equipment upgrade... your opinion?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Yahway, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahway

Yahway power to my cock

I have an AT2020 USB Audio-Technica Cardioid Condenser Mic. I am plugging it directly into my Toshiba Laptop and running Cool Edit to record vocals. The quality is ass haha. I have a mid-range voice. my vocals sound drowned or suffocated behind pillows. I want to invest in something that will give me significantly better quality, for an affordable price. i would like to spend no more than 300 for this next piece of equipment. eventually, i will like to continue purchasing more equipment. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thank you!
    test
  2. TrackMakerz

TrackMakerz TrackMakerz

I have pro tools the m-box 2 for sale if your in need of some great upgrade and this will help your recordings and productions alot,just pm me if your interested.....
    test
  3. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

better mic and a good pre-amp

you can get both for a lil over 300.

the AT2020 non usb version is around 200$ i think
    and try looking for a second hand pre-amp such as the focusrite trakmaster pro.
    new its 300$ but I got mines on ebay for only 100$

it has a build in EQ and compressor so you can slightly shape your voice aswell
    test
  4. --Sinical--

--Sinical-- Real Hip Hop

My advice; Get the Mbox it's $300.00. Pro Tools will give you a much more crisp sound when Recording your raw vocals. Also, the Plug Ins for Mixing are 100 times better than Cool Edit, especially the EQ's.

If you do get the Mbox you are going to need Studio Monitors. If money is an obstacle go really CHEAP for right now and get these: KRK ST6 2-Way Passive Studio Monitor and more Studio Monitors at GuitarCenter.com. -- KRK makes a good product, but don't expect miracles out of them. If you get the Monitors you are going to need the cables separate to plug into your Mbox.

Now that you have the Mbox you can build around it. From here, you could get a Preamp, either a Channel Strip (Built in EQ & Compressor's) or a tube preamp.

When buying cables be sure to get Mugami, there the best cables you can buy and they come with a lifetime warranty. I know it sounds like cables aren't a big deal, but when you are recording and you run the Mic to your Mbox(or preamp) you want crisp sound. Just like when your Mixing/Mastering you want crisp sound, no feedback, or crackles and Mugami will make sure that doesn't happen.

Hope that helps.
    test
  5. poloboy

poloboy New Member

i' say the mbox maybe does it - but it's probably also the mic and the recording spot , where you're recording at ? ...
    If you really wanna upgrade you stuff you should think of buying something ''industry standard'' - cause then you'll have your equipment for the next years ... costs maybe more for now - but i think i pays out in the end (?!) ... just my five cents ... peace
    test
  6. Yahway

Yahway power to my cock

i record in a small storage room full of stuff. rapping is a hobby to me, but i'm willing to lay down cash to enjoy my music more. the mbox seems like the way to go for now. i like your idea sinical, buy mbox and build around that. i'm a little hesitant to purchase the same mic non usb version. is there a noticable difference?
    test
  7. Yahway

Yahway power to my cock

oh and thanks everyone for dropping knowledge.
    test
  8. --Sinical--

--Sinical-- Real Hip Hop

If your looking for a cheap condenser mic, look into the MXL990. I think it's like $80-$100. It's a good starter condenser.

You also want to clean up the room you record in, the less items in there the better. Noise reflects off of everything. So if you have pictures on the wall, or items in the rooms your sound is going to ping pong off of it.

Look into Soundproof foam. You want to get Wedge Foam, it's the best you can buy on a budget(better than pyramid and egg crate)...Find a spot in the room where you can nail it on the wall(or adhesive) Easiest way is to find a corner, add put the Foam on it. Look on ebay for this, you can buy like 48 pieces of wedge foam for $40 with S&H. Set the foam up as if it were half a booth. "X" number on the left side of the wall, "X' number on the right side of the wall. One last step you can do as well, to ensure better sound; and this is not a joke but it will sound funny. Get a thick comforter,blanket, piece of fabric whatever and hang it from the ceiling around the sound proof foam. This way it's like a little recording booth. It's not going to trap all sound but I guarentee you The Mbox + MXL990 + Foam + Blanket, your quality is going to sound 100 times better than it does now.

Your looking at a total of;

Mbox-$300
    MXL-$100
    Foam-$40
    Blanket-$20

Trust me, it will be money well spent.
    test
  9. Temp_Guest2

Temp_Guest2 Dope Lyricist/Producer

New Soundcard.

New mic with XLR which can plug into a external soundcard or mixer.
    test
  10. indepthjay

indepthjay Member

Yeah a mini mxbox is great. There only like 150 at guitar center. Then a good condenser mic should cost you like 150.00 Audio tec makes great mics for great prices! Just shop around like sweetwater,guitar center to see who has the better deals. Also if you have good credit that's a great way to get more for the buck! Good luck!
    test
  11. blitz204

blitz204 BlitzBeats.com

its amazing how good quality sound anybody can get with a few decent pieces of equipment.
    test
  12. Slim Calhoun

Slim Calhoun Perfected Hustle

sinical will the mbox supply the phantom power needed for the mxl990? or will i have to get an external power supply?
    test
  13. KEITH.MAX

KEITH.MAX New Member

Yeah a mini mxbox is great. There only like 150 at guitar center. Then a good condenser mic should cost you like 150.00 Audio tec makes great mics for great prices! Just shop around like sweetwater,guitar center to see who has the better deals. Also if you have good credit that's a great way to get more for the buck! Good luck! ......
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.