Entrepreneurship aka The Emperor's New Clothes.

Discussion in 'Ladies Lounge' started by GaLaTeA, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

"The new dress will get you noticed, you'll be more stylish and especially unique because it'll radiate your taste and sense of style." This was the final part of one of the emails that I get on a daily basis. One entrepreneurial lady (with which, of course, there's nothing wrong), who judging by the form and content of the email should already know personally, wanted to sell me something.

The subject hardly falls into the spam category, because the letter is equipped with some very personal statements, but I read it twice, it already feels that my lady is actually doing me a favor of worrying about me and informing me about the novelties on today's market. All well and good, only if I actually cared about fashion.

Not a connoisseur of fashion and cosmetics nor do I wish to know anything particular about it. It's just an area to which I have no true interest or attitude towards. The fact that these areas represent strong markets and employ millions of people, also don't move me excessively. Even sales of weapons and human organs exceed all market forecasts, but I don't appreciate those people involved any more.

Anyhoo...

After receiving very friendly and personal letters, seems like there's a lot of people living off trying to sell me all sorts of crazy things. From advice on hairstyles and dressing, to stacking up clothing in my closet (according to the latest fashion-aesthetic standards, pretty please) to use these and other ointments, creams and herbs...

Winners of offers that I don't really need, would be from reliable modern healers of all kinds ~ astrologer, numerologists, and all those who make money on human credulity and inherited tendency to mysticism. Greater irony than the letter received from a budding fortune teller ~ that she's prepared to make all sorts of charts and calculations in exchange for pay ~ I almost don't know. If she actually was even a little good at what she does, she'd know not to offer her quasi services, right?

In fact, I'm always going to support the will of people who'd like to run their own business, that people can't distinguish between business and personal.
    test
  2. MissAndrya

MissAndrya Evolution is what is.

I'm not a full on entrepreneur, as I don't have the time to commit to my passions (art and photography). I take commissions for drawings, and bookings for photo shoots, but I don't advertise per se. In order to do that I would need to be able to meet the demands of clients, and as I only have weekends, really, that is difficult. I also do flowers for weddings ( I have been a florist by trade for nearly 20 years) outside of my full time job as a custodian in the afternoons.

As for fashion, I don't much follow the trends, I just buy what I like. I'm not a girlie girl, preferring my jeans and flip flops, but I clean up nice when the need arises.

People can be quite pushy when it comes to selling their wares, and I'm curious how it is this woman sends you personal messages. Do you know her? Or has she just chosen to to be that bold??

Either way, I'm sure if it bothered you that much, you would politely tell her you weren't interested or block /unsubscribe. There are certainly many like her out there. (My block list is FULL, lol)
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Amazing.

Painting is sooooo relaxing, though. But then again, there's nothing better than having a creative outlet.

Ah, trends. I remember once a few of those friendly, very same creatures that have taken thousands of years to implement earrings from noses to ears, were nagging me, that I had shoes from a previous collection?! Made me chuckle.

Not exactly sure if my dressing habits deserve the name of "style", but certainly I dress quite differently depending on the setting in which I'm at that moment. During the day I'm dressed in strictly business formal. Even on hot summer days. I don't know, I think in the world of business there are certain rules and protocols, which have their place, so I'm sticking with them. Here and there I'll witness some full of pimples, half bald computer geeks, who'll consider themselves as hot dogs, simply because they were invited to a meeting with managers, and they'll stroll in, wearing a dirty T-shirt, open shoes, and this horrible sweater, which get washed every once in a while by their mothers. Imo, those people are just being a jerk who helplessly try to feed some complex or insecurity. In the evening I prefer jeans and leather, both in the style of old rock. At least then it's easy to see to which generation I belong to. On the boat I'm more nautical, although far from any overbearing expensive nautical brands, which are the result of domination in fashion trends. I wear a lot of sportswear as well, and even there, I don't exaggerated in terms of the latest fashion trends ~ which only seem poser and silly.

I found out how she even got my e-mail address. Seems there was a ton of chain mail people send around (from funny vids to pics, jokes, etc.), and with it they usually mark send to all contacts; which mixmashes office+personal e-mails. It's an acquaintance of one of the employees here.

She is now, on my 700+ and growing list of blockees. I can imagine many other squeezing the block button as well. Since it doesn't make me want to buy anything she has to sell at all.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.