Echo question.

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Jones Jung, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

I've been seeing alot of talk about adding echo to your vocals to beef them up a little bit. My question is which part of the vocals do you add it to though?

I'm pretty sure you add it to overdubs, but what else?

If I were to do these steps in recording, which would get echo added?

Main (Verse)
    Back-Up (verse recorded again, then set alot lower db's)
    Dubs
    Adlibs
    test
  2. Stash

Stash R.I.P Point Game

Depends honestly. I would reverb/delay the whole main verse - however automate the delays mainly alot based on the song. As for the backup I would listen to my main verse and reverb or delay accordingly to what sounds good to my ears. As for the Dubs I would delay automate them and possibly even reverb them in some cases. finally the adlibs I would give them a stereo delay or again.. whatever sounds good to my ears. there are no rules - atleast to myself. I would do anything to the vocals be it the right thing to do or wrong. As long as it sounds good.

All you have to do is do what sounds good. A good way is to listen to a song very close to your style through a headphone and closely listen to how that engineer did the song. listen to a coupla songs then do what sounds good to you.
    test
  3. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

Stash, the way I understood is that you wouldn't reverb the main verse? Jus echoing?

Did I read that right? Sounds different from anything I ever heard before if that's what you're saying.
    test
  4. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

...N/M...

I read wrong, thanks for the advice. Anyone else do anything different?
    test
  5. slvicick

slvicick New Member

Naw, stash pretty much covered it
    test
  6. Pete Wurthy

Pete Wurthy The Rap Mechanic

You can beef vocals up by doing several different things.
    Try double stacking your lead track for instance. It all depends on what kind of sound you are trying to achieve. I would use reverb instead of echoing to 'beef' up a sound though personally, as it will just alter the sound without having it echo and it will be more clean.
    test
  7. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

Though there are no rules it's better to leave delay and reverb off of your verses, or at least apply very subtle amounts.. the reason is that you need to set some differences between the verses and the chorus & bridges.. one way to make the chorus seem bigger than the verses is to apply reverb and delay only to the chorus and maybe the bridge.. but leave the lead vocals dry.. if you use reverb and delay throughout the entire mix then you are not allowing any build up to the energy of the song.. big energetic songs can seem very small if there is no change from start to finish.. you'll get better results by just layering the lead more to make it bigger in itself.. don't pan the lead vocal doubles very far from center.. then when the chorus drops in.. apply moderate reverb and delay and pan the doubles really wide up in the 80's - 90's.. this will set them apart and lend to the illusion of the energy building up.. I call it an illusion because you could make the entire song big and panned out and yeah it's big throughout, but if it doesn't change energywise it takes away from the effect.. people don't realize how much energy is there because there is nothing to compare it to.. when something builds up to a really energetic chorus it makes it seem like it has twice as much energy.. hard to explain, but I hope this has helped.. if you have further questions hit my email.. roushy1@gmail.com best of luck.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.