Drakes Equation - killing ufo theorists

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

t basicly puts a period on the idea of multiple planets that harbor intelligent life

this is the equation:
    N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

heres a video on it

[youtube]6AnLznzIjSE[/youtube]
    Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    test
  2. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

first of all, if you're going to include a video and information as such, at least get the basics right.

UFO = unidentified flying object

that's self explanatory. the thread and video itself lose major credibility on this alone.

second of all, an equation at most could be as realistic as "UFO evidence". no matter what you wanna call it, people will always find a way to argue, dispute, and dismiss the matter.

"you can bring a donkey to water but you can't make him drink"

next, these people talk about "evidence" yet have no understanding of the meaning and term. (neither do i). in some regard, it's an indefinable term imo.

next, how can one "consider the unknown" when it's unknown? i know the question i presented might seem stupid but the "unknown" is infinite in description, definition, and explanation.

anyways, i watched this entire 7 and a half minute video and your thread title is extremely off base. seems to me like you're subliminally trying to disapprove aliens and co-sign religion. if i'm wrong, please correct me kind sir.
    test
  3. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i think there's some truth this statement, but i think that the value of evidence ultimately boils down to how evidence is applied.

we all understand the gist of what evidence is supposed to be: facts which support a conclusion. the problem with stuff like religion/conspiracy theories/alien encounters/etc is that people have this idea that they can selectively list misleading facts without context or even unproven 'facts' or anecdotes and then use that to form a sound conclusion.

i think one area where evidence is pretty effectively applied is science, which in my opinion is the standard that should be applied to ufo/alien theories, since these are ultimately scientific questions.

in science, evidence must be documented in a way so that it can be independently verified or refuted. to my knowledge, no such evidence for aliens exists which meets this very important criteria.

as for the video, you should at the very least be struck by the fact that there's an entire organization of scientists dedicated to searching the cosmos for signs of alien life which have so far come up empty handed, while new ufo sightings and other such 'encounter' stories continue to pop up on the internet every day.
    test
  4. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

[youtube]-4CYcp5wObs[/youtube]
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

so i didnt watch this video but ive seen one like it where it explained that this equation says there is TONs of planets that could harbour life
    test
  6. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

This is specificly regaurdung intelligent life
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

hmm

well theres a youtube vid for everything
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah see ive seen this same equation come out with the answer of millions of civilizations.

Its all in what you numbers you plug into the equation.

the problem is that this equation assumes the civilizations would die out.

but if you assume they wont die out you can use the same equation and come out with a completely different answer which is in the millions

so basically this equation can be used to support both sides of teh argument.

infact this is the first time ive seen it used to say theres few.
    test
  9. reggie jax

tl;dr
    this shit is bogus. it preys on the fact that people want to believe this kind of stuff is true, so they won't take any time to try to debunk it.

long version:

there are a number of serious problems with this video. the overall theme of those problems is that everything about these formations points to a human origin.

1.) crop circles are made by humans using very crude tools.

a board with a string attached. this has been documented by the very people who are responsible for making crop circles.

[youtube]puDF0hJpzWo[/youtube]

the phenomenon of crop circles (as we know them today) really only goes back to the 1970's, when people in england started making them. the trend started in southern england, and to this day 90% of the crop circles of the world appear in southern england - which makes sense since this is where most of the people who make them live. not surprisingly, this is also where the formations in your video appeared.

so the very idea that aliens would use this as a form of communication is a little silly when you think about it, since it's a uniquely human phenomenon which arose rather recently - why would aliens conform to the image that humans have constructed for them?

2.) the aliens depicted are taken straight from the movies.

this 'humanoid' image of aliens is very unlikely to be what aliens actually look like, since our features are largely dependent on evolutionary circumstance.

the idea that aliens would look essentially like grey people with long faces assumes that evolution played out on their home planet in almost the exact way that it happened here, which is unlikely at best.

and once again, why would we think that hollywood has gotten their image of aliens exactly right? a much more reasonable explanation is that the images were made by humans who, through exposure to sci-fi, have come to picture aliens in that way.

3.) the aliens traveled all the way to earth to return a vague message without making actual contact.

think about this for a second. they received sagan's message via radiowaves.

so they knew we use radiowaves to communicate, which travel at the speed of light (much faster, it's safe to assume, than any space ship). they were able to decode the binary language the message was written in. why not simply return the message via radio signals? ah, because that would require someone with an actual radio trasmitter in space, which is beyond the budget of most circlemakers.

so instead these aliens flew to earth, landed next door to an observatory, completely unnoticed, and used their advanced technology to flatten a bunch of wheat with the hopes of sending a message to humans.

if they traveled all this way, they could have just, ya know, talked to a human? or left us behind a dvd recording of them doing alien shit, since they're apparently privy to our technology (the video suggests they used ASCII to spell out a cryptic message in english in the form of a series of 'bytes').
    test
  10. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

"1.) crop circles are made by humans using very crude tools.

a board with a string attached. this has been documented by the very people who are responsible for making crop circles."

smh

you obviously haven't done your necessary enough research on the matter of crop circles.

a good majority of crop circles have been proven fake. a good portion of crop circles have been proven to be real.

i'll read the rest of your stuff later but you sound sure and that's not right.
    test
  11. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

lol @ UFO theorist.

pretty honest label if u ask me
    test
  12. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie,
    test
  13. reggie jax

its been demonstrated that they can be made by humans with simple tools and a bit of coordination.

its yet to be demonstrated that any crop circles were made by aliens, and once again it wouldn't really make sense for aliens to make them since it seems to be a human pass time.
    test
  14. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

again, the majority of crop circles have a reasonable explanation and more than likely have been created by human beings. then again, a lot of crop circles have turned up overnight that are absolutely impossible for any amount of human beings to create and have left scientists and other alike baffled without explanations. this is a fact.
    i'm not saying these were created by "aliens" but they're impossible for humans to create in the short amount of time given without any evidence what so ever that any human(s) have left behind.
    you and i (us humans) don't understand what makes sense or doesn't make sense in that regard as we're mere mortals compared to the unknown out there. you're quick to turn a shoulder and that's typical human behavior.
    test
  15. reggie jax

...based on what? what makes them impossible for humans to create?
    i understand that when i have evidence humans can create complex crop circles with simple tools, it always makes sense to assume humans are responsible until you have some direct evidence that something else was involved.

you call it quick to turn a shoulder. i call it critical thinking.
    test
  16. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

i'm really getting tired of going back and forth with you. there's been many occasions when these gigantic crop circles appear overnight that mathematically, are absolutely 100 percent without a doubt impossible for any amount of humans to make given that time span. and this has been done within cities that NOBODY has seen or heard anybody do anything. have you done research?! i think you're arguing this based off your own beliefs with is respectable but there's fuckin' shitloads of credible information out there.
    test
  17. reggie jax

the problem is that you can't just say "there's tons of cases where it's 100 percent absolutely mathematically impossible for crop circles to be made by any amount of humans" and then expect that its on me to go out and find those cases. the bottom line is you're making far-fetched claims without backing them up and then getting frustrated at me for not accepting them as proof.
    test
  18. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

i think i am getting frustrated but that's because i honestly don't think it's necessary nor do i want to go and pull up all these stories, videos, documents, pictures, etc. considering they're steadily available at anybody's convenience. yes, a lot of it is bullshit but a lot of it comes from extremely credible sources which cannot be disputed. i've done my research on this matter for over 2 decades now and i seriously don't consider myself a gullible or inept person but shit man lol
    test
  19. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

My reaction to this video.

Thee Drake equation is a joke...it assumes for one, that stars form. In reality, there is not one form of evidence to show this has ever happened or that star formation is even possible and it assumes the age of the universe. Humans are not capable of looking into space like how what we are taught. The rates used in this equation are a pipe dream...

This video also assumes "scientists" are finding "exo-planets everywhere". This video gives too much credit to organizations of Man like SETI, assuming these people have, on the ready, potential to answer these impossible questions. Our technology is not that impressive.

"Scientists" are given god like status, when the reality is they are just human like me and you. Our ability to gaze into the 'cosmos' is very limited and much is done to give the impression that it is unlimited.

I also note the humanist buzz words and phrases used in this video that are now common mantra, phrases like

-"technology to wage war, destroy our environment" = humans are bad
    -"population stabilization" = humans must die to save mother
    -"brief appearance on cosmic stage" = religious mantra
    -"scientists" are finding... = Majority opinion establishes truth, but is not by real science
    -"future discovery" = when the time is right, conclusions will fit humanist agenda
    -"no right answer...not yet" = The propaganda required changes as agenda changes, "science" is flexible.

No surprise, this video is presented by TED, one of the biggest humanist video collections out there.
    test
  20. reggie jax

"not real science" = contradicts ancient scroll
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.