Eminem was/ is a great emcee, but he's not top 10.

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by TWAMP$iN, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geedorah

Geedorah King

Technically hes in top 10 easily,overall hardly in top 10,but hes in.I mean it mostly depends on ur mood at the moment,if ur fucked(mixed) up u listen to him,or if u mad and want to kill someone.
    test
  2. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

dream vodka is the greatest for drinks......tequila for shots.......beer, gun to my head at thirsty as hell at a spice girls reunion while blind, I would have to take a siera neveada, sapporo, stella, blue moon, or 50 of the lightest beer possible........
    test
  3. pyrrhic

pyrrhic Member

Surprised to see GURU falling short of peoples top 10. I think preference does matter. Otherwise you're just copying somebody else's opinion. People always automatically say pac and big are top 5 just because its been planted in their head. Am I the only one that doesn't have big or pac in my top 10?
    test
  4. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

Nope, Biggie is overated as fuck.
    test
  5. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

You're right on point with this one. Sometimes I'm in the mood for some Ras and sometimes I'm in the mood for some Snoop. I think it's undeniable that Ras is a way more complex lyricist, but I would have to put Snoop higher than Ras in any top 50.

Tupac deserves a better spot than Em because he's the single most important Mc in history. Pac was the closest the rap game ever had to a political figure. He's also more consistent. Em as produced too much garbage to be in the top 5.
    test
  6. battlefan

battlefan New Member

Em's Flow/Schemes are my favourite, i love how dude uses words, ideas and constructs verses. It's personal preference, his style and delivery is just my favourite.

He has to be discussed as one of the GOAT, surely...

[​IMG]
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

[youtube]XW27N-Ks7W8[/youtube]

theres arent 10 mcs past or present that can rip shit this hard
    test
  8. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

Never heard that before, but fuck me that's good.
    test
  9. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

You know what, if you gave me this track 10 years ago, I would be bumping this shit heavy, but I'm in a different head space right now... I know this was a great display of lyrical ability, but I probably won't be downloading this. And this is coming from someone who listened to the MM lp EXCLUSIVELY for a month straight.There's something missing and I can't put my finger on it.

Listen to this track right here. I'm not saying Nas is better than Em, but this is a better track IN MY OPINION. No crazy schemes or anything, just soul on wax.

[youtube]8zHMmvYrLNo[/youtube]
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Nas is one of the few rappers better than em... but a better track? nah, Eminem was vicious on the sauce... there was so much energy and passion (and I love that black zombies track)
    test
  11. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Hip Hop ain't all about rippin and comin hard on tracks..

if that was the case then most Wu members>Em

The Sauce is aight but c'mon, those tryna prove Em is top 10 are reachin with some of your reasoning/track selection..
    test
  12. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

how bout that rakim, he's said em is the best ever........

rapper being good is about making music more than one album deep......also appealing to not white audiences speaks to his breaking of bariers.......following vanilla ice as the white rapper, is so difficult, just to get a chance at.........sales and that are a thing but seperate.......

Hip hop isn't the rapper really, but i don't know what you mean by rippin tracks, if ins has ever ripped anything harder than em.......cappodona more so, the tracks ain't bareley sound like they have xanax iv's removed from his arms...........em stepped up a put rap into hand s of many who never woulda had it or given it a spin...........not putting em in top 10 is just being short sighted on his effect of the music.......

dream and i rgue nas now, but i have him easily in the top to.......i think cathes hate cuz of the love and stans..........
    test
  13. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

Yea but with that always comes the possibility and fear that hip hop will be exploited/misrepresented..Think about it, Em introduced kids to hip hop who had no idea of the culture's roots, where it came from, why it came to be, etc..He just inspired a generation of shock value/battle rappers not to give a fuck and opened doors for other white rappers that maybe weren't open before

Eminem introducing a whole new demographic to hip hop on a large scale can be seen as both a gift and curse..Gift: Hip Hop grew, expanded, and therefore the culture benefited. Curse: You got stans praisin Em while disrespectin those who paved the way for him and at the same time puttin Hip Hop and rap music in a box it doesn't necessairly belong in (e.g. Dream talking about The Sauce, like the end all be all of rap music is energetic, hard battle raps...) naw there's more to rap than that negative beef shit.

As for the Ra thing, I don't believe for 1 second Ra truly belives Em is goat, regardless of his skin color, I mean if Em is so great in Ra's eyes how come they neva laid down a track together? Ra's collabed with Nas, Canibus, even Maino, but why neva Em? Ra does what he do, and Em does what he do and I believe Ra respects him for that and his impact on the game, but I don't think he truly thinks Em is the best. He was probly just sayin that shit..Anyone tryna grasp at this for reasoning is reaaaachin..
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I'm pretty sure Rakim meant what he said as he said it not "GOAT" - Ali like style & prestige... rope a dope, defiant, controversial, big public life story and so on.

If you follow boxing you can break down champions, technique, careers, then vs now/prime vs youth vs age in all combinations, + or - training, longshots, upsets, easy wins, padding matches with nobodies, personal life's effects + or -, something to prove vs nothing to prove etc etc etc all day in different ways. It's all conjecture. That's what we try and do a lot with careers & skill 'cause we don't just see the one important match every now and then.
    test
  15. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

we can speculate as we know not the reasoning, but i have not know or heard of rakim making statements for any purpose involving the politics of rap.......even so, entertain that, so rakin says that but never works with em......if we are speculating, em and dre could have stopped any work together, as he was supposed to become an aftermath artists for years........dre says no, em says yes sir..........or, em kills ft verses........canibus is like a match with a dead thesaurus.........he would be like a warm up fight imo, before a big game...........

I agree fully the new demographic did a lot of negative in terms of music and how we can calculate pop.........people hate rap as much as ever, nut i'm sure thet'd rather hate a white rapper, and say i har him the best..........

Music belongs to whoever hears it and enjoys it..........it is black music, as is jazz, but white people liking it means just that more white people will hate it as well.........and knowing anything about the origins of jazz, amican experemetalism, etc...tought me noyjing excpet who the key artists were, and what they were trying to express..........

rap is seperated from music too often.....it's like they are two different concepts, or arts, rather than forms.....ie....classical and ska are still musicwhere rap was always
    rap, then maybe music.........

sorry got off topic.....em has created great songd poets have marveled at, given his use of words and imagery,,,,,,he is respected as at least top 6 by most, was a battle rapper which is a miracle inn it's self.........
    test
  16. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

The entire argument is: Does top 10 mean who you'd rather listen to, or does it include impact? If it does, that reshapes my entire 10 TBH.
    test
  17. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

i know what the arguement is, and I feel like they should have many common rappers, at least 4 or 5...........but top ten is bigger than ones opinion......it's something that is usualy so close differing by not much more than like 30% or so usually............but this thread is not really serious, its an em thread......its great to argue, though most agree, admit it or mot..........it can eventually come down yo a big circe of no one being valid in opinions, but mine are valid to me, and rakims to him...........

and tjis list is about 1 or the other.....it's about both, there are ggrey areas and overlaps
    test
  18. Geedorah

Geedorah King

I say your all just too god damn sensitive
    It's censorship
    And it's down right blasphemous
    Listen to shit now cause I won't stand for this

THis is why people started liking him.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.