Favourite genre and games of genres?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Lucifa, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

List your fav title for the genres and why.
    Plus which genre is your personal fav?

FPS / Racer (Sim + Arcade) / Sports / Beat'em up / Platform / Survival Horror / RPG / Action / Puzzle / Other.

(covered all I could think of)
    test
  2. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

I'd select Racers as my favourite genre and racing cabinets are the games that get my attention and money at the arcades.

FPS: Call Of Duty 4.
    Although Halo really got me in to the genre and I had great fun with Timesplitters, I have to say that CoD4 has come out on top for me so far. The MP aspect probably weights in it's favour but although some parts were nerve destroyingly difficult; the campaign was good with some decent variety in mission and environment.

Racer (sim): Forza 2
    There's not too many sims really, with PGR being a halfway game and Ferrari Challenge being damn hard whilst Gran Turismo had so little personality. Leaving Forza standing on the highest podium for me, especially with the customisation options open to the player.

Racer (arcade): Need For Speed: Most Wanted
    The series has had its ups and downs and EA really should think about updating every other year instead yearly, but it's still a fun game and Most Wanted stands out for me on entertainment levels. Outrun2 comes uber close with this but the extra things you can do in MW takes it.

Sports: Virtua Tennis 2
    There's so many titles I would select for this on a different day. FIFA and Ready 2 Rumble to name two but I've gone with a game myself and friends had many laughs with on the old Dreamcast. Didn't take itself seriously whilst also offering a serious game that was fun to play.

Beat'em Up: Soul Calibur 2
    Soul Blade was an unknown title in the main but we had so many "winner stays on" games with it and so when it turned in to a franchise with sequels I had to keep up with it and SC2 is my pick of the bunch from the graphics to the fluid gameplay.

Platform: Super Mario Bros 3
    Not a genre I play too often. I think Vexx is the last platformer I played and enjoyed any so I have to go back to when platformers were king. Sonic was cool but after the failure that was Mario Bros 2, good old Ninty came full force with a great game and my fav platformer in SMB3. Loved it.

Survival Horror: Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    I really couldn't get in to the series until this title because I hate the static cam. I haven't played many titles of other series but the Silent Hill I played bored me, whilst Project Zero/Fatal Frame was interesting but a bit stale after a while and Condenmed was a good game (2 was poop IMO) which I enjoyed but just not on the same level I did RE:CV.

RPG: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
    meh .. RPG's really really aren't my thing. I've played so few. Skies Of Arcadia was decent and Fable wasn't terrible, but neither held my interest for too long. KOTOR did keep me interested until the 'end' though, but it didn't convert me to the genre, especially after KOTOR2 was a big let down for me.

Action: GTA
    I almost put this as my RPG choice as it has those elements that make it an RPG style game, but like Headhunter and Crackdown I think these fall in to 'Action'. I won't select a version as all the games in the series have their own merit and peevs, but the series as a whole has been an entertaining franchise.

Puzzle: Lost Vikings
    A very unknown game I think. It was out on the Amiga and was overshadowed by the likes of Lemmings and Worms at the time. However; Lost Vikings was a really good and deeply involving puzzler that me and my cousin spent hours playing.

Other: Worms
    So simple yet so much fun and a bunch of us would waste away whole evenings and nights playing 4 player Worms sessions. The 3D versions weren't so brilliant but still good fun.
    test
  3. vinyl academics

vinyl academics vinyl academics

you......like code veronica more than re4?
    test
  4. Soull

Soull New Member

hmm apparently RE4 was very different to the other REs which is
    why its so popular. (I havent really played enough to tell though)
    test
  5. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

FPS - Call Of Duty 4. Best game EVER.

Third Person Action - Metal Gears/Resident Evil. Self explanatory. Metal Gear 4 and Resident Evil 4 are among the best games ever created.
    test
  6. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

I haven't played RE4 .. looking forward to 5 though .. which I believe is similar gameplay style ..
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I only play FPS/3rd Person type of action games and Sports.

Call of Duty/Half Life/Hitman/Pro Evo
    test
  8. Langford

Langford New Member

My favorite games are usually RPGs, Action or Platformers, so i tend to stick with those.

I hardly ever play some of the types listed (sports, horror, fps, racing, puzzle, fighting).

I'm more likely to try FPS than i have been in the past, though, probably partly due to all the constant talk about them around here.

I might try CoD or get Bioshock when it comes to PS3. And why do they need a new CoD game every year?

I just recently started playing games on a regular basis again. I picked up God of war, FFXII, the 3rd Prince of Persia and Resident Evil 4 today. Never played any of the RE games before, but the hype around that one convinced me.
    test
  9. Matches T. Malone

Matches T. Malone Registered Playboy

I'm only going as far back as the PS2 with this.

FPS- Call of Duty(except for 3), Bioshock, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Halo

3rdPS- Max Payne( 1&2), Psi-Ops, Star Wars Battlefront II

Stealth & Tactical Shooter- Splinter Cell( series), GRAW(1,2)

Racer (Sim + Arcade) - Need for Speed

Sports- NFL2K5, FIFA(series), Fight Night(series)....I lost a lot of interest in sports games, It used to be the genre i played the most on previous consoles.

RPG- Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, KOTOR, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XII, Suikoden III, Xenosaga, Persona 3, Jade Empire

Action Adventure- Ninja Gaiden, Okami, Saints Row, Prince of Persia(series), God of War (series), Shadow of the Colossus, Crimson Skies, Devil May Cry 4, Shadow of Rome, Spartan: Total Warrior, Gladius, The Godfather

Strategy/Sim- Command & Conquer 3, Civilization Revolution, Ace Combat 6

Action/Adventure and RPG's are apparently my genre of choice these days, with Shooters in general also being a favorite.
    test
  10. Langford

Langford New Member

Jade Empire was ill. I need to play that again sometime. Better than Fable, imo.
    test
  11. Matches T. Malone

I think so too. Fable was ok, but a big disappointment for me.

same team is working on Jade Empire 2 for the 360.
    test
  12. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

FPS - Half-Life series. COD4(Online only, I hate war games single player esp with no co-op), Bioshock.

TPS - Gears of war, FF7:Dirge of Cerebus(I'm a sucker for ff7).

racer (Anykind) - Need for speed, Flatout:Ultimate Carnage.

Sports - NBA2k series, Fifa, Fight Night, hopefully UFC in may.

RPG - FF7,10,12. Fable, Jade Empire, Shin Tensi Megami(Maybe?) Nocturne, Dragon Quest(The whole series), Earthbound, Xenogears.

Action Adventure - GoW, DMC, shadow of the Colossus, Ninja Gaiden.

RTS - Age of Empire 2, Warcraft 3, Civ Rev.

Fighting - Street Fight 2, soul caliber 4.
    test
  13. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

I prefered Jade Empire to Fable as well .. Fable was decent but I got bored with it pretty quickly .. only so much fun to be had kicking chickens ..
    test
  14. Complete Chaos

Complete Chaos I'm Drugs.

I forgot KOTOR on my rpg list.

I think that Fable was better than JE, but that's just me.
    Anyone getting Fable 2 that has XBL and want to do some co-op missions when it comes out?
    test
  15. Matches T. Malone

I still haven't played the Half-Life series...just some co-op. I think i need to buy the orange box.

I was looking for FFVII, and I'm kind of fucked on that. wherever i looked, i could either buy it used for around $40-60, but the condition was somewhere between acceptable and good.....that's not good enough for me, I'd end up paying that much and have a section on the 3rd disc that's unplayable, or i can buy new for $150+ lol....fuck.

CoD4 has one of the best single player campaigns that i have ever played...you should give it a try.

heh, yea....It wasn't at all how i thought it would be. The schooling was bearable, but only because i thought it would get much better once i set out. which wasn't really the case...there were a few things/missions i liked, but not enough. Also, I wasn't even that much of a magic user, but I still got old and pale real quick.

I'll get it for sure, but it won't be when it comes out...maybe a couple weeks after. Unless, all i hear is about how great the game is, then i'll buy it.
    test
  16. veral conflict

veral conflict beatsrus

fps: halo combat evolved - the best console multiplayer fps ever, so simple yet so deep.. with timing of weapons, spawn system, the weapons itself, nading weapons, etc.. nothing can beat it on CONSOLE..

rpg - suikoden 2... funnest rpg game ive ever played, the one i was most into.. kinda pissed they changed the war system from the first, but still great

racing - gran turismo series... i used to play this shit night till morning fixing and tuning up cars, as far as
    ARCADE racing Daytona takes it..

fighting - SF3 or super smash(minus brawl).. not a big fan of the genre, but i was really into these games..

rts - starcraft hands down the GOAT.. fast, fun and had amazing online service.

sports - victorious boxer series, greatest boxing games of all time.. nba 2k7 and 2k8-- 2k9 is absolutely garbage compared to its predecessors, i cant stand it..

puzzle - i guess tetris or that bubble game..
    test
  17. Lucifa

Lucifa Viva La Eva

8 Cabinet link-up in the arcades of Daytona USA was pretty awesome .. and I always look for an OutRun2 cabinet ..

and I agree with Halo being a top choice but I didn't get xbox live until the 360 and thus only played Halo 3 in multiplayer .. which although good .. isn't brilliant .. nor grabbed me as much as CoD4 did ..
    test
  18. NaSh

NaSh o_

agree about fable and i didnt know they were making jade empire 2. that makes me happy :)
    test
  19. Fantom

Fantom :ihadadream:

i ve never been a big fps fan except for goldeneye and cod4... couldnt really get into the others that have come out...

I play mostly sports & fighting/action games....
    test
  20. Radium

Radium f k

Basically I'm just trying to get back into old games. like not even shit from way back but shit I may have just happened to miss went it came or if I just rented it and only got to play for a week...

example:

Wind Waker. I was in math class like fuck I need to play wind waker. I just get hit with those moments like fuck I need to play that.

Like just reading this thread inspires/reminds me to cop suikoden and FF7

These new games are mostly cheeks anyway not to mention expensive beyond forgiveness in these cold and bitter times
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.