EQ TIPS (Sole, Urb, Sho) Step in...

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by MgTheFuture, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MgTheFuture

MgTheFuture Music is my life

Alright, I really need you vets to step in for a moment and explain this EQ thing a little better to me and everyone else. In my beats and from what i hear on the posts, we doing something wrong.

Anytime i touch an EQ i feel like i damaged something LOL...not always, but in general. When i track out a beat no FX alot of the time im like DAMN this sounds better...lol, and i think thats just from cross-referencing the audio dynamic change and perceived loudness/clarity.

Anyways, you guys got a good mix and placement of sounds in your tracks. How and where does one begin with the EQ game? Do you start after volumes and pans be set? or do you EQ everything center? What's the focus instrument/sound that every other adjustment is based off?

I know its art and subjective, but i mean give some kind of skeleton we can go by...

Especially for vocals...if i can get my vocals and remixes to sit right..i can pump out alot more projects with confidence..im ready to hit these streets!
    test
  2. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

this is a great subject,, every time I go to a new studio or meet a new engineer, this is the first thing I ask: what are your favorite frequencies for kicks, snares, vocals, etc..

typically they reply with "well, it varies, theres no magic frequency that works every time".. but as I watch them work or mix, I always find the same few things in common

#1: pretty much every instrument is cut significantly at 3khz and around 350hz... this clears room for vocals and it also just makes the instruments sound realer

#2: vocals are always boosted at 3k, cut in the mid range from 900-1.3khz, and cut around 200hz.. sometimes boosted between 5.1-7.1khz..

#3: pretty much surefire kick frequencies are 64hz (the magic freq) and 150hz.. althouh diff kicks have diff stronger freqs

#4: snares will cut thru cleaner with boosts 3khz.. this is about the only instrument i ever see boosted at 3 khz

#5: to make instrumets sound realer,, cut them in the boomy frequencies (200-400hz) and then boost the low frequencies (from 200 down),, esp if its a flute or a string, or some sort of airy instrumet, i've seen engineers boost these frequencies all the time on airy and soft instruments and it makes the instrument feel heavier and more present in the mix

I'll come add more later
    test
  3. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

another imp tip I forgot.. always make sure the kick and the bass have their own frequency and don't overlap.. when played loudly, the kick should feel like its hitting you in the chest, the bass should feel like its shaking the ground,, dont let them share the same frequency ranges
    test
  4. MgTheFuture

Yeah i have the hardest timing mixing 808/kick/sub/synth bass...especially when im using ALL 4 !!!!
    test
  5. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

i feel u on that dog i've run into that prob as well

when thats the case, i let the 808 have the low, from 40hz below is pure 808... above that, I pretty much cut it... except maybe I"ll boost a bit around 130hz or 300hz to give it some presense depending upon what notes it hits... i'll force the kicks to occupy the same area, and if theres 2-3 kicks, sometimes a kick is getting everything cut except for one little frequecy range.. one thing i've learned is that a lot of kicks have their slap in the 200-400 frequency range and their texture in the 900-1300khz,, and then theres other kicks that are only good for the THUD and they dont sound good above 200 hz... so i'll blend the kicks together so that they keep the texture I want them to have, and cut everything else about them.. then the synth or the live bass, sometimes I'll leave a little low end on 'em around 40-60hz to make it still sound low like a bass, and then i'll give it a boost in the boxy frequencies around 150-200hz and 350-500hz to give it a low presense in the mix although it wont be rumbling like it normally would
    test
  6. L-MoeDaGangster

L-MoeDaGangster dont trip

i usually eq after the compressor, n mostly before my send effects, in the signal chain... if i eq before the compressor i'll most likely have to eq it again after the compressor... panning for me is after i mix, sometimes during to get sounds out of the way and such...it would be like one step before finishing the beat and automating,.. although that's just how i do it, i'm sure it would also make sense to eq with your pans set...
    test
  7. MAD SKREWS

MAD SKREWS Dear Mr.Toilet, Im Da Shi

Pretty much, what sol's saying.. he's on the money..
    test
  8. Odd Man Outt

Odd Man Outt President of the South

yea i really be goin through hell mixin 808's and bass...drumma boy does that shit good as fuck...i'm takin notes tho
    test
  9. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Guest

too add on to sols list, since he pretty muched covered a whole lot.

set a very small Q-factor,
    boost the signal to the maximum
    sweep around the frequency spectrum till you find a problem
    and cut right there, usually you'll be cutting -15 to -15 dB

might have to change the Q here and there, but this will work wonders on unwanted noise you have in cetrain instruments.
    test
  10. MgTheFuture

Thanks sole for clearing that up.

When you say you "cut" after a frequency that's not useful...is that ALL the frequencies after or just a big ass dip..cuz u also mention boosting @ the end of a range too...so does it look like the mcdonalds arch? or what.

@ "from 40hz below is pure 808... above that, I pretty much cut it... except maybe I"ll boost a bit around 130hz or 300hz"

And what are the sweet spots for lead synths VS pads...??

Anyone really....im so serious about getting this right lol
    test
  11. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

JaMarcus Cock Sucker BOSS

theres far too many variables to touch this subject.
    test
  12. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

exactly right... EQ serves more than one purpose,, first it can help mold all the instruments to best fit into the mix,,, for example, a song that is only a piano, such as John Legend "ordinary people", the piano will be EQ'd differently than a song like Alicia Keys "Fallin" where the piano is layered amongst a mix of other instruments.. at the same time, you dont want to mix a piano like an electric guitar, because it won't sound natural to listeners, and it wont compliment the tonality of the instrument... when I mix, I normally solo the instrument to add effects and EQ,, then I place it in the mix and make minor adjustments from there... sometimes a reverb mite sound good on it solo'd, but drowns it out in the mix... sometimes I might not have cut enough muddyness from the EQ for it to cut through amongst the other instruments... there is a certain consistency that all the instruments mix must maintain in order to have a coherent sound to the mix...

great tip, Im starting to think GI is a mastermind engineer on the low haha

esp true about the major cuts of -15dB... dont be conservative with cuts,,,

just a big ass dip... it wont be a pure cut at only that freq or a shelf, itll be a dip like u said... the mcdonalds arches hahaha... the main times I shelf it is if its a kick or a bass and Im cutting everything above it

to me, lead synths are almost always muddy... some of course are exceptions... I find myself consistently adding "brilliance" to the mix of lead synths (boosting around 8.1-11khz, being particularly clear not to boost in the 5.1-7.2khz range and making absolutely sure to cut like hell at the 2.5-3.5khz range)... so I cut out the 3khz and the 350hz range almost every time, guarenteed.. and I wind up accenting the 800-1.8khz range... combining that boost with the boost in brilliance, and the cuts in the vocal ranges and muddy range,, it really gives the lead clarity in a mix
    test
  13. Definit

Definit Based.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there really isnt much to think about if you know how to read these charts and understand how to Cut out Un-Used frequencies to clear up space, know where each thing should sit and follow your ear when its all said n done....it also depends on what instruments are being used together and what is the main melody compared to background melodies...obviously certain instruments frequencies shouldnt be overly boosted if their just background's, unless infact you need that extra seperation from the other instruments in the song...if its a lil dry or bland and you need that sound to pop out, i'd suggest Cutting the low end down a lil more and raise the volume a db up or so, i normally never BOOST frequencies all together for that matter just to keep it in perspective....all in all...eq, is not something that should be too straining on the mind and ears...stay calm and dont do too much that'll take it away from the main focus of the song....less is better sometimes...if you find your self lost in a mix, start over the next day.
    test
  14. Definit

Definit Based.

[​IMG]

its ok if your eq's look like this sometimes, lmao...that means your seperating the instrument in its natural perspective place in a Mix of multiple instruments...
    test
  15. Eternity

Eternity retired legend

dopeeeeeee post @ definit.... this thread has officially become sticky-able
    test
  16. Definit

Definit Based.

some people might forget about me back in the early time frame here, but i used to help out alot with this same stuff that i was learning on my own as well as going to school and picking up new info i felt i should share...all that used to be stickied here and in the audio help & tips section...but when jeff changed it up cleaned out the servers or whatever alot my sticky's and stuff got dumped...
    test
  17. Definit

Definit Based.

p.s. if you dont have them Frequency Charts Printed and Posted up on the wall...or atleast somewhat memorized, then you aint doin the mixing right 9/10...
    test
  18. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

JaMarcus Cock Sucker BOSS

thats prolly the most useful chart i've seen to date
    test
  19. Mr.BYTCH KILLA

Mr.BYTCH KILLA Hater Abolisher

Now this is a good azz thread......no bullshyt...

This is how it suppose to go down.....Fuck all that bullshyt....

and definit I really appreciate them charts...they gonna help me big time putting my sounds in the right feq...or just experiment with certain sounds in other feq.....so many possibilities...

You didnt have to Post That Def'.....Thats Real......Props Nigga...

Rapmusic.com Producers Forum is headed in the right direction.....

Very useful info in here.....that I never knew......

Just Printed Me One For My Wall.....

Thanks Pimps.....

Stay Up

BKster
    test
  20. MgTheFuture

ON the first chart...each sound has a red and yellow region, clarify what that is specifying? for me
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.