Editing and Revising.. 2 seperate things.

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Sykda, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sykda

Sykda New Member

This is my view on the two..

Editing is when you are fixing the grammar and mechanical errors.

Revising is when you improve your writing or update it. Its when you go through your piece and replace redundant words. And when you change up details, and you add more vivid imagery in it.

Simple, editing is correcting your paper (Proof reading) and Revising is when you upgrade your piece.

Correct me if Im wrong.. Just thought I'd give my thought.
    test
  2. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Add to that rewriting, which is what usually you need to do with a piece at least once or twice, in fiction, scrapping entire scenes, and making new ones that convey you're intentions better, redoing dialog, etc, in poetry, not only skewering the shit out of its extraneous wording, but rearranging, and rethinking how you've gone at the topic... I had a teach who suggested if you start getting frustrated with a piece, poetry or prose, to put it aside (but don't throw it away, and rewrite the whole thing from memory without looking at it, this will create new nuances and even sparks brand new ideas and concepts... then compare the two and work them together with the good parts...

The revising you mentioned is kinda what's called copy paste editing... changing single words around, usually you'll want to rewrite the entire line if you find a single word to replace, you can probably make the whole line more concise.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.