray Elbe
    - Nicole Chua vs. Jeet Toshi
    test
  7. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Bellator Heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov Stabbed In Bulgaria, Fighting For His Life

Bellator heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov was stabbed in the chest in a pub in Sofia, Bulgaria early Sunday morning and despite successful surgery, things are still very dicey for the Combat Sambo world champion. The Sofia News Agency passed along the unfortunate news today:

Bulgarian MMA fighter Blagoi Ivanov, who was stabbed early Sunday morning in a pub brawl in Sofia, is still fighting for his life, announced doctors.

Ivanov has sustained a deep knife wound in his chest that reached to his heard and is currently under artificial respiration at the intensive care unit of Pirogov Hospital in Sofia.

Surgeons have carried out a life-saving operation on their patient, but say his life is still under a real threat.

Sunday night Ivanov and two of his friends had just occupied their places in a bar on Graf Ignatiev Str., when a group of 8 persons armed with bats and knives came in and attacked them.

At 5.10 am police came in to find the attackers escaped and Ivanov with a deep stab wound under his armpit.

Ivanov (6-0, 1 NC) is probably best known for defeating Fedor Emelianenko in the finals of the 2008 Combat Sambo World Championships. He was signed by Bellator last year and went 2-0 in the promotion. His last bout was on Christmas Eve in Russia, where he defeated Ricco Rodriguez by controversial TKO.

HT: mmarocks****
    test
  8. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Dana White Says Anthony Pettis Will 'Likely' Get Next UFC Lightweight Title Shot

EX-WEC lightweights had a good night at UFC 144 in Japan, and it appears that the last WEC fight ever might be re-created in the UFC octagon. As we all know by now, Ben Henderson claimed the UFC lightweight title with a unanimous decision win over Frankie Edgar in the main event tonight. Anthony Pettis led off the card with a highlight-reel head kick knockout of Joe Lauzon, and made it clear that he thinks he deserves a title shot. And UFC president Dana White agreed with that when he spoke at the post-fight press conference:

"I think he's gonna get it."

The two met the first time at WEC 53, where Pettis claimed the win and the WEC lightweight title and made the term "Showtime Kick" popular. White did temper his enthusiasm somewhat by saying that he doesn't like making those kinds of decisions on fight night and "we'll see what happens", but it'd be hard to deny Pettis his shot at this point. Many would like to see the winner of UFC on Fox 3's main event, Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller, get a shot, but that fight is three months from now and this seems to make more sense. Dana has been known to change his mind on these things all the time, but as of tonight, it looks like Ben Henderson will be making his first UFC lightweight title defense against a familiar foe.
    test
  9. Makabreli

Makabreli done

UFC 144 Results

Benson Henderson def. Frankie Edgar via unanimous decision (49-46, 48-47, 49-46) – becomes new lightweight champion

Ryan Bader def. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Mark Hunt def. Cheick Kongo via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:11

Jake Shields def. Yoshihiro Akiyama via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Tim Boetsch def. Yushin Okami via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 0:54

Hatsu Hioki def. Bart Palaszewski via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)

Anthony Pettis def. Joe Lauzon via knockout (kick and punches) – Round 1, 1:21

Takanori Gomi def. Eiji Mitsuoka via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:21

Vaughan Lee def. Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:29

Riki Fukuda def. Steve Cantwell via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)

Chris Cariaso def. Takeya Mizugaki via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Issei Tamura def. Tiequan Zhang via knockout (punch) – Round 2, 0:32
    test
  10. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Kraniotakes, Hayes to Vie for Vacant Cage Warriors Heavyweight Title on March 16

Germany’s top heavyweight, Andreas Kraniotakes, continues to build his reputation as a man willing to step up on short notice.

With just two and a half weeks to prepare, Kraniotakes has agreed to face Strikeforce and Bellator veteran Mike Hayes for the vacant heavyweight title of England’s Cage Warriors Fighting Championship. The bout will take place March 16 at the promotion’s “Fight Night 4” event in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Cage Warriors director Graham Boylan confirmed the booking to Sherdog.com on Monday.

The 30-year-old “Big Daddy” Kraniotakes accepted similar spontaneous job offers last year when he took on 6-foot-10 Englishman Dave Keeley just three weeks after knocking out Jay Mortimore. Most notably, he also stepped in for the injured Pedro Rizzo and took on former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia at ProElite 2 with only 18 days’ notice.

“I am overwhelmed by the opportunity Cage Warriors has given me,” Kraniotakes, who is currently training in Romania, told Sherdog.com on Monday. “It’s a dream come true to finally be fighting for a world title at this stage of my career and I’m fully determined to bring that belt home. Of course, 20 days is not a lot of time to prepare for a five-rounder, but I’m still in good shape from my last fight at Cage Warriors and positive that I can deliver another good performance.”

Hayes, 31, is a graduate of the Pacific Northwest circuit who holds an impressive 16-4-1 record. “300” has been to the big show before, making his third pro fight for Strikeforce and later grinding out a 2-1 record inside the Bellator Fighting Championships with wins over Steven Banks and Neil Grove. Hayes has also faced UFC veterans Mario Miranda and Fabiano Scherner in his five-year professional career.

The winner of this heavyweight battle will succeed Jeff Monson as the Cage Warriors heavyweight champion. The “Snowman” won the title by submitting Tengiz Teodoradze in April of 2005 and defended it once against Frenchman Marc Emmanuel later that year. The belt was vacated when Monson signed with the UFC and was unable to defend it for more than a year.
    test
  11. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Yves Edwards injured, Jeremy Stephens in against Donald Cerrone at UFC on Fuel TV 3

Yves Edwards has been forced out of a bout with Donald Cerrone at UFC on Fuel TV 3 this May, according to a report from MMAJunkie.com, and stepping into his place is Jeremy Stephens.

Though initially reported as an undisclosed injury, reports on Twitter state that Edwards may have a torn bicep, keeping him from this bout.

Stephens will return to action for the first time since September and his split decision loss to Anthony Pettis. For the third straight fight he'll take on a former WEC competitor in Cerrone, and he'll hope to pick up his fifth win in his last seven fights in the Octagon.

Cerrone hopes to bounce back himself after suffering a momentum killing loss to Nate Diaz in December. Prior to that decision defeat, Cerrone had rattled off four straight wins in 2011 in what was an impressive kick off to his UFC career.

UFC on Fuel TV 3 takes place on May 15 from the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va., headlined by a featherweight bout between Dustin Poirier and "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung
    test
  12. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Bellator 60 fight card complete with 11 bouts, Bailey-Shockley joins prelims

The fight card for the first event of Bellator's sixth season is now complete.

Officials today announced the inclusion of four additional preliminary-card bouts to Bellator 60, which takes place March 9 at The Venue at Horseshoe Hammond in Hammond, Ind.

The event's main card airs live on MTV2 while preliminary-card fights stream on Spike.com.

The additions include 165-pounders Shamar Bailey (13-5 MMA, 0-0 BFC) vs. Josh Shockley (8-1 MMA, 1-1 BFC), featherweights Mike Corey (11-2-1 MMA, 0-0-1 BFC) vs. Bobby Reardanz (8-10 MMA, 0-0 BFC), welterweights Lance Surma (1-0 MMA, 0-0 BFC) vs. Eric Oria (0-0 MMA, 0-0 BFC), and bantamweights Cory Galloway (4-0 MMA, 0-0 BFC) vs. Jake Nauracy (8-0 MMA, 0-0 BFC).

Bailey, a cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 13," returns to the big stage after an unsuccessful stint in the UFC. While he successfully graduated from the show with a win over Ryan McGillivray at its live finale, back-to-back losses against Evan Dunham and Danny Castillo forced his exit from the octagon. He subsequently rebounded with a submission victory this past month in regional competition.

Bellator vet Shockley made a successful return to the promotion during season five by submitting Eric Moon with a guillotine choke in 35 seconds. That undoubtedly erased a bad taste left from his previous appearance, which ended in disappointment when Toby Imada submitted him in 79 seconds in the opening round of Bellator's season-four lightweight tournament.

Corey, meanwhile, looks to get on the winning track after his Bellator debut ended inconclusively. He met Chris Horodecki at Bellator 57 and fought three rounds before judges ruled the bout a draw. That snapped a five-fight win streak for the featherweight, who has fallen short just twice in his professional career.

His opponent, Reardanz, submitted his previous two opponents in the first round ahead of his Bellator debut. But there's a lot of red ink on his resume, and the featherweight could use a boost with a win over Corey.

Welterweight Surna went 6-3 as an amateur before turning pro this past October. Oria, meanwhile, is 2-0 as an amateur and makes his professional debut at Bellator 60.

Galloway brings an undefeated record into the Bellator cage. A veteran of the Midwest XFO organization, he has finished two of his opponents by submission. Nauracy, meanwhile, has twice as many fights as Galloway and has finished all but one of his eight bouts by way of submission. All of his victories have come within the first round.

The full Bellator 60 card includes:

Champ Joe Warren vs. Pat Curran (for featherweight title)
    Marlon Sandro vs. Roberto Vargas (featherweight-tourney opening round)
    Wagnney Fabiano vs. Ronnie Mann (featherweight-tourney opening round)
    Alexandre "PoPo" Bezerra vs. Genair da Silva (featherweight-tourney opening round)
    Jeremy Spoon vs. Daniel Straus (featherweight-tourney opening round)
    Shamar Bailey vs. Josh Shockley
    Anthony Gomez vs. Travis Wiuff
    Sean McCorkle vs. Richard White
    Mike Corey vs. Bobby Reardanz
    Lance Surma vs. Eric Oria
    Cory Galloway vs. Jake Nauracy
    test
  13. Makabreli

Makabreli done

Antonio Tarver vs Lateef Kayode Probable For May 26 on Showtime

Dan Rafael of ESPN.com tweeted on Saturday night that a cruiserweight fight between Antonio Tarver and Lateef Kayode looks likely for Showtime on May 26, and while we talked about it on Saturday in the Maidana vs Alexander live thread, I wanted to discuss it a bit more, so let's do that.

Tarver (29-6, 20 KO) scored a "big" win last summer over Danny Green, but whether or not I consider it much of a feather in the old man's cap, he did look really good in the fight, physically. At 43, Tarver hasn't taken a ton of punishment in his career, and while he's definitely far slower than he used to be and nowhere near his prime, the Tarver who smoked Danny Green could compete against anyone in the cruiserweight division, I believe.

That includes Kayode (18-0, 14 KO), a Freddie Roach-trained Nigerian who has been featured numerous times on ShoBox: The New Generation, despite an overall lack of interest in the cruiserweight division in the United States.

Kayode's recent fights have been a mixed bag. He defeated Matt Godfrey, and clearly so, same with Felix Cora Jr, but his limitations started to show through in those fights, plus his closer bout with Nicholas Iannuzzi. He looks like he has a lower ceiling than was originally hyped, but that's not unusual or anything.

As much as I don't think Showtime should spend their budget on Tarver vs Kayode, I guess I can say I'm interested to see how Kayode does against someone like Tarver, who is still better than anyone he's fought, and remains a very smart, very confident fighter. And I'm interested to see if Tarver's win over Danny Green was a full mirage; I don't think there's any question that he's probably not quite as good as he looked that night. But how close was that to the "real" current Tarver, and how much was due to Danny Green being old himself, and more worn out than Tarver?

That's what we'll get to find out. And if Kayode wins, it's probably time he starts heading overseas to fight. There's just no interest in his division in the United States, and that's not just one of those things people say. The division has never caught on here and is in no danger of catching on any time soon.
    test
  14. MDMAc Sabbath

Nonito Donaire's Next Fight: Cristian Mijares Tentatively Set For July 14, Cowboys Stadium

Nonito Donaire will be back in action on July 14, in a card Top Rank hopes to make Mexico vs Philippines at Texas' Cowboys Stadium with Juan Manuel Marquez potentially facing Mercito Gesta in the main event, but while his fairly swift return to the ring is good news, I doubt many are going to be happy about the choice of opponent.

Former super flyweight titlist Cristian Mijares is slated to face Donaire on July 14, according to Ronnie Nathanielsz, who spoke with promoter Bob Arum about the idea.

Mijares (44-6-2, 20 KO) has a fight set right now against Cruz Carbajal (32-18-2, 26 KO) in Mexico on April 14, and should he win as expected, he will face Donaire three months later.

Star-divide

While Mijares, 30, is a very skilled boxer and has bounced back nicely from a three-fight losing streak in 2008-09, he's just not a difficult matchup on paper for Donaire, and oddly enough, Mijares is hardly known as an exciting fighter, which sure makes it strange considering Donaire's issues with fighting Guillermo Rigondeaux because he's boring or too technical or whatever.

Mijares also isn't really a super bantamweight, and really hasn't had any notable success over 115 pounds. This fight, should it come off as planned, would lead to a September date for Donaire against Jorge Arce, at least in theory. Donaire vs Arce has been rumored a couple of times now, but keeps being put off for whatever reason.

Mijares' most famous win to date came in 2007, when he brutalized Arce over 12 rounds on the Manny Pacquiao vs Jorge Solis undercard.

The other main candidate to face Donaire in July was Victor Terrazas (32-2-1, 18 KO), who is coming off of an upset win over Fernando Montiel. Donaire last fought on February 4 in San Antonio, soundly but rather routinely defeating Wilfredo Vazquez Jr on HBO.
    test
  15. MDMAc Sabbath

Dereck Chisora Banned By WBC: What It Means and What It Doesn't Mean

You have perhaps already heard that British heavyweight bad boy Dereck Chisora has been banned indefinitely by the WBC, one of the four major sanctioning bodies in boxing, and you may have already read that his promoter Frank Warren is wondering exactly how or why they would do that without any sort of hearing.

So let's break down what this really means, but we'll start with what it does not mean.

Chisora is not banned from boxing. He won't be ranked by the WBC, cannot fight for their title, which he did in a losing effort against Vitali Klitschko on February 18.

Here's what WBC dictator Jose Sulaiman said about the suspension in his letter to BoxingScene.com:

Derek Chisora is not going to tarnish the sport for those born in the humblest beds, who become sports heroes of the world to live a life of dignity and pride. Chisora, however, as a human being that he is, is going to be strongly invited to enter an anger management rehabilitating program that hopefully will act in his benefit.

Chisora hasn't even had his hearing yet with the British Boxing Board of Control. That's scheduled for March 14.

But the WBC does what the WBC wants, same as the other sanctioning bodies, but with, it would seem, more contradictory, self-serving, melodramatic nonsense like this than most of them bother with. Who can forget when the WBC suspended Chris Arreola for cursing on TV after a win?

Star-divide

That from the same folks who didn't bat an eye when Floyd Mayweather Jr -- their current welterweight titlist and a multi-time WBC titleholder who is held in the highest esteem by the organization -- went on a profanity-laced tirade against his father on HBO's "24/7" last year, and then defended Mayweather's post-fight tantrum directed at Larry Merchant, during which Mayweather cursed for all to hear on live TV, same as Arreola had.

Speaking of dignity and pride, did the WBC suspend Julio Cesar Chavez Jr following his positive drug test in Nevada in 2009? No, of course not. Chavez, like Mayweather, is a favored WBC fighter. So he was sheltered by Uncle Jose and the rest of the organization, as they moaned to the public about the dangers of Chavez's poor conditioning (which required the diuretic/masking agent that popped his test), setting him up with specialists to help determine his optimum fighting weight.

So in short, this is all a bunch of bullshit. Sulaiman and the WBC pick and choose people to make an example of because they can, basically, and because if they later change their mind when there's money to be made from those guys in sanctioning fees, they'll just lift their punishment. Arreola, for instance, has since fought for two WBC sanctioned minor titles.

Chisora's actions -- his slapping of Vitali at the weigh-in, spitting in Wladimir Klitschko's face, brawling with David Haye -- were ridiculous, over the top, and didn't speak well of him at all. And given that we're a whole 11 days removed from these momentous events and nobody is much talking about any of it anymore, just like every other thing that happens in the shortest-sighted sport on the planet, I dare say it wasn't "good for boxing" and didn't really have any legitimate impact on anything, good or bad.

But the WBC's self-congratulating nonsense means nothing. They're patting themselves on the back and giving their general impression that they're here for the good of the sport, and sometimes they do some things that are to the benefit of boxing's well-being, sure, but for the most part they are money-grubbing middlemen whose role in the sport does nothing to legitimize it or lend it any help.

Chisora most likely will receive some type of suspension from the BBBofC, which will actually mean something since his license will be held up for an amount of time, perhaps six months, perhaps a year, maybe "indefinitely" but probably not (and if it is "indefinite," what that will probably mean is he comes back in a year to reapply). The WBC can't stop Chisora from fighting because they have no real say or licensing or anything of that nature. They can only say that they'll not let him fight for a WBC title again, and that's about as likely to hold up as the next aging boxer's retirement.
    test
  16. MDMAc Sabbath

Dmitry Pirog Back in the Ring on May 1, Opponent Not Determined

WBO middleweight titlist Dmitry Pirog will return to action on Tuesday, May 1 in Moscow, possibly against mandatory challenger Max Bursak of Ukraine, according to Alexey Sukachev at BoxingScene.com.

Pirog (19-0, 15 KO) has seen his splashy knockout win over favored American prospect Daniel Jacobs in 2010 be reduced to a footnote over the last year and a half, as he's fought just twice since then, both times in Russia against mediocre challengers, and seen his buzz all but killed off. The chance to truly capitalize on that eye-popping performance in Las Vegas against Jacobs has come and gone, but he remains a quality fighter and a titleholder, so if that's enough for him, then good for him, I suppose.

The only thing official is that he'll face a "highly ranked contender in the WBO's top ten." Most of these guys aren't going to happen, but let's run through the list for funsies anyway.

Star-divide

1. Max Bursak (24-0-1, 10 KO)

Bursak, 27, is pretty decent at best, which fits the mold. I don't mean that to be some shocking putdown, he's an OK fighter and there are worse title challengers every other week in boxing. This would seem most likely. It gets a mandatory out of the way again and makes sense.

2. Andy Lee (27-1, 19 KO)

27-year-old Lee is currently trying to land a June date with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, and is unlikely to travel to Russia for a fight with Pirog, and Pirog's team has never mentioned him or anything. There's a really good chance Lee won't fight Chavez (who may instead face Martin Murray) and will instead be waiting around, possibly for a fight against the Martinez vs Macklin winner, as all three fighters are promoted by Lou DiBella.

3. Martin Murray (23-0-1, 10 KO)

Murray, as just mentioned, is potentially in line for a Chavez fight, too. The 29-year-old Englishman is coming off of a debated draw in December with Felix Sturm, which raised his stock ten-fold.

4. Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (26-0, 17 KO)

Whatever -- he's a pretty decent fighter, but getting close to becoming irrelevant. Hasn't fought since last April, when he arguably got a little assistance defeating Giovanni Lorenzo. He's just not doing anything right now.

5. Grzegorz Proksa (26-0, 19 KO)

Pirog vs Proksa would be a really interesting fight, but the 27-year-old European champ has a fight lined up on March 17 against Kerry Hope in the UK on the Brook vs Hatton card.

6. Jermain Taylor (29-4-1, 18 KO)

Following his December return to the ring against undersized club fighter Jessie Nicklow, the WBO thought it was really important to get Taylor in line for a title shot, because that's how it goes. Taylor is semi-important. Jermain isn't looking to fight Pirog, though. He and DiBella seem to be taking it slow and steady with a comeback, as Taylor, 33, is likely to face Joachim Alcine in April.

7. Billi Facundo (24-0, 13 KO)

Facundo, 25, won the vacant WBO Latino belt in his last outing, a win over Luciano Silva, and now has an April 14 date against Carlos Baldomir lined up, because Baldomir is equal opportunity and apparently wants everyone to get their licks in on the greatest fluke champion of the 2000s.

8. Rafael Bejaran (14-1, 6 KO)

Holds the WBO Euro title. Isn't a serious contender.

9. Nobuhiro Ishida (24-7-2, 9 KO)

Well, these rankings were compiled before Ishida lost badly to Paul Williams on February 18, but even still it's funny that the WBO ranked him at middleweight due to one catchweight (158 lbs) win over James Kirkland. He's a junior middleweight. He's always been a junior middleweight.

10. Matthew Macklin (28-3, 19 KO)

Has a few things on his plate right now.
    test
  17. Makabreli

Makabreli done

in the books.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.